47% of US consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They did this a long time ago. HSPA+(DC-HSDPA) and WiMAX were included, as well as reducing what qualified as "4G". The ITU-R made the original definition and so they can change their own definition. They were foolish and then they corrected it but for some reason many people are only holding to the original, but to make it more odd they are only holding to the download speed and not any of the other requirements they initially setup for the "4G' designation.

I remember the original 4G announcement, but I don't remember where. I dug up some articles in 2010 about the revised definition, but those were by relatively obscure blogs.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I remember the original 4G announcement, but I don't remember where. I dug up some articles in 2010 about the revised definition, but it was mostly discussed by relatively obscure blogs.

The ITU-R made a statement but they weren't very clear. I think it was a way of saving face.
    Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. The detailed specifications of the IMT-Advanced technologies will be provided in a new ITU-R Recommendation expected in early 2012.

PS: If you look at the original definition for 4G LTE 100Mbps simply won't cut it.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They did this a long time ago. HSPA+(DC-HSDPA) and WiMAX were included, as well as reducing what qualified as "4G". The ITU-R made the original definition and so they can change their own definition. They were foolish and then they corrected it but for some reason many people are only holding to the original, but to make it more odd they are only holding to the download speed and not any of the other requirements they initially setup for the "4G' designation.

ITU-R is now calling LTE-Advanced and WiMAX-Advanced "True 4G" just to make life really clear and all that. These technologies are the closest to the original 4G spec. I have a hard time believing that we'll see 1Gbps with LTE-Advanced though since it requires 8x8 MIMO and 40MHz of spectrum allocation. I believe the US allocated 10MHz for LTE and a device capable of 8x8 MIMO will have such a large antenna array that we won't be seeing them in mobile devices very soon if at all.

• Reply 84 of 87

Then 53% of the population that are on CDMA iPhones don't realize that LTE will give them simultaneous data and voice.

• Reply 85 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ny3ranger wrote: »
    Then 53% of the population that are on CDMA iPhones don't realize that LTE will give them simultaneous data and voice.

If they're on Verizon right now, it might just mean that's not a high priority for them.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    I have no doubts. My wife for example pretty happy with 3G thus never upgraded to 4S. But when she needs hotspot for iPad for some unknown for me reason she's sitting on my LTE.
  • Reply 87 of 87

It happened to CPUs, ink jet printers and digital cameras. Perhaps mobile connection speed reaches that point.

Love life, stay healthy and enjoy every day

http://www.mmolive.com/

http://www.mmohome.com/