Apple's Mac OS X 10.8.1 update to address Thunderbolt display noise issue, more

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday evening began providing its developers with the first maintenance update to its Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion operating system released just weeks ago.

People familiar with the matter say the 38.5MB beta release was accompanied with a set of release notes identifying no known issues.

Instead, the Mac maker asked developers to focus their testing efforts around USB, PAC proxies in Safari, Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange support in Mail.

Apple also made a specific request for testers to evaluate WiFi and audio when connected to a Thunderbolt display, suggesting it has attempted to address problems in this area after MacBook Air users said they were experiencing audio issues -- static, distortion and crackling -- when they connect their notebooks to the company's latest 27-inch LED display.

Apple has historically aimed to push out its first maintenance release for major operating systems milestones in a swift manner, suggesting we could see a formal release of the software in the coming weeks.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion made its debut on the Mac App Store on July 25th. It saw a record 3 million downloads in just 4 days, immediately making it Apple's most successful release for the Mac ever.

For its part, Mac OS X 10.8.1 surfaced in the news just hours ago when it was listed as part of a system profile for an unreleased 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display that was apparently used to submit benchmark scores to Geekbench. That prototype MacBook Pro was running build 12A2066 of the forthcoming update while the build released to developers friday carried build number 12B13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Nothing surprising then :)
  • Reply 2 of 24

I had a very strange thing yesterday... my screen went black (still powered on), the mouse cursor was still there... then the display powered off... and this cycle repeated 5-6 times in 2 minutes, then the screen came back...  2010 iMac 27 inch...  when I hit escape, the screen would flash briefly...

Hasn't done it since... 

• Reply 3 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Hasn't done it since... 

Sounds like evil spirits to me. Have you tried an exorcism? (command-X + holy water while rebooting)

• Reply 4 of 24
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Safari 6.0 is in sore need of an update, it is currently unusable. Stalls when loading even simple pages. In fact it took me a full two minutes to get this page to load to write this comment.
  • Reply 5 of 24

Did a clean install of ML on a 2007 iMac and I have to say, this is the fastest and most stable my Mac has ever been.  Good job, Apple.

• Reply 6 of 24
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Did a clean install of ML on a 2007 iMac and I have to say, this is the fastest and most stable my Mac has ever been.  Good job, Apple.

did the same on my macbook air 2011 i7.

it feels a little faster and safari is awesome, but it was already very fast anyway. since i do not own more apple products, mountain lion did not bring anything (to me...) special. then again, i knew it beforehand.

i am looking for aditional features like facebook integration (iphoto already had it..)

these airs are really amazing machines.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

"How many gigs of RAM, Carmine?" I've been holding off on my aught eight MacBook Pro to see about RAM usage.

• Reply 8 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

They need to fix more than issues using the Thunderbolt display. There are wifi issues without using this display too. Safari is also quite slow, even on a fast connection. 

• Reply 9 of 24
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

You might try some troubleshooting of either the OS X install or hardware if you find Safari 6.0 takes 2 minutes to load an AppleInsider page because I am not seeing this behaviour and it has not been commonly reported. 

• Reply 10 of 24

I have never experienced a freeze on my 27" 2010 iMac until installing ML but now get one a day usually after wakened from sleep then all apps prove unresponsive. A lot of things seem slower and also the computer seems to be running hotter. Next time I wait until the maintenance release.

• Reply 11 of 24
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

I wonder if this will also address the battery issues that even AppleInsider has reported on.

I'm still running 10.7.4, waiting for various bugs to be squashed.  I usually like to run the latest and greatest version of Mac OS X, but there seems to be more that changed/become_more_annoying with ML than things that are welcome, good changes, especially for a non-iCloud user like me.

• Reply 12 of 24
    "How many gigs of RAM, Carmine?" I've been holding off on my aught eight MacBook Pro to see about RAM usage.

I can't say where the sweet spot is but ram usage is definitely higher in mountain lion.

