OS X 10.8.1 beta said to substantially improve battery life

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Where can we get the 10.8.1 beta? ..or can we...?....Ty.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

Where can we get the 10.8.1 beta? ..or can we...?....Ty.

Pay $100 to be a developer. Though I'd personally rather people not waste their time with prerelease software when they don't even know how to get it, much less use it.

• Reply 23 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Pay $100 to be a developer. Though I'd personally rather people not waste their time with prerelease software when they don't even know how to get it, much less use it.

Beyond that running beta software can be pure agony! It is far better to wait for the upgrade.

As for all the whinnying on here about battery life, I have this suggestion for people, focus on the good things in Mountain Lion. Every software update you ever install will have problems even if you as the user don't see them. It isn't like the machine has become totally unusable. If you wait for perfect software you will never see an upgrade or new program on your machine.
  • Reply 24 of 38

Surely the machine isn't unstable but clearly the battery life issue out weighed the "good things" for the end user that is involved in this upgrade.  

Just saying............

• Reply 25 of 38
    ...thank you, Wizard!!
  • Reply 26 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try reinstalling; that's not indicative of any Safari I've seen since about DP2. 

I have the same issue he does. I reinstalled.

• Reply 27 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Something else is going on.  I've upgraded both my mid-2011 MBA and late-2009 iMac to 10.8 and Safari was definitely more snappier.  Then after a week, I decided to clean-install 10.8 (simply because I could) so that there are no remnants of prior programs or plugins.  Both machines run very well, including Safari.

You might want to see if there are Safari plugins that are causing problems or other programs sucking-up CPUs.  I had a minor issue with a plugin when I upgraded.  I always like to do a clean-install of OSX whenever a new release comes out simply because I like having my system fresh-from-factory clean.  Some Adobe plug-ins really effed-up a couple things.  That's only though after I've put the release through the ringer for a week or two before I update my main system.  Fortunately, all my data is in Dropbox, or time machine so I don't worry too much about losing something.  I also try getting my apps through the Mac App Store so that I always have it on tap when it's time to re-install.

Just my 2-cents.

One shouldn't have to go through this kind of song-and-dance for a browser software, for heavens' sake! Especially when it worked fine in previous iterations.

• Reply 28 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Beyond that running beta software can be pure agony! It is far better to wait for the upgrade.

I have Beta tested Tivos and you don't know what agony is until you experience the rage of a wife who didn't get her "stories" recorded properly.

• Reply 29 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have the same issue he does. I reinstalled.

Dag, yo. (Did I use that right? Can that be used right?) I guess the next step is to look for common hardware to see if combinations thereof (plus software) might be causing it. 

• Reply 30 of 38

I know this is far from the main story, but on the topic of Safari 6.0, it was irritating that clicking on links would open the new page in the same window while simultaneously graying out the 'back' button (the only way to get back was go into History, and resize the page again!).

Until I discovered that one had to go into Preferences --> Tabs and set "Open Pages in Tabs Instead of Windows" to "Never". It is now fixed.

(i) I don't ever recall having to go through this kind of nonsense with Safari before; (ii) I am not even sure that I still understand the language usage and logic involved in getting it to do what I wanted; (iii) I hope this (and a few other minor irritants, like offering to remember passwords, wtf!?) isn't the creeping microsoftification of Apple's software.....

• Reply 31 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Fortunately, all my data is in Dropbox, or time machine so I don't worry too much about losing something.  I also try getting my apps through the Mac App Store so that I always have it on tap when it's time to re-install.

I have never used TimeMachine and although I have a free Dropbox I have never used that either for anything other than to test it out. I had iDsk which was convenient for sending myself stuff I wanted to work on at home, but all of my backups are on external HD, and also copied to my remote datacenter or on various other media. I have 3-4 levels of redundancy in my backups.

I have never done a clean install because I don't want to go through the application serial number registration activation routine and I have lots of that type of professional applications. Other than the app store which already know your serial number it sounds like a hellish undertaking. I can't imagine doing a clean install when I have a terabyte of data on my internal drives, which of course is the master copy. Everything else is just in case of emergencies. Apple has always done a really good job of upgrading the OS in my opinion.

• Reply 32 of 38

I'm not even on the final version image

• Reply 33 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I value my MacBook Air's ridiculously long battery life in Snow Leopard, and I don't want to upgrade until this issue is positively ironed out. I am hopeful that the .1 release of ML will put the issue to rest for MBA users!

One thing about Apple, is that they are pretty good about getting the major bugs ironed out quickly.  It just takes a little time identifying the major bugs, working on the code, testing them so they can release.  It happens every major release of an OS and it's nothing to be worried about.

• Reply 34 of 38
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My opinion (just worth an opinion) is that it's better to wait for the update to the upgrade. Also true for hardware :D

• Reply 35 of 38
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View PostApple has always done a really good job of upgrading the OS in my opinion.

I agree. I don't like L/ML, I'm a SL guy I guess, but years of OS experiences ranging from Microsoft to OpenBSD taught me that OS upgrades can be hell.

Just a few weeks ago, a standard-vanilla-normal-not-modified Ubuntu completely failed an update, after coming out of an internet-less bunker it stayed in for two years. It was three versions late, but still, it's pretty irritating to end up reinstalling from scratch a major OS because nobody thought of proofing the system for those people who rarely update.

Apple's no Debian, but they're among the best in upgrade management. image Also, now that they've finally mastered repositories with their version of Apt-get (the "APT"-store), it's simple image

• Reply 36 of 38

Any idea when it'll be released? I'm getting a Retina Macbook (hopefully by next week) and I'm worrying about the battery life and screen issues.

• Reply 37 of 38
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I know this is far from the main story, but on the topic of Safari 6.0, it was irritating that clicking on links would open the new page in the same window while simultaneously graying out the 'back' button (the only way to get back was go into History, and resize the page again!).

Until I discovered that one had to go into Preferences --> Tabs and set "Open Pages in Tabs Instead of Windows" to "Never". It is now fixed.

(i) I don't ever recall having to go through this kind of nonsense with Safari before; (ii) I am not even sure that I still understand the language usage and logic involved in getting it to do what I wanted; (iii) I hope this (and a few other minor irritants, like offering to remember passwords, wtf!?) isn't the creeping microsoftification of Apple's software.....
    I recently started using Google Chrome for my iPhone, iPad and Mac. I'm really happy with it. It's fast and on the iPhone & iPad it has unlimited Tabs which is unprecidented. Not full screen yet. But the unlimited Tabs is a feature that trumps full screen for me. Perhaps Chrome for Mac would help you forget Safari's new shortcomings. It has for me. And you can make Chrome your Mac's default browser in the default browser setting in pane 1 of Safari. ????
  • Reply 38 of 38

You don't need to pay to be a developer.  Just register at appleseed.apple.com.   Have been doing this since they started testing Lion.