VMware launches Fusion 5 with 70 new features including Windows 8 optimization

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware on Thursday announced its new virtualization software Fusion 5, with 70 new features including a design that takes advantage of the latest features in Mountain Lion, and optimization for Microsoft's forthcoming Windows 8.

VMware Fusion 5 and VMware Fusion 5 Professional are now available for download at a cost of $49.99 and $99.99, respectively

"While the number of users adopting Macs continue to rise, the business environment is still dominated by Windows," said Jason Joel, director, personal products, VMware. "VMware Fusion 5 and Fusion 5 Professional build upon our award-winning platform, adding new capabilities that are in demand among both individual and professional users. Leveraging our experience with consumer and enterprise end-users, we believe this new version of the product is the best solution on the market for users who want to run Windows on Mac simultaneously."

New features in VMware Fusion 5 include:
  • Designed for Mountain Lion: Windows 8 Optimization: VMware Fusion 5 supports Windows 8 standard, pro and enterprise editions so consumers can optimize the new Windows 8 ?Metro? environment directly on a Mac.
    Enhanced Mac Support: Support for the latest Mac technologies include compatibility with Mountain Lion, retina display optimization, USB 3 connectivity, and improved support for large memory Macs.
Fusion 1
    Next Generation Performance: Performance enhancements include up to 40% faster general performance speeds compared to the previous version of the product, improved power management for longer battery life and faster 3D graphics.
    Additional Functionalities: New, powerful ways to experience Windows on a Mac are available through an updated virtual machine library that enables seamless transitions between multiple operating systems, one click snapshots with improved graphical appearance, a brand new graphics driver for Linux 3D desktops, and a new embedded learning center for immediate support.
Fusion 2

In addition to VMware Fusion 5, the company also introduced a new "Professional" version that aims to improve the way businesses deliver applications to users on Macs and PCs. Features of VMware Fusion 5 Professional include:
  • Open the Doors to Macs: Whether business applications run on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 or one of more than 200 other operating systems, VMware Fusion 5 is designed to ensure maximum compatibility with the applications users need.
  • Create Restricted Virtual Machines: Create an encrypted corporate image that meets the needs of employees and enables productivity from their first power-on. To avoid tampering of the corporate image, restrictions can prevent users from changing virtual machine settings or attaching USB devices to Windows.
Fusion 3
  • Easy Deployment Across Multiple Platforms: VMware Fusion 5 Professional includes a commercial license of VMware Player? 5 to deploy and run restricted virtual machines on Macs, Windows and Linux systems. So regardless of the underlying platform, VMware Fusion 5 Professional gives users the business applications they need.
  • Reduce Support Costs: Reduce support costs by directing end-users to customized Web resources directly from VMware Fusion 5 Professional?s Help menu.
  • Easy Management: VMware Fusion 5 Professional is a full perpetual license which activates both VMware Fusion 5 Professional and VMware Player 5.
Customers who have purchased Fusion 4 on or after July 25, 2012, are eligible for an electronic upgrade to Fusion 5 at no additional costs.

Fusion 3 and 4 customers, as well as Parallels Desktop customers, can also upgrade to VMware fusion Professional 5 for $49.99. The software is available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Japanese.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nice! While I'm glad this is available I do hate that I need it for Win Server.
  • Reply 2 of 34

When OnLive becomes fully featured, Fusion and Parallels will be gone!

• Reply 3 of 34
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

When OnLive becomes fully featured, Fusion and Parallels will be gone!

Yeah right.. People are going to trust running desktop apps over the internet from a company that had recently gone bankrupt.

• Reply 4 of 34
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Does MWare Fusion 5 allow to virtualize Mac OS X 10.6.8  (Snow leopard) to run rosetta applications like Eudora, Canvas or Palm Desktop? VMware Fusion 4.1.0 allowed that.

• Reply 5 of 34
    mykeymykey Posts: 6member

Why is Internet Exploder on the Dock?

• Reply 6 of 34
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Fusion 4 didn't seem to offer a Parallels equivalent to Coherence. By the screen shots it looks like they have it now?

Sick of being forced to buy a new version of Parallels nearly every year, so planning on switching... But the demo of 4 didn't really impress me.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    moochmooch Posts: 113member

Yay! I'm glad I never bothered upgrading to VMWF4.

• Reply 8 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKey View Post

You can pin VM apps to the dock, it's a feature they've had for awhile.

Anyone notice how horrible Windows looks? I mean shit, yeah it's ugly, but who knew it was THAT ugly compared to Mac OS?

• Reply 9 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKey View Post

You click it and it launches Fusion, loads Windows and then starts IE. Leaving it in the dock makes it easier than doing those steps manually.

• Reply 10 of 34
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nice! While I'm glad this is available I do hate that I need it for Win Server.

Why can't you escape Windows altogether?

For one who thinks so absolutely negatively of it, I would expect your morals to reject using it, and reject roles where you're forced to deal with it.

• Reply 11 of 34
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Fusion 4 didn't seem to offer a Parallels equivalent to Coherence. By the screen shots it looks like they have it now?
    Sick of being forced to buy a new version of Parallels nearly every year, so planning on switching... But the demo of 4 didn't really impress me.

It has done that for a while. Here is the list of new things and features in an easy to click link.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
  • Reply 12 of 34

Been using parallels for a while now. Since Fusion has an import feature, I think I will give it a try and see if it works any better.

• Reply 13 of 34
    zunx wrote: »
    Does MWare Fusion 5 allow to virtualize Mac OS X 10.6.8  (Snow leopard) to run rosetta applications like Eudora, Canvas or Palm Desktop? VMware Fusion 4.1.0 allowed that.

Yes it does...
    http://www.vmware.com/go/fusionoperatingsystems
  • Reply 14 of 34
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I could have sworn that they had only just released VM4 in the last 6 months.

• Reply 15 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Doubtful. Not unless Apple changes it's mind. 4.1 had it by accident until what was likely a request from Apple for them to remove the "feature".

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It's had it since at least version 3, which is what I have. But not sure what WMWare calls that feature 

• Reply 16 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Yes it does...

http://www.vmware.com/go/fusionoperatingsystems

But if you click through to the specific documentation, it only specifies the server version of OS X.

• Reply 17 of 34
    wiggin wrote: »
    But if you click through to the specific documentation, it only specifies the server version of OS X.

Hmm, perhaps you are right.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    wiggin wrote: »
    It's had it since at least version 3, which is what I have. But not sure what WMWare calls that feature 

Thanks. Their term is "Unity." Doesn't seem quite as clean as Parallels, but I'm ok with it.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Doubtful. Not unless Apple changes it's mind. 4.1 had it by accident until what was likely a request from Apple for them to remove the "feature".

Yes, I know, but it seems possible according to:

VMware Compatibility Guide

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16

• Reply 20 of 34

got tired of Parallels constant upgrades every time a new of OSX arrived or a new version of Windows came out.  So, I dumped it and tried Sun's free Virtualbox which worked great for putting XP into a VM but had a few things that I needed that didn't work with Virtualbox so I bought Fusion4 and it works great. 

Was Fusion4 better than Parallels, nope, but it felt smoother, gentler to me.  I always had issues with usb devices under Parallels anyway and the constant upgrade costs was getting to be more of a re-occurring rental fee than a purchase so I am quite happy with Fusion4 right now.  

In no way am I trying to sway anyone away from Parallels but if you just need Windows for that one app or to do simple stuff, I see no reason why not to try Virtualbox first before spending money on either of the other choices.