Apple, Samsung present closing arguments in California patent trial

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

    When you turn on to be wrong, can you finally ban yourself so we can be rid of your fucking trolling? I've yet to see a shadow of a shred of a fact or objectivity in any of your posts. Just drive by trolling bullshit. 


     


    Doesn't mean he might not be right…

  • Reply 82 of 139
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


    Samsung is going to win this one.



     


     


    perhaps.  regardless of outcome it wouldn't surprise me if an appeal is launched shortly after the verdict.  the success of the appeal (if any) is anyone's guess.

  • Reply 83 of 139
    galbi wrote: »
    His argument is about the phones physical design.

    YOUR argument is about the OS design.

    TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ARGUMENTS.

    Stick with the program wise guy.

    Dont try to play at words.

    I responded to his claim that "Apple didn't invent anything."

    Don't try to play at words.

    Stick with the program wise guy.
  • Reply 84 of 139


    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

    U mad ?


    Just accept fate.  Android dominating world.


    Apple's magic time is over.


    Many people switching Android from Apple.


     


    I also used iOS phone + tablet exclusively  until dec 2011.



     


    Really, everyone? slapppy comes back and we don't give him a proper welcome? image


     


    (Note: it's not actually slapppy)





    Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

    Dude, your being just plain rude!


     


    I question one's ability to be rude to a non-sentient entity (a company, in this case). I'll say whatever I want about AT&T as a whole, and despite some of that being an imprisonable offense (or at the very least, censored by the FCC for being too darn naughty) if said to a human, it's fine when said to a company. image





    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

    Free speech and a free society, that is what has to be the aim.


     


    Not on this site. Not by a long shot.

  • Reply 85 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Really, everyone? slapppy comes back and we don't give him a proper welcome? :lol:

    Can we give him a going-away party, instead?
  • Reply 86 of 139
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    845032 wrote: »
    Android market share is around 70%.
    Many people switched to android from apple.

    Android does have a bigger market share, it's a funny thing tho, apple seems to be making a crazy amount of money, oh well.

    From most of the surveys stats I've read, apple has a way higher customer retention % over android, so android (me thinks) is taking a lot of sales from RIM or Nokia (the standard dumb phones) so it's still a pretty great feat but not the slam to apple that you think it is, iOS seems pretty damn profitable & really that's why any company makes these devices.

    I'm wondering ;) :p "derp" which company is the most valuable public company of all time?
  • Reply 87 of 139


    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

    Can we give him a going-away party, instead?


     


    Gotta insult someone first (insulting intelligence doesn't count).

  • Reply 88 of 139


    Apple vs. Android market share.


    Apple took the mobile phone lead a few years due to their amazing products. They were the best by a long shot both in terms of OS and/or design (I’m not going to say build quality because I believe there were products in the market of equal quality).


    Apple products are still amazing but the gap that existed between Apple mobile phones and some other has disappeared in the past year. Competition is fierce and no one is making it easy for Apple.


    The latest Android and Windows phones are very, very good! I confess that after buying an ipad last year and working with it for w few weeks, I seriously considered IOS products to be superior, however after trying a few different Android phones I was surprised and a few weeks ago trying out the galaxy S3 (I now I am going to get clobbered over this) I realized that I was way more impressed with it than with the iphone (yes they were launched on different dates, but still!). For me the only problems with the S3 are the size (it’s too big) and the material it’s made from which is still behind Apple, other than that I confess I was truly impressed. It’s not by chance that Android is growing and that many, dare I say most, independent and credible sites consider the S3 to be the best phone out there right now (a little while ago I got clobbered, now I’m going to get killed). In some cases the 4s has even fallen behind HTC’s one X. Whether we like it or not Android is good, it wasn’t but it is now, and whether we  like it or not it has some advantages over IOS (one important one is memory card slots the other is price).

