Apple granted patent for iPhone display shock absorber

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

This patent will be invalidated if it is used to stop others or collect money.  This method has been used, in almost every possible form, to protect sensitive items. There have been many items that have been protected by two or even three differing layers of materials with different properties including elastic and viscous. Take a look at items such as early portable barcode scanning systems with LCD displays and other rugged portable electronics.  I am an Apple owner and shareholder. 

It's been used since forever... but not in a smartphone. Context is everything.

• Reply 22 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Apple patenting more ingenius rectangles...

Yeah, for once I'm totally in awe that this was granted.  This is a very strange patent to be granted.  I guess it's worth trying to patent anything these days, you'll probably be granted it.

• Reply 23 of 35
    They can patent this "invention" without actually having a physical invention or a description of what it's made of? (didn't read the patent so correct me if I'm wrong)

Is that legit?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Amazing how you're almost always first to comment.

Global Moderators tend to allow that.

• Reply 25 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Global Moderators tend to allow that.

I also tend to* allow straight up insults toward me, too. image So if anyone feels like breaking the rules and insulting another user, take it out on me instead. I'll be the Curly to your Moe.

*tend to… *smaller laughing emoticon*

• Reply 26 of 35
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

The new iPhone subwoofer.  Made up of great dane placenta stem cells.  It grows on you.  It's like your iPhone is a virtual pet, literally.  The new Feline model is expected next year.

• Reply 27 of 35

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

It grows on you.

Literally. And that's downright terrifying.

????

• Reply 28 of 35

And in ten minutes, "Samsung vs. Apple"

Samsung's opening Statements:

Our devices are pointless and already do this since they have fake screens that are actually rubber! Apple violated our patent for devices that no one cares if they are dropped. 

• Reply 29 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    They can patent this "invention" without actually having a physical invention or a description of what it's made of? (didn't read the patent so correct me if I'm wrong)

Hint:
    Read a patent before commenting on it.

They described it in enough detail to satisfy the patent office. Whether that would hold up if challenged is an open question.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    tarfungo wrote: »
    I can't find the previous thread at the moment, but I believe TS adequately explained how / why he's often THE, or one of the first to post...

I'm guessing it's that he has nothing better to do and his life is this forum?

Not knocking him- any forum needs super-active posters. I just wonder if on his death bed he'll look back and be happy about the 10s of thousands of hours he spent typing on this thing and think that's fulfilling.
  • Reply 31 of 35

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I just wonder if on his death bed he'll look back and be happy about the 10s of thousands of hours he spent typing on this thing and think that's fulfilling.

Don't worry, I'm looking back. Can't remember anything, anyway.

• Reply 32 of 35
    jragosta wrote: »
    Hint:
    Read a patent before commenting on it.
    They described it in enough detail to satisfy the patent office. Whether that would hold up if challenged is an open question.

if you're going to respond to me, why not answer me?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Which of these:

[QUOTE]1. A method for reducing shocks received by an electronic device component, comprising: providing the electronic device component within an electronic device housing; and defining a shell surrounding the electronic device component, the shell being fully contained within the electronic device housing, the shell comprising: a first layer enclosing at least in part the electronic device component, the first layer located adjacent to the electronic device component and constructed from a visco-elastic material that provides shock protection of a first characteristic for the component, the first characteristic including both viscous and elastic responses; and a second layer completely enclosing the first layer, the second layer directly interfaces with the first layer and constructed from an elastic material that provides shock protection of a second characteristic for the component, the second characteristic including an elastic response; wherein the combination of the first and second layers reduces the effects of shock events of varying magnitudes to the component.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the electronic device component is operative to move in at least one direction within the shell.

3. The method of claim 1, further comprising: determining the impact for which protection of the component is to be optimized; and selecting a viscoelastic material for which strain rate is less than a maximum value for the stress associated with the determined impact.

4. The method of claim 3, wherein the viscoelastic material is operative to deform in response to a force being applied to the electronic device.

5. An electronic device with shock protection for components, comprising: a housing; at least one component placed within the housing, the at least one component operative to deflect in response to a force being applied to the housing; and a boundary component placed around at least a portion of the at least one component, the boundary component comprising: a first layer enclosing at least in part the at least one component, the first layer located adjacent to the electronic device component and constructed from a visco-elastic material that provides shock protection of a first characteristic for the component, the first characteristic including both viscous and elastic responses; and a second layer completely enclosing the first layer, the second layer directly interfaces with the first layer and constructed from an elastic material that provides shock protection of a second characteristic for the component, the second characteristic including an elastic response; wherein the combination of the first and second layers reduces the effects of shock events of varying magnitudes to the component.

6. The electronic device of claim 5, wherein the boundary component is positioned adjacent to the at least one component.

7. The electronic device of claim 6, wherein the boundary component is positioned such that the at least one component is operative to deflect into the boundary component in response to the force being applied to the housing.

8. The electronic device of claim 5, wherein the boundary component is at least one of an amorphous polymer, a semicrystalline polymer, a biopolymer, and bitumen material.

9. The electronic device of claim 5, wherein the relationship between stress and strain rate of the boundary component is optimized for at least two different levels of forces applied to the housing.

10. The electronic device of claim 9, wherein the relationship between stress and strain rate of the boundary component is non-linear.[/QUOTE]

is an invention?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    How ingenious!! In the window business, we called it "Spline"
  • Reply 35 of 35

Originally Posted by Zomp View Post

How ingenious!! In the window business, we called it "Spline"

Do you reticulate them?