Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171

I'm a graphic designer and this sort of blows my mind. There are a lot of logos and identities out there that blow my mind. For example, http://www.firstalliancecu.com here in my own city of Rochester, MN. Three rounded rectangles layered over each other. This took what...3 minutes of the president's son playing around in Illustrator? Some of the stuff I see here in Rochester is real garbage that doesn't take much thought, effort or any creativity, but I'm sure was well paid for. Or maybe it's an indication that more companies are doing the logo on their own in Microsoft Publisher to save money than actually paying someone who can build something visually engaging and represents an actual concept and brand strategy.

Microsoft's old logo wasn't that exciting either, but it sort of does that FedEx implied arrow thing with the O and S and is sort of more visually engaging...not by much, but more visually engaging. This new logo is just the name without any tweaking of the typeface and then 4 squares. Big deal. The old logo is boring but it's more iconic than this. This is too simple. I love simple, but this isn't that amazing. It probably did cost Microsoft a pretty penny to have this developed and built...but I don't think it's going to do them much good. Its like they've been developing this new UI (Metro) and then decided that they should build an identity that follows that new UI which is going to be prevalent throughout it's products. It makes sense, but it's too simple. Like someone here said earlier...they could have designed this in a span of 20 minutes. I could have done the same. There's no real thought involved. "Make it look like Metro" was probably in the creative brief. Some creative professional somewhere just made bank cause they did the one job on earth that required no thought and no effort yet yielded a massive check. 

Now if they staggered the tiles and changed the sizes and shapes it would be more like the Metro UI since not all tiles in the UI are the same size and shape and are staggered. This would indicate motion better than 4 squares of the same dimensions sitting static next to boring unaltered text.

• Reply 82 of 171
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

There's no successor name to Metro. Any recent reviews that mentions that UI is still referring to Metro. The-UI-formerly-known-as-Metro hasn't caught on and I hope doesn't.

From Daring Fireball:

Quote:

From now on, the new terminology that Microsoft is using is “Windows 8-style UI”...

"Windows 8-style UI" definitely rolls right off the tongue.

• Reply 83 of 171

"We're really excited about the new logo"

This simple statement demonstrates everything that's gone wrong in Redmond.

• Reply 84 of 171
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

In a cubicle.

• Reply 85 of 171
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Here's a rejected version of Microsoft's new logo:

(click for full size)

• Reply 86 of 171
    rpsx wrote: »
    i think it's nice. simple and modern.

No. It's nice, simple and modern in a boring way. Period. Once again, they're taking their cues from Apple and not moving forward.

I'll give ya a hint: MS is looking for "iconic", and "minimalist chic" as in luxury brands. No. They haven't reached this level, with this new design.
    honestly, i think apple has lost it's way in terms of graphic design. paul rand would not impressed with what the OS he originally branded has become. 

Your opinion counts as "one" (1)... considering that the Apple logo.... even without a word mark, is near the top of the most recognized and valuable image brands in the world.
    that steve jobs clip is old. the cut of helvetica that iOS/macs use is crap. the built in kerning between the 1 and any other number is so off, and it's never been improved. i saw an early microsoft design presentation where they were zooming in text in windows phone 7 about 2000% to show micro-fine perfect kerning for all letters. that's the detail jobs was talking about, that apple UI designers no longer get. 

I'm going to agree with you here regarding kerning, but it is not "only" an Apple problem. The vast majority of Adobe's OTF font library has horrible metrics. Old Dog's see and know, that Postscript 1 fonts were far superior, even if they were somewhat flaky and seriously prone to corruption. Although, font corruption is STILL a huge problem for any system Win or Mac, and most software by Adobe (check their Forums!).
    sorry, this skewmorphic craptasticism has got to stop, apple. i never in 20 years thought i would say that microsoft could out-design apple, but they seem to be moving in that direction. hardware? no. but, at least for software graphic design, they are far more on the right track that faux wood or leather-wrapped apple. gross. 

No. As a whole, Microsoft is NOT out-designing Apple and I doubt will any time soon.

However.... you get serious bonus points for your opinion of the faux-wood and leather look, which I absolutely agree, with the same reaction.

I can't imagine the pain and suffering that Jony Ive deals with, when using those apps on his devices. Completely and diametrically apposed design philosophies!
  • Reply 87 of 171
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

And they probably paid $2 million to ad agency's and focus groups to create 4 squares and use a font similar to Apple.

• Reply 88 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

However.... you get serious bonus points for your opinion of the faux-wood and leather look, which I absolutely agree, with the same reaction.