My mid 2011 mac mini ran lion just fine with its original 2Gb ram but struggled and paused all over the place after the upgrade to mountain lion Seems very happy again now it's got 8 gb in it and all the stalling has gone away.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Safari 6.0 is in sore need of an update, it is currently unusable. Stalls when loading even simple pages. In fact it took me a full two minutes to get this page to load to write this comment.

Safari 6.0 on both 10.8 and 10.7.4 has been very fast for me. Occasional stalls when first loading a page could be anything from the DNS service to the ISP to the target website's server not being able to keep up. 

I did have two Kernel Panics one day - very different details in the crash report - not sure how to tell from them what is going on. Not sure if I can recall many (or any) kernel panics on 10.7.4. 

one the kernel panics had this: BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Microsoft Databa - the other one seems to have gotten cut off - I may have forced a power cycle while it was being collected.

system temperatures are lower with 10.8 0 might go down bit more when my SSD drive arrives. 

I have a BookEndz docking station - 16GB of RAM (MacBook Pro 2011 quad 17") - external DVI monitor to Thunderbolt - and DisplayLink external monitor 

• Reply 14 of 24

Not sure of the issue, but Photoshop Elements 10 on my Mid 2010 MBP is running at a snails pace.  I can no even use the program any longer.  Not sure if it is ML or another issue, but the issue never happened before i installed ML.

• Reply 15 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

I had a very strange thing yesterday... my screen went black (still powered on), the mouse cursor was still there... then the display powered off... and this cycle repeated 5-6 times in 2 minutes, then the screen came back...  2010 iMac 27 inch...  when I hit escape, the screen would flash briefly...

Hasn't done it since... 

I didn't have all that you mentioned happen but it did wake itself up on its own. My 27" 2011 iMac was probably asleep for about half an hour so when it woke up to its login screen. I hope there's no 666 in any of its code. lol Besides just that one instance Mountain Lion runs smooth and cooler and I have lots of media software on my iMac.

• Reply 16 of 24
    08 MacBook pro with 4gb ram and it's never been faster.

Safari give odd refresh issues when scrolling though. Not too big a deal

I do wish apple would change 1 thing in safari though and have submitted it regularly since they took it away in 5.1

The progress bar only gives activity feedback when main page loads. Load anything in an iframe/ frame and no indication it is doing anything.
    Used to before, but taken away in 5.1. Can't understand why.

Please, if anyone agrees send this request to apple to bring it back
  • Reply 17 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I can't say where the sweet spot is but ram usage is definitely higher in mountain lion.

My mid 2011 mac mini ran lion just fine with its original 2Gb ram but struggled and paused all over the place after the upgrade to mountain lion Seems very happy again now it's got 8 gb in it and all the stalling has gone away.

Sorry but ram usage is better than it was with lion.

• Reply 18 of 24
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I wonder if this will also address the battery issues that even AppleInsider has reported on.

I'm still running 10.7.4, waiting for various bugs to be squashed.  I usually like to run the latest and greatest version of Mac OS X, but there seems to be more that changed/become_more_annoying with ML than things that are welcome, good changes, especially for a non-iCloud user like me.

Lost 1.5 hours of battery life with ML on my MacBook 6,1

• Reply 19 of 24
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

I have a weird thing going on my my late 2008 iMac. After installing ML things were great until last weekend. For some reason (I was not in the room at the time), my system re-booted, or at least tried to. I did several attempts to re-start my machine, it took several attempts and several hours, but when I was finally able to get my iMac back up and running, there was no sound. So, back to re-boots, again it crashed several times, and I finally restarted by iMac. But, now the weird part, when I have multiple programs running, say six or seven, only four of the programs have the little 'on' light under the program icon in the dock. If I use the 'command'-'tab' to cycle through the open programs, the ones without the little light under it, be it numbers, or iTunes, don't show up on the command-tab display of open programs. If I click on the icon in the dock, they pop up without any trouble at all, as if I had used 'command-tab'........

Anyone heard of this???

• Reply 20 of 24
    xmbxmb Posts: 18member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Check you don't have any expired certificates in your keychain (use Utilities > Keychain Access.app and delete the expired certificates) as this causes a lot of issues with slow speed. If you had a mobile me account you will have expired certificates!