    I’m sure that Apple is ready to fight back and is in no way “sleeping under a shady tree” but from what I have seen so far, IOS 6 will be dull and completely uninspiring (I was excited with IOS 5 and couldn’t wait to upgrade, the only thing that IOS 6 was able to pull out of me was a yawn!), the iphone 5 seems to be a longer iphone 4s without any other major design changes. Where is the WOW factor Apple has gotten us used to? I personally think that unless the iphone 5 comes out with some amazing new unforeseen features the Apple magic will start fading, at least on the mobile phone market.

    If history has taught us anything it’s that people are fickle, that everything is cyclical and that frequently today’s giant is tomorrow’s midget (Nokia, Rim, Motorola, etc., etc., etc.).

     

  • Reply 89 of 139


    Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post


    …from what I have seen so far, IOS 6 will be dull and completely uninspiring…



     


    What does this even mean? Don't say "widgets". Don't say it's "stale". Give an actual reason for this belief.


     




    …the 6th iPhone seems to be a longer iPhone 4s without any other major design changes. Where is the WOW factor Apple has gotten us used to?



     


    What's your point? Is "it looks different" the only reason you'd buy a new phone? Then to borrow a phrase, "WOW". Turns out the Android crowd is EXACTLY what the Anti-Apple brigade (and Samsung themselves) have been claiming Apple users are for DECADES. We apparently only "buy it because it looks new", but now when Apple has settled for years on a design that is as spectacular as the day it was launched, the tables turn right the heck around.


     


    Always been at war with Eastasia, have we? I see how it is.


     


    Funny how this never became the case until the iPhone came out. The iMac has had the same design for eight years. The Mac Pro for TEN. The pre-unibody MacBook Pro for six and a half and the first unibody for four. And all we heard about back then was "Mac users only buy the new model because it looks different". Now it's "Apple users will buy the exact same device three years in a row" with no mention of how often Android devices change design and their entire business model, which revolves around day one obsolescence of hardware.


     



    I personally think that unless the 6th iPhone comes out with some amazing new unforeseen features the Apple magic will start fading, at least on the mobile phone market.


     


    And you're entitled to that opinion. Don't be surprised when the exact opposite is true, however. 

  • Reply 90 of 139

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    What does this even mean? Don't say "widgets". Don't say it's "stale". Give an actual reason for this belief.


     


     


    What's your point? Is "it looks different" the only reason you'd buy a new phone? Then to borrow a phrase, "WOW". Turns out the Android crowd is EXACTLY what the Anti-Apple brigade (and Samsung themselves) have been claiming Apple users are for DECADES. We apparently only "buy it because it looks new", but now when Apple has settled for years on a design that is as spectacular as the day it was launched, the tables turn right the heck around.


     


    Always been at war with Eastasia, have we? I see how it is.


     


    Funny how this never became the case until the iPhone came out. The iMac has had the same design for eight years. The Mac Pro for TEN. The pre-unibody MacBook Pro for six and a half and the first unibody for four. And all we heard about back then was "Mac users only buy the new model because it looks different". Now it's "Apple users will buy the exact same device three years in a row" with no mention of how often Android devices change design and their entire business model, which revolves around day one obsolescence of hardware.


     


     


    And you're entitled to that opinion. Don't be surprised when the exact opposite is true, however. 



     


    Of course these posts are a matter of opinion! With all due respect, if any of us had absolute truths we probably wouldn’t be posting here. We would be enjoying a daiquiri on a beach in the south pacific living off of the wealth we’d acquired through our consulting jobs!




    IOS6  to be explicit:

    3d maps – Great but Google has done that already

    Turn by turn navigation – Great but Google has done that already on Android

    Facebook integration – Great but Google has done that already on Android

    Photo Stream features – Great if you use Photo Streaming – I do not.  It’s too slow transferring photos via wifi so I prefer to use Dropbox its way faster (Icloud in this aspect and others is a disappointment!)

    Facetime over 3g – Great but Skype does that already. And most people I know use Skype which allows you to contact people with different OSs.