I can't imagine the pain and suffering that Jony Ive deals with, when using those apps on his devices. Completely and diametrically apposed design philosophies!

True. Apple needs a Jony Ive for the UI. Someone that has the whole vision of now and the future.

I actually wonder if Steve was ever that in any substantial way to be honest.

• Reply 89 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View PostCompletely and diametrically opposed design philosophies!

They're truly not.

• Reply 90 of 171

I guess MSFT will get to an agreement with the Metro Inc. in Germany. They are a big holding for malls and such - but they only have professional/reseller outlets under their name. (The rest are like Media Markt / Saturn, Real,- , Praktiker). What I mean, they are important, but they do not have a lot of mindshare on "Metro". I think, when you asked Germans about "Metro" they would answer "it's the Paris' Subway". And, their Media Markt and Saturn stores are quite big sellers of....brand PCs.

I like the new Logo. But I dislike Windows 8 and even more the new flat but still crowded interface of Office 2013.

• Reply 91 of 171
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

In reaction to my statement: "It's been estimated that 7.42% of the success of the iPad has been directly linked to the eye-catching use of "skeuomorphic" elements in some of the core pre-installed apps..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Really? Fascinating. You have link to back up this claim or have you made shit up?

You can link back to my original post.  The estimation, or perhaps more accurately 'guestimation' was done by yours truly as I was typing it.  So the statement is completely truly.  The estimate may be off however.

But seriously my point was that I am certain that more people purchased iPads because of a positive "wow, that's really beautiful and intuitive" reaction to the apps like Notes and Calendar that were turned away by it.

Also, I find the (mis)use/overuse of the term skeuomorphic to be very tiring.  So much of software is skeuomorphic that it's silly to use that term only to complain about some innocuous visual textures.  It's not like Apple is making us simulate dialing a rotary phone to place a call for example. 

• Reply 92 of 171

Microsoft Windows Minecraft Edition?

• Reply 93 of 171
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're truly not.

That's your opinion, not a statement of fact.

• Reply 94 of 171
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

That should solve all MS problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

AI, It's not called Metro anymore...

It has more catchy name.. Windows 8 User Interface!

• Reply 95 of 171
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is this a last minute decision or a tightly kept secret they thought would shatter the tech media sites for a day?

It clearly worked. We are all talking about it on Apple Insider. 

• Reply 96 of 171
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Windows Metro Sexual.  The new sensual windows.

• Reply 97 of 171

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That's your opinion, not a statement of fact.

The design of the hardware steps out of the way so that the design of the software is what the user experiences. The minimalistic nature of the former serves to promote the richness of the latter. You want cold, clinical, and impersonal, Windows 8 tablets. You want something that anyone can pick up because it mimics its physical analog counterpart, Apple's applications.

• Reply 98 of 171
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

A bunch of squares. What a great way to represent a technology company! As if computer guys aren't already thought of as squares.

[/sarc off]

Sigh. You beat me to it. Apple = cool. Microsoft = squares. How 1960s.

• Reply 99 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

The estimation, or perhaps more accurately 'guestimation' was done by yours truly as I was typing it.

Quote:

But seriously my point was that I am certain that more people purchased iPads because of a positive "wow, that's really beautiful and intuitive" reaction to the apps like Notes and Calendar that were turned away by it.

Or...more people were attracted to what Apple is offering despite these UIs.

Quote:

Also, I find the (mis)use/overuse of the term skeuomorphic to be very tiring.

OK.

Quote:

So much of software is skeuomorphic that it's silly to use that term only to complain about some innocuous visual textures.

So there you go. You've got your opinion and others (including me) have a different one. Of course yours reeks of Apple fanboi-ism.

Fact is though, on some things, they've used this approach to, in my experience, the detriment of usability. iCal is a prime example. Apple might have gone a different route (forward) here that would have created true innovation using the medium at their disposal (software interfaces) to create an even more effective calendar app. But instead they went backwards!

Don't get me wrong. I think Apple's done some great UI stuff. I think their trending on things like iTunes and Finder have been positive (though sometimes incomplete and with different kinds of mistakes.) Mail is evolving. Safari is so-so with the recent one taking some steps backward.

They are imperfect and sometimes get so convinced of what they're doing that they don't see the better way.

Quote:

It's not like Apple is making us simulate dialing a rotary phone to place a call for example. 

No...but they're terribly close on other things:

• Reply 100 of 171

I find many of the criticisms of MS in the logo issue interesting and deeply ironic given how closely it draws from the bauhaus design ethos...as Apple has for decades both directly and indirectly.