Apple's talks with Korean carriers further suggest next iPhone will support LTE networks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Apple is going to need to make more iPhone variations for LTE than they ever have before. I researched just how many LTE bands are in use around the world and it is substantial. And many carriers around the world will be using two or more bands. A correction to the article though. Sprint's main LTE band now rolled out is their PCS band which is 1900. The 800 is currently still being used for the old Nextel Iden but it will be repurposed for LTE next year. All the current LTE cities are using 1900 so Sprint would need support for those two bands in the future, but I would guess this next iPhone will only support 1900 and they will add 800 support to the 2013 model. 

• Reply 22 of 32
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not in the slightest. 4G is LTE and up, not HSPA+ garbage. If you want to pretend the iPhone 4S has 4G, then by definition my first-gen iPhone also has 4G, even when it's on GPRS. 

Does your og iphone say 4G? I think not.  ATT's iphone 4S does.  Not arguing if its real 4G or not. 

• Reply 23 of 32

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Does your og iphone say 4G? I think not.  ATT's iphone 4S does.  Not arguing if its real 4G or not. 

No, that's exactly what you're arguing. And yes, my phone says "4G". I can make it say whatever I want. My phone can say 'Corn' up there, does that mean it downloads at the speed of syrup? 

What it says doesn't matter. What it does does. 

• Reply 24 of 32
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    Of course it's getting 4G. Why do I even log in here!? There was evidence in Walter Issacsons biography when steve talked to siri on the 4S, he said it would get better with 4G

And because of their unique dual antenna system the phone wound operate faster than most 4G phones.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    No, that's exactly what you're arguing. And yes, my phone says "4G". I can make it say whatever I want. My phone can say 'Corn' up there, does that mean it downloads at the speed of syrup? 

What it says doesn't matter. What it does does. 

I wouldn't think you were one to jailbreak.
  • Reply 26 of 32

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I wouldn't think you were one to jailbreak.

The only thing I've ever utilized that for is making my phone usable beyond the Emergency Call screen. I was never going to be able to pay for a plan/activation when I got it, so I followed the original (pre-jailbreak days) hacking team closely and managed to get it hacktivated just five days after launch using a string of Terminal commands unique to my device. This was on iPhone OS 1.0, mind, "jailbreaking" hadn't even been coined as a phrase yet. The first image of steel bars in a prison didn't show up until the first one-button solution about a month or so later, I think. 

I've never bothered with Cydia (Installer! Remember that?) except to try out the very first TapTap game (back before apps were legitimate when they couldn't make their own). It wasn't called TapTap back then; I forget the original name… 

• Reply 27 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    If you're in an LTE area, yes you can.  However if there is no LTE coverage, you can't.  
    Just another reason to save my money and skip this upgrade. Nothing really substantial here over the iPhone 4 series.

I must say I do like the mock up photo in this article, I hadn't seen that one. If is is actually the real design, then the annodized black case looks good with black glass ... And I'm now convinced Apple will make the back top and bottom plates glass to match the front and make the design somewhat symmetrical, not plastic.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    The only thing I've ever utilized that for is making my phone usable beyond the Emergency Call screen. I was never going to be able to pay for a plan/activation when I got it, so I followed the original (pre-jailbreak days) hacking team closely and managed to get it hacktivated just five days after launch using a string of Terminal commands unique to my device. This was on iPhone OS 1.0, mind, "jailbreaking" hadn't even been coined as a phrase yet. The first image of steel bars in a prison didn't show up until the first one-button solution about a month or so later, I think. 

I've never bothered with Cydia (Installer! Remember that?) except to try out the very first TapTap game (back before apps were legitimate when they couldn't make their own). It wasn't called TapTap back then; I forget the original name… 

Yes, I remember Installer, lol. When I get my iPhone, I'm keeping both of my iPod touches jailbroken with one like hardcore hacked (like stuff I've made - just for testing) and the other just some simple stuff. And I will keep my iPhone clean.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Here is a list of all the LTE bands in use worldwide. My dream iPhone will support bands 25, 26, and 41. I think the 2012 Sprint iPhone will only support band 25 on Sprint and add the other bands either in 2013 or 2014. Verizon and AT&T both run their LTE networks in the 700-MHz band. But Verizon's network is mostly in 746-787MHz, while AT&T's will be primarily in 704-746MHz. Some Verizon and AT&T spectrum overlaps in an area called the "lower B block," but not much. Verizon could build its phones to exclude AT&T's frequencies, and vice versa which is what happened with the iPad and will likely happen again with an LTE iPhone. 

• Reply 30 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    just_me wrote: »
    No one has solved the LTE drain issue. Putting a large battery like the iPad 3 and droid maxx was one way to differ the issue. Might be a reason why apple increased the screen size of the iphone 5.
    This has come up before. So if true, does that mean the size of the phone might return to the smaller format once batteries are more efficient? .

I'm not the only one who would prefer not to have a larger iPhone, and has no need for a 16:9 screen.

In which case, perhaps with the 2013 iPhone, they might be in the position to offer two sizes, perhaps even shrinking the current size of the iPhone even more without sacrificing standard batty life and LTE.

But as long as i dont have a choice, it also suggests that turning off LTE would significantly increase 3G battery life, which could come in handy, especially as the battery ages and performance declines.
  • Reply 31 of 32

The latest iteration from Apple for its iPhone with LTE is a very good start towards the inclusion of this latest technology in its hardware and the upgrades to its latest ios operating system will eventually make a pave in the upcoming years.

• Reply 32 of 32
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Agree. Was disappointed that they stuck the 4G moniker on the 4S, but understand why they did it.

4S pales in comparison to LTE on the iPad 3.