Designer profiles unibody iPhone 5 case design, antenna changes

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Capacitive areas don't work through cloth.

They certainly do. My colleagues CrapBerry is always doing things in his pocket, even when it's supposed to be locked (it frequently unlocks itself for no apparent reason other than being a piece of junk).
  • Reply 42 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's not a piece of solid metal.

It would have to be to work as suggested, though I don't really see this clearly in the pictures, not that it couldn't be there. But you can see how I was confused based on Apple Insider's reported assessment:
    As with Apple's unibody MacBooks and iPad shells, it appears the iPhone 5's new one piece backplate and sides is milled from a single piece of metal, with integrated "bosses" that provide points to screw down the logic board and other internal components.

As for the home button, I would agree, a rectangular button at this point would be a better way to go than take up all that space. My reason for a smaller touch sensitive button was to remove a major mechanical component from daily use. The concave nature of the button would prevent accidental triggering, and making it smaller would be offset by the fact you don't actually have to depress it as far. Your convex finger only need make contact in the general area.

My motive is selfish, as every iPhone I have had has developed a sticky home button -- that is, it stops reliably responding after a certain amount of time. When they added double-tapping, that really caused problems. My iPhone 4 is the worst. Sometimes I have to place the phone on a table and press with full weight on a finger to get it to respond.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    My motive is selfish, as every iPhone I have had has developed a sticky home button -- that is, it stops reliably responding after a certain amount of time. When they added double-tapping, that really caused problems. My iPhone 4 is the worst. Sometimes I have to place the phone on a table and press with full weight on a finger to get it to respond.

I've been dealing with that for awhile. I've taken mine apart (somewhat) and cleaned it. It seems to work a little.

This is the longest I've own any single phone or iPhone. Because of the release data change up for the iPhone to take over the release time of the dying iPod I am now over 2 years with the same iPhone. I'm not sure I'll do that again. it's just not worth spending a few hundred dollars a year for a new device.

Also, I will be getting AppleCare+. At $100 it helps the resale and if I could have taken my iPhone in and got a fresh one for a $50 cost (assuming that the 2 year coverage wouldn't have got me a new one for free) I would have done that gladly.
  • Reply 44 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

They certainly do. My colleagues CrapBerry is always doing things in his pocket, even when it's supposed to be locked (it frequently unlocks itself for no apparent reason other than being a piece of junk).

Yeah, it works through friction and heat, and may respond if the cloth is thin separating the body and the screen.

• Reply 45 of 50
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

As for the home button, I would agree, a rectangular button at this point would be a better way to go than take up all that space. My reason for a smaller touch sensitive button was to remove a major mechanical component from daily use. The concave nature of the button would prevent accidental triggering, and making it smaller would be offset by the fact you don't actually have to depress it as far. Your convex finger only need make contact in the general area.

Same for me. I usually have to blow the connector to make it more responsive.

Although it is a feature that makes iPhone distinct, I believe it is time for Apple to let it go.

I takes a huge space otherwise would have been taken by the screen and being a mechanical part it breaks often.

• Reply 46 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Same for me. I usually have to blow the connector to make it more responsive.

…being a mechanical part it breaks often.

Really need to take better care of your stuff… 

• Reply 47 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I usually have to blow the connector to make it more responsive.

How are we suppose to resist that setup?
  • Reply 48 of 50
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Yeah, it works through friction and heat, and may respond if the cloth is thin separating the body and the screen.

Friction and heat have no effect. It's entirely about the thickness of the material separating the conductive surface (your skin) from the touch panel, and the dielectric constant of that material. If heat were involved, how would any human operate an iPhone that's at finger temperature?

• Reply 49 of 50
    Good question...i was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is conducive to better antenna reception for Cell, Radio, or hopefully Satellite radio. Probably not though.
  • Reply 50 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I love the thin factor but hate the bezels. The screen is still perceived as a tiny window compared to the entire front panel :(

Me too. Plus it's too prone to scratches...I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me on that.