Rumor: First pictures of next-gen iPhone display assembly surface

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Same way they run with different vertical AND horizontal resolution right now. "Is_6th_iPhone = true".

The beta has no indication because the betas never have indication. We didn't know anything about the higher resolution of the iPhone 4 or the different resolution of the iPad before either of their launches.

Of course the extra pixels are being used by apps. 

Cool thanks for the clarification. I thought I was missing something. Indeed the software side seems to be an amazingly well-kept secret, unlike the hardware parts. So what about... fragmentation?
  • Reply 62 of 63

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

So what about... fragmentation?

Development stops on old devices when the new one is released. If developers want to make apps backward compatible, that's up to them. For the most part, I don't see any problems arising; it's like watching a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 (2:3) TV, zoomed in. For actively-generated content like games, they'll just pull the frame in. For lists and menus, you'll just see one fewer option at a time. And for custom graphics, they'll have to give the images new coordinates so that everything is on screen properly. But beyond the latter, there won't be that much work to do in getting things backward compatible.