    Phone send to voice mail reply with message – My old Windows mobile HTC HD2 did that!

    Email Vip – great but google has done that already

    Tab Syncing – great but Google has done that already

    Siri on Ipad. Great but if you’ve used Siri you now just how terrible she really is!

    Find my phone – I’m on my second ipad, the first was stolen in Paris last year. I was unable to retrieve it even with Find my Phone activated. I have serious reservations about this app!!!!!

    The rest of the features are… zzzzzzzzz (sorry fell a sleep there for a moment…)

    Passbook – possibly the only really cool thing!



    You are partially right about your comments on the new vs. old design, but only partially… don’t forget that a mobile phone is more and more a fashion accessory (this is not an opinion it’s a fact!)  and fashion is an extremely fastest paced business. Today it’s yellow next season it’s red, today it’s square tomorrow its round. I seriously doubts that a mobile phone can stay in the market beyond 2 years without changes

     

  • Reply 91 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post


    IOS6  to be explicit:

    3d maps – Great but Google has done that already

    Turn by turn navigation – Great but Google has done that already on Android

    Facebook integration – Great but Google has done that already on Android

    Photo Stream features – Great if you use Photo Streaming – I do not.  It’s too slow transferring photos via wifi so I prefer to use Dropbox its way faster (Icloud in this aspect and others is a disappointment!)

    Facetime over 3g – Great but Skype does that already. And most people I know use Skype which allows you to contact people with different OSs.

    Phone send to voice mail reply with message – My old Windows mobile HTC HD2 did that!

    Email Vip – great but google has done that already

    Tab Syncing – great but Google has done that already

    Siri on Ipad. Great but if you’ve used Siri you now just how terrible she really is!

    Find my phone – I’m on my second ipad, the first was stolen in Paris last year. I was unable to retrieve it even with Find my Phone activated. I have serious reservations about this app!!!!!

    The rest of the features are… zzzzzzzzz (sorry fell a sleep there for a moment…)

    Passbook – possibly the only really cool thing!



     


    Numbered list time!


     


    1. You're frigging joking, right? They only did it as a DIRECT RESPONSE to Apple doing it. Testing has shown that Apple's maps are higher resolution and clearer than Google's. And Apple's aren't even out of beta yet.


    2. Your point being? Does that mean you don't want a better version of it in iOS? (aside and genuine question: does Google's reroute you on the fly if traffic conditions change?)


    3. Your point being? (personal opinion: screw sociopath networking)


    4. So a feature you don't use/like is something you don't consider good for anyone to have at all?


    5. Except Skype is terrible. You're really missing the point of all this stuff.


    6. Your point being?


    7. Your point being?


    8. Except that's patently false.


    9. You just happened upon an intelligent thief. So apparently this is BAD for the OS or something?


    10. Yeah, "rest of the" is the entire point of me asking. Don't pretend to cover up issues you don't even have with a blanket "boring" statement. 



    If "Google already did it" and "being "first" to do it" (yes, both of those quote sets have meaning) are all that matter to you, it seems you've already made up your decision. My question is why you'd bother with an "inferior" product at all.


     




    …don’t forget that a mobile phone is more and more a fashion accessory (this is not an opinion it’s a fact!)…



     


    Don't forget that's one of THE most opinionated statements that can be made.


     



    I seriously doubts that a mobile phone can stay in the market beyond 2 years without changes


     


    Huh. Because… you see, the iPhone 3GS has been on the market for three years. And until just a few months ago OUTSOLD EVERY SINGLE OTHER BRAND NEW PHONE THAT ANYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY RELEASED. And only the iPhone 4 (two years) and iPhone 4S (one year) have outsold it. 


     


    It's evident through sales numbers alone that your theory is bogus. 

  • Reply 92 of 139
    I came here to see reactions and predictions re: the case.

    I see a rehashed argument...

    :-/
  • Reply 93 of 139

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Numbered list time!


