Judge loses temper, hits Apple counsel with 'smoking crack' remark

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After Samsung wrapped up its case on Thursday, an obviously frustrated Judge Lucy Koh jibed Apple counsel when presented with 75 pages worth of briefings for its last remaining witnesses, alluding that the lawyer was "smoking crack" with the long list of 22 people.

U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh's outburst was directed at Apple lawyer Bill Lee, who named 22 people he plans to call to the stand to counter testimony from Samsung's expert witnesses, according to in-court reports from CNet.

Tempers were running high as Apple has only six and a half hours of argument time left of its allotted 25, calling into question the feasibility of presenting 22 new witnesses. Samsung has only one hour remaining.

"I mean come on. 75 pages! 75 pages! You want me to do an order on 75 pages," Judge Koh asked, raising her voice. "Unless you're smoking crack, you know these witnesses aren't going to be called when you have less than four hours."

Apple's counsel replied, "Your honor, I can assure you, I'm not smoking crack," and went on to say that he believes the 22 witnesses could be called in the time available.

"If it turns out I went through 75 pages for people who are not going to be called, I am going to think of a proper tax for that," Judge Koh said.

The "tax" could come in the way of time cuts to the two hours each party gets for closing arguments, which are currently slated for Tuesday. The judge has already threatened to lop off time if counsel continues to bombard her with paperwork.

Judge Lucy Koh
U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh.
Source: U.S. District Court

On Wednesday, Samsung lawyers warned they would produce pages worth of objections if Apple didn't cut down its proposed witness list. Judge Koh pointed out she was trying to keep the case on track, but her "rag tag" team simply couldn't keep up with the parties' "legion of lawyers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    She should take a chill-pill...
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Heavy flow
  • Reply 3 of 83
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    22 witnesses with 6.5 hours left works out to a bit under 18 minutes per witness. I guess they can feasibility do it.

It does seem a bit excessive tbh.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

As soon as I heard about her saying that, I knew it would be the only thing people picked up on the whole day.

Reporting is a lost art.

• Reply 5 of 83

the judge is a cockroach, SHE CANNOT TALK LIKE THAT. I guess she can because she is taking BRIBES from the south coreans.

I have posted before that judge "Lucy KOhREA" who is of korean-american heritage is taking bribes and working for the multi billion dollar south-korean conglomerate samscum, she is going to do everything in her power to discredit apple And screw America. 

Asking apple Attorneys that question is one step to ruin the case and destroy the credibility of apple in the courtroom.

Her korean american heritage is clearly showing here. cheerleading for her motherland like all korean-american ulta nationalists.

judge lucy koh BIO-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_H._Koh

IMPEACH This corrupt korean-american judge NOW!!. And get her investigated by the IRS because she is taking BRIBES from samsung, the biggest and most powerful private employer in south korea.

• Reply 6 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

^^

LOL What? Koh may be PMS'ing a bit, but this guy needs to take his meds.

• Reply 7 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

22 witnesses with 6.5 hours left works out to a bit under 18 minutes per witness. I guess they can feasibility do it.

It does seem a bit excessive tbh.

I agree. It doesn't seem like the best strategy. Are all 22 *really* needed? Can't pick the best of the 22 and use them? I'm guessing they aren't going to make it and then they'll be punished instead.

So instead of the Samsung side taking the majority of her wrath, they've now set themselves up to take a good bit of it and right at the end of the trial. Brilliant!

• Reply 8 of 83

I see what you did there.

Judge Lucy Koh -> Kohrea.

Clever, but misspelt. You're going to have to work harder for a conspiracy than that! Other people fold dollar bills, find curious numerological traits, follow co-ordinates and so on. What do you do? You mis-spell a name.

Tsk!

(My personal favourite bit: 'SHE CANNOT TALK LIKE THAT'. Just needs mad interrobangs to really firm up the madness...)

• Reply 9 of 83
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Removed my post. The post I quoted was deleted by mods. Pointless post is pointless.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Agreed, can't we clean up these trash posts? Libel + caps + giant font really seems unnecessary.

• Reply 11 of 83
    lol. Its amusing how both apple fanbois and fandroids are claiming koh is corrupt and favors the other side.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    You have to give her some credit for lasting this long. Posner would have thrown the case out before it even got started.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Yes  you because you made a post that could have been 1/3 size, but you waste our time with your bull!
    Edit: Thank you Takeshima posts have been removed
  • Reply 14 of 83
    I agree. It doesn't seem like the best strategy. Are all 22 *really* needed? Can't pick the best of the 22 and use them? I'm guessing they aren't going to make it and then they'll be punished instead.

So instead of the Samsung side taking the majority of her wrath, they've now set themselves up to take a good bit of it and right at the end of the trial. Brilliant!

With Samsung only having 1 hour left, maybe they're trying to force Samsung to think long and hard about which witnesses to spend time cross examing? Or completely run them out of time cross examining the first 10 or whatever, so the remainder can go unchallenged?

I dunno; IANAL.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Samscum? now that is some of funny stuff...like Cream of Sumyungguy.

And, also, it wasn't just crack, it was Apple flavored rainbow white china from Shenzhen, the good stuff!

• Reply 16 of 83

Maybe they'll sing in chorus and turn the trial into a musical. That should wrap it up in a jiffy.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    takeshima wrote: »
    <dd id="user_body_12755073" style="margin-left:0px;border:0px;font-size:15px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:19.983333587646484px;">

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_H._Koh

thank you for posting the link to her bio. it clearly supports your position. especially the part about the bribes and her being a cockroach.

... what would margaret cho say?
  • Reply 18 of 83

Why we don't have this court case on TV? Imagine it! A reality court show for Apple and Android fans. How much money could Hollywood be making right now with all of us watching this, either live or recorded. It would feel like a soap opera for geeks -myself included of course image-.

• Reply 19 of 83
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Why was this never filmed?

It would have been awesome to download from iTunes and watch the whole thing...

(>_<)

(Edit: Rumpels beat me!)
  • Reply 20 of 83

This judge's comments raise important questions. One is many judge's see the courtroom in which they preside as "their" courtroom and their little fiefdom to control. The second problem might be based on failure of education. Lawyers, which also then may become judges, simply are poorly educated. Sure, they are have degrees in history, English, political science, etc. All very soft. 

My guess is that far less than 1% of all judges and attorneys have any mathematical or scientific education or understanding, if any, likely only at the bachelor's degree level. The exception might be those attorney's involved with patent law. 

What about computer science and programming? It would be useful to have attorney's and judges with such knowledge but knowledge here is not of the same nature as hard sciences. Simply put, attorneys and judges are not typically qualified to consider matters involving mathematical and scientific issues.