MPEG releases H.265 draft, promises twice the video quality by 2013

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    noahj wrote: »
    It was in response to the specific assertion made that one computer could not have ore than one iTunes library open at a time. You can, I have done it, and I told how. Do what you will with the information. In response to your question or topic about a system for delivery of iTunes. It would be cool. Whether or not it will ever be made is another question.

Ok, cool. Thanks for clarification. I will be trying this soon as I get home!
  • Reply 82 of 91

Some additional experiments with streaming using:

• OS X Mountain Lion
    • all Apple Apps latest versions
    • latest iMac 27 tricked out
    • Latest AppleTV
    • Latest AirPort Extreme
    • iPad 2 and iPad 3 tricked out
    • iOS 6

ML AirPlay Mirroring to AppleTV

Works With Mirroring

• Quicktime 7
    • Quicktime 10
    • iMovie 11 9.0.7
    • iPhoto 9.3.2 Play Video
    • Final Cut Pro 7.0.1
    • Final Cut Pro X

Does Not Work With Mirroring

• DVD Player 5.6.0
    • iTunes 10.5.4

iPad AirPlay Mirroring to AppleTV

Works With Mirroring

1. Avid Studio
    2. Camera while filming
    3. iMovie

Does Not Work With Mirroring

• Netflix
    • Photos Play Video
    • Videos

This is kind of interesting in that it tells us that iOS 6, OS X ML, the Mac, the iPad 2 and 3 have the ability to stream and mirror video over WiFi.  Many Apple and 3rd-party apps support video mirroring just fine. Surprises are highlighted in blue.

The new h.265 codec may make it practical to:

• stream over a cell connection
    • reduce bandwidth and/or improve quality over a WiFi connection

Apparently, the means (hardware, software, OS Frameworks, codec) exist, today, to stream and mirror over WiFi -- it is up to the developers, to implement the capability in their apps, to permit mirroring during AirPlay streaming.

• Reply 83 of 91
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    These are my encode settings for 720P under HandBrake and they work very well:

Average kbps: 3500 with 2-pass
    Ref Frames: 5
    Max B Frames: 5
    CABAC Entropy Encoding: checked
    8x8 Transform: checked
    Weighted P-Frames: checked
    Pyramidal B-Frames: Strict
    No DCT Decimation: Unchecked
    Adaptive B-Frames: Default (fast)
    Adaptive Direct Mode: Automatic
    Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon
    Subpixel ME & Mode Decision: 7-RD in all frames
    Motion Estimation Range: Default (16)
    Partition Types: (most(
    Trellis: Encode Only
    Debllocking: both default

I use this as the template and just adjust the bitrate depending on the frame size. For example, on DVD's I use a 2000 kbps nitrate (I have a 65" HDTV so artifacts and noise are very visible on poor encodes).

EDIT: Ugh..ugly that is collapses your text in this way :\
  • Reply 84 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

These are my encode settings for 720P under HandBrake and they work very well: Average kbps: 3500 with 2-pass Ref Frames: 5 Max B Frames: 5 CABAC Entropy Encoding: checked 8x8 Transform: checked Weighted P-Frames: checked Pyramidal B-Frames: Strict No DCT Decimation: Unchecked Adaptive B-Frames: Default (fast) Adaptive Direct Mode: Automatic Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon Subpixel ME & Mode Decision: 7-RD in all frames Motion Estimation Range: Default (16) Partition Types: (most( Trellis: Encode Only Debllocking: both default I use this as the template and just adjust the bitrate depending on the frame size. For example, on DVD's I use a 2000 kbps nitrate (I have a 65" HDTV so artifacts and noise are very visible on poor encodes). EDIT: Ugh..ugly that is collapses your text in this way :\

Yeah... it shouldn't mess with the text!

Thanks for the settings -- I'll do some experiments later today!

• Reply 85 of 91
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member

I haven't thought of WebM in months. Whatever became of it? Is it gaining any traction? Do Android phones have WebM hardware acceleration?

• Reply 86 of 91
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    By the way, those settings are fully compatible with Apple TV (both the older 720P and of course the newer 1080P model).
  • Reply 87 of 91
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    unicron wrote: »
    I haven't thought of WebM in months. Whatever became of it? Is it gaining any traction? Do Android phones have WebM hardware acceleration?

To answer your queries:

Nothing.
    No.
    Who Cares.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

MPEG-LA has been somewhat successful in creating questions whether WebM is infringing on existing IP. They haven't actually given any examples of patents that apply to WebM, but I guess repeating often enough that there are some has slowed adoption. I noted MPEG-LA has made enough veiled threats that they did reportedly get the DOJ's attention last year.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/03/report-doj-looking-into-possible-anti-webm-moves-by-mpeg-la/

• Reply 89 of 91
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    MPEG-LA has been somewhat successful in creating questions whether WebM is infringing on existing IP. They haven't actually given any examples of patents that apply to WebM, but I guess repeating often enough that there are some has slowed adoption. I noted MPEG-LA has made enough veiled threats that they did reportedly get the DOJ's attention last year.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/03/report-doj-looking-into-possible-anti-webm-moves-by-mpeg-la/

Love ya tenacity. I am playing with Android Emulator now! Ha Ha. Despite my bias...
  • Reply 90 of 91
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Even though Apple is involved, I bet VLC releases the first public player implementation.

It was disappointing to see no user-facing changes to Quicktime in Mountain Lion.

• Reply 91 of 91

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

It was disappointing to see no user-facing changes to Quicktime in Mountain Lion.

What was there to change?

The only thing about QuickTime in Mountain Lion that I find unacceptable is the RHYTHMIC STUTTERING in the file audio that happens if you rewind anything. You have to quit QuickTime, not just shut that window, and reopen it to fix it.

It's completely inexcusable in a release product.