     


    1. You're frigging joking, right? They only did it as a DIRECT RESPONSE to Apple doing it. Testing has shown that Apple's maps are higher resolution and clearer than Google's. And Apple's aren't even out of beta yet.


    2. Your point being? Does that mean you don't want a better version of it in iOS? (aside and genuine question: does Google's reroute you on the fly if traffic conditions change?)


    3. Your point being? (personal opinion: screw sociopath networking)


    4. So a feature you don't use/like is something you don't consider good for anyone to have at all?


    5. Except Skype is terrible. You're really missing the point of all this stuff.


    6. Your point being?


    7. Your point being?


    8. Except that's patently false.


    9. You just happened upon an intelligent thief. So apparently this is BAD for the OS or something?


    10. Yeah, "rest of the" is the entire point of me asking. Don't pretend to cover up issues you don't even have with a blanket "boring" statement. 



    If "Google already did it" and "being "first" to do it" (yes, both of those quote sets have meaning) are all that matter to you, it seems you've already made up your decision. My question is why you'd bother with an "inferior" product at all.


     


     


    Don't forget that's one of THE most opinionated statements that can be made.


     


    Huh. Because… you see, the iPhone 3GS has been on the market for three years. And until just a few months ago OUTSOLD EVERY SINGLE OTHER BRAND NEW PHONE THAT ANYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY RELEASED. And only the iPhone 4 (two years) and iPhone 4S (one year) have outsold it. 


     


    It's evident through sales numbers alone that your theory is bogus. 



     


    You are persistent I’ll give you that! It’s great to battle it out with fans (which Im sure you know derives from fanatic). This discussion is pointless, neither of us will change our opinions!


    Don’t skew the conversation with questions and comments like:


    Does that mean you don't want a better version of it in iOS?


    … this is bad for the OS?


    My question is why you'd bother with an "inferior" product at all


    That fact that you criticize something good that can be and should be better is only natural. If you’ve won gold for 4 years, are still capable of winning gold but in this particular race end up with bronze. Are you going to be happy about it?! As the bronze medal is inferior to gold will you throw it away?!


    Do I want the updates, yes! Do I think these upgrade are a plus for consumers, yes (It’s a good thing there are no patent issue here!!!!) Does  Apple have inferior products, no!!!  


    My point being:


    Is IOS6 inspirational, NO WAY!!!!!  I don’t even have to go over the other new features of IOS6 (I don’t have to pretend to cover up anything, most of the other features are so “minor” they are really not worth mentioning).  Ooooh wow IOS6 now has guided access for children!!!


     Does IOS6 bring anything  new, MOSTLY NOT!!! Hence IOS6 is “dull” and  “uninspiring”!



    1. It’s a direct response from APPLE … no SH?T! Of course it is!



    2.3. See above


           4. “So a feature you don't use/like is something you don't consider good for anyone to have at all?” This is a funny statement coming from someone who one line above said “screw sociopath networking”


    I would love to use the feature – why use drop box if this is integrated with the OS? but photosrteaming via Icloud is extremely slow, sometime taking between 5 to 30 (!!) minutes to sync with my PC.  Dropbox is faster and I can sync info and photos with various Oss and users via public folder.


    5.I use it everyday in overseas and domestic comsand you know what, it’s great! What the hell do I want a communication app for if I can’t use with 90% people I know and work with!!!!!!! More to the point than this is impossible!!


    6. My point being that although this is new in IOS this feature is older than my grandmother and has been used for some time now on some other phones. Its “dull” and uninspired”!!


    7. See above.


    8. Is it really? Is it?? Come on be honest. Put aside your admiration of Apple for a second.


    9. Intelligent thief? Probably. But my point is there are ways around the app. It’s not all Apple says it is!


    10. I don’t need to cover anything up. The features are accessible to everyone. I just wont want my time on most of the other “minor” features. Yooo Hooo, IOS has guided access for children!!!! Thank God it finally arrived!!!!! Sorry could resist the sarcasm, I’m not saying its not a welcomed feature, I’m saying it’s dull and uninspired!


