South Korean court finds both Apple and Samsung guilty of patent infringement

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm starting to warm up to GoogleGuy. Gives an air of knowledgeable authority, as tho those that use it aren't familiar with both sides of the issues and relying on me to fill them in.  ;)

Except that for people who know what is going on, Google represents massive IP theft, misrepresentation, and flat out lies.

Not surprising that you find that it describes you well.
  • Reply 62 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

This article misses the big picture of what is going on. Read Foss Patents latest post for a better understanding

The situation is not good and could result in Apple withdrawing from the Korean market

Rounding error.

• Reply 63 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

just uploaded on youtube, Jimmy Kimmel samsung add 

This is embarrassingly bad.

This thoroughly unfunny guy got his show moved to the 11.35 PM (prime slot for late night TV in the US) on ABC (owned by Disney)?!

• Reply 64 of 77
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Samsung is more than a corporation in Korea; it's a chaebol and has enormous political clout in that country. You can bet that this is an attempt to sway an American jury from awarding Apple a big settlement. The Korean judges' finding that Samsung phones bear little resemblance to the iPhone originals is laughable.

• Reply 65 of 77

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And who's payroll are you on...?

Samsung's. image

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I'm wondering if anyone's on the payroll of anyone right here. Does anyone but us Appleinsider commenters read them forums?

It's difficult to even group about half of the trolls in under the word "commenters", particularly when "us" accompanies that.

• Reply 66 of 77

So the judgement stopped South Korean sales of Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1, and this is clear proof of Samsung bribing judges? Okaaay.

The loser here are the customers. This insane patent war has to be put to an end.

• Reply 67 of 77

Originally Posted by JohnnyW2001 View Post

The loser here are the customers. This insane patent war has to be put to an end.

Nope.

• Reply 68 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This court ruling is simply an instance of the corrupt South Korean legal system allowing Samsung to save face. It would have been a too egregious example of that country's deeply embedded corruption to simply ignore Samsung's blatant copying, so they chose this disingenuous tu quoque verdict as the best way to do nothing to harm Samsung but maintain some level of credibility themselves.

While it maintains a facade of honour, their is no honour in this pretense of justice.

South Korean ruling? Does it even matter? It's not even worth mentioning were it not that Samsung is a Korean company.

This has no effect on any other court's rulings. And certain markets (or rather, countries with big markets for Apple gear) need to be careful about even considering a ban on Apple products. Not only would it create *a lot* of consumer discord, but also a massive black market for them.

• Reply 69 of 77
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    This is rubish. Clearly Samsung was infringing on the Apple designs by trying to Mimick them with their smartphones, none the less, it isn't as important that Apple can't sell the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 in South Korea, buyers will just get it from the internet by directing their browsers to another Apple website, or visiting a country. As for Samsungs loss, they deserve it. Why would they copy almost every company from Palm, Blackberry, and to Apple!? They aren't innovators, they just invent stuff that's given to them by other people and sell it. Like Android, that's not theirs, it's Googles, and they are the reason to blame for this mess.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyW2001 View Post

So the judgement stopped South Korean sales of Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1, and this is clear proof of Samsung bribing judges? Okaaay.

Customers don't lose. There are hundreds of other lousy Android devices they can choose from. 

Samsung products are banned? No problem. Some other OEM will step in and fill the void. There is no shortage of these very enterprising OEMs ready and willing to flood markets with their gear. 

• Reply 71 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung's. image

Gotta love when the moderators decide to jump in on the "I know you are, but what am I" banter....

• Reply 72 of 77

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Gotta love when the moderators decide to jump in on the "I know you are, but what am I" banter....

Banter? It's true.

• Reply 73 of 77
    845032 wrote: »
    THE high-profile Android case has led to pressure from the judge to disclose paid bloggers. Google named nobody, whereas Oracle named two .

Now it turns out that “Apple has retained Florian Mueller as a consultant,” which is a known way of passing a bribe (it’s the business model, as Microsoft privately calls it). “So GROKLAW keeps catching FM showing bias while publicly holding himself up to be an expert on FLOSS patent violations and the like, and a blogger/journalist,” writes Pogson, who adds: “The guy really is in “Technology Evangelism Mode”. He even sent me an e-mail about Oracle v Google, unsolicited. I reported it to PJ at GROKLAW as did others so she has been on FM’s case for a while.”

“They use the same tactics of misinforming journalists en masse. That’s their service.”Groklaw continues investigating this case and remarks from bloggers are telling: “So, the guy is clearly not an expert on FLOSS patents and is an advocate for those who pay him, not just a “consultant”.

http://techrights.org/2012/08/23/spamming-the-web/

Your link offers no proof of Florian linked to Apple. Your link connects to another website, which also doesn't have any proof. The second website links to Groklaw which doesn't even mention Florian being paid by Apple.

I'm not sure if he is or isn't paid by Apple, but repeating something from blogs doesn't make something true. At least look for some facts, and then link to those.
  • Reply 74 of 77

On a different note, it appears that the ITC has issued their ruling regarding Motorola's complaints.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-24/apple-gets-mixed-ruling-in-motorola-mobility-patent-case-at-itc.html

• Reply 75 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,598member
    I don't think FossPatents has Apple as a client.
  • Reply 76 of 77

On an even bigger different note, the Apple v Samsung jury has allegedly reached a verdict!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-24/apple-samsung-jury-reaches-verdict-in-patent-trial.html

• Reply 77 of 77
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member

Copying is part of the Korean culture if you understand Korea's history. It's in their blood not to innovate but copy their way through everything, no wonder they're so good at cloning.