Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One

“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote in the email, which forwarded an article written by a reporter that switched from the iPad to a 7-inch Samsung tablet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

I think they've knew there was a market for it, but at the