     


    I’ll give you credit for the remaining points (touché!), with the exception that phones are more and more a fashion accessory. I can admit it when I'm wrong. ;-)

  • Reply 94 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post


    Is IOS6 inspirational, NO WAY!!!!!



     


    I don't get why this word, in its strictest definition, is a requirement for this OS upgrade.


     


    The Apple ]['s software was inspirational. System 1 was inspirational. Mac OS X.0 was inspirational. iPhone OS 1 was inspirational. 


     


    Should System 3 have been as 'inspirational'? Should iPhone OS 3 have been? 10.5? 


     



    most of the other features are so “minor” they are really not worth mentioning



     


    But just humor me, could you? One of them, and why you find it such?


     



    Ooooh wow IOS6 now has guided access for children!!!



     


    I find THAT to be an inspirational feature, actually. An entire generation growing up alongside an OS they can understand and to which they can connect won't be going off and buying a PC. 


     





    1. It’s a direct response from APPLE … no SH?T! Of course it is!





     


    So… how could you possibly list "Google did it first" with a straight face? Particularly since the beta IS better than Google's release version?


     




    This is a funny statement coming from someone who one line above said “screw sociopath networking”




     


    Note, however, that I didn't say the feature was pointless or unusable. It's a big thing for people that DO use it, and for them iOS 6 becomes all the more important. 


     



    8. Is it really? Is it?? Come on be honest. Put aside your admiration of Apple for a second.



     


    This entire post was dictated on my Mac. I own no Siri-compatible products, but I've used Siri before. It works perfectly. For me and tens of millions of others. Otherwise you'd hear otherwise. If even half of one percent of users had trouble with Siri, it would have caused an absolute SCANDAL in the media. Apparently that's not even the case.







    9. Intelligent thief? Probably. But my point is there are ways around the app. It’s not all Apple says it is





     


    Anyone with physical access to any device can remove any software protection applied to said device without anyone else knowing. I don't recall Apple claiming much about it, but I do know that Prey/Undercover claim specific percentages of retrieval, but even they can be sidestepped.


     




    I can admit it when I'm wrong. ;-)




     


    And I will when I am.


    ????

  • Reply 95 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    If "Google already did it" and "being "first" to do it" (yes, both of those quote sets have meaning) are all that matter to you, it seems you've already made up your decision. My question is why you'd bother with an "inferior" product at all.


     



     


    Most of the "Google already did" it list were done by Nokia first, particularly in the area of maps and navigation.


     


    Google has really done nothing new at all apart from building strong links to their web services, monetized via user information collection and advertising.

  • Reply 96 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

    Most of the "Google already did" it list were done by Nokia first, particularly in the area of maps and navigation.


     


    Google has really done nothing new at all apart from building strong links to their web services, monetized via user information collection and advertising.



     


    Had to make sure you were you before I read your post… We just had a hill6O (now banned) pop up, spewing anti-Apple tripe… image

  • Reply 97 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post


     


    blech, blech, blech


     


    Something about Skype



     


    Hey I use Skype on my iPhone too it's the only way I can contact my brother who works on mountainsides in the jungles of New Guinea where all they have is a satellite uplink , choice is good, it took them ages to enable video calls on iPhones.


     


    The update they just did lets you add photos to messages I wonder where else Microsoft will take it.

  • Reply 98 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Had to make sure you were you before I read your post… We just had a hill6O (now banned) pop up, spewing anti-Apple tripe… image



     


    So I missed my doppelgänger?


     


    That's a pity.

  • Reply 99 of 139
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    So I missed my doppelgänger?


     


    That's a pity.





    i always wanted a doppelganger :(. I'm jealous.

  • Reply 100 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

    i always wanted a doppelganger :(. I'm jealous.


     


    Don't fret. He made three accounts prior to that one; maybe he'll be back with a "hnn" in the future. image

Sign In or Register to comment.