Next-gen iPhone orders to start Sept. 12 ahead of Sept. 21 U.S. launch, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49

Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post

Also, I am only going to be out of the country for a couple months, so I am not going to cancel my contract, so I won't have to pay the ETF.

So you're fine with paying AT&T hundreds of dollars for service you cannot and will not be using?

So if I buy the locked iPhone, is there no way at all I can unlock it for the first year or so?

I dunno. It has varied depending on the model. There's not an iPhone 4S unlock yet.

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

(and that's just not the case)

There were certainly a ton of USB accessories before Apple implemented the port.

This isn't chicken and egg. Something has to come first, and that something is the client-side hardware. Heck, I doubt it's a dedicated chip at all.

So what else? I'm just not seeing anything compelling here.

You've taken every single compelling feature and marginalized it. Looks like you shouldn't be bothering with an iPhone at all. Head on over to Android where there are zero features, compelling or otherwise, between models to upgrade, then.

• Reply 42 of 49

So how likely is it that an unlocked version of the new iphone will be released at the same time as the locked version, and that at&t will extend the current unlocking offer to users of the new iphone?

• Reply 43 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post

So how likely is it that an unlocked version of the new iPhone will be released at the same time as the locked version…

I imagine pretty darn high. 

…and that at&t will extend the current unlocking offer to users of the new iPhone?

0%. In 2014, sure, you can get it unlocked.

• Reply 44 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member

I have an iPhone 4, which is feeling very sluggish, so I'm definitely getting a 5.  

• Reply 45 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    You've taken every single compelling feature and marginalized it. Looks like you shouldn't be bothering with an iPhone at all. Head on over to Android where there are zero features, compelling or otherwise, between models to upgrade, then.
    Haha, overreact much? I didn't say I was unhappy with the iPhone platform. I just didn't see that much of an improvement over the iPhone 4, much less 4S to justify it for myself.

I may have marginalized it, but honestly, these new features are not for everybody. Sure if you're a first time buyer, or have a 3GS I could see the motivation. Likewise for any subset of new features a person deems desirable. And rest assured Apple will continue to sell buckets of iPhone 4s for those who feel as I do. For the average smartphone user, I guess 4G LTE will be the most compelling feature to upgrade, assuming you live in an area with good coverage. As for the other major changes, personally, I would just as soon the phone not get any bigger, so that's lost on me. Don't get me wrong. If had $300 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'd upgrade. Early adopters will surely have a lot of fun, as well as frustration trying to use all the cutting edge new features, and dealing with the new dock connector. But a year from now not only will the infrastructure be more solid to support those features, but the 2013 iPhone is likely to have something really major to introduce as well.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I just didn't see that much of an improvement over the iPhone 4, much less 4S to justify it for myself.

Did you ignore the benchmarks and specs between the 4 and 4S? The 6th one is going to surpass those. I don't see how you can't see it as an improvement, even though we don't know anything about it! Let's assume A5X and 1GB of RAM. That's still more powerful than what we have now, and that's before whatever they do with the camera, LTE, etc.

There's an expected two year upgrade cycle for a reason, too. If Next Year's Model doesn't do it over your ownership of This Year's Model, that's because it's meant to attract owners of Last Year's Model.

• Reply 47 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Did you ignore the benchmarks and specs between the 4 and 4S? The 6th one is going to surpass those.
    I'm well aware of the benchmarks and specs for all of the iPhones. And OF COURSE the 6th one will surpass them, as each did to its predecessor prior.

My point is, the iPhone 4S didn't offer much over my iPhone 4 to warrant upgrading, and nothing about the new rumored iPhone so far suggests a reason for ME to personally upgrade. Likewise, the 3G and 3GS had superior benchmarks and specs to my original iPhone, but I found nothing compelling about either to warrant shelling out another $300+ to upgrade to them. The iPhone 4 on the other hand, was worth every penny. And as far as I'm concerned, still does everything I need it to do, with plenty of speed, making it hard for me to believe the next iPhone will significantly improve upon to justify plunking down another $300+, but that's me. I just don't find the new rumored features compelling enough either. from my point of view, they largely appear to appeal to various niche markets, each of which may embrace some new feature, or features, but otherwise ignore others. As I've already stated, aside from the usual speed bumps, I don't see any real universal features or improvements to appeal to the average user, like myself, at least for those of us with the 4 or 4S.
  • Reply 48 of 49

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

My point is, the iPhone 4S didn't offer much over my iPhone 4 to warrant upgrading…

*tweet*

Personal foul, unnecessary trolling, 9.85 yard penalty, first down. image

Right, right, we can chalk anything up to 'personal opinion', but when every single facet of the device is upgraded, it becomes difficult to say that 'not much was offered' with a straight face. But again, you also make some decent sense here in that these phones are designed to be upgraded every two years, so the most compelling stuff comes at your upgrade date. 

…and nothing about the new rumored iPhone so far suggests a reason for ME to personally upgrade.

I hope you reserve final judgement on this until it actually exists, just as I am reserving my final judgement on my absolute and full hatred of 16:9 in any use other than landscape widescreen for video content alone (see, I'm open to change. I'm fine with being completely wrong about what I'm saying here. I've certainly looked the fool in the past for what I've said before holding something in my hands, and I look back and laugh at myself. Take matte screens. image And to a lesser extent, the 4:3 nature of the iPad until I fully understood why that was brilliant. And off I go on a tangent…) until I get this gorgeous thing in my hands and see for myself.

• Reply 49 of 49
    Did you ignore the benchmarks and specs between the 4 and 4S? The 6th one is going to surpass those. I don't see how you can't see it as an improvement, even though we don't know anything about it! Let's assume A5X and 1GB of RAM. That's still more powerful than what we have now, and that's before whatever they do with the camera, LTE, etc.

There's an expected two year upgrade cycle for a reason, too. If Next Year's Model doesn't do it over your ownership of This Year's Model, that's because it's meant to attract owners of Last Year's Model.
    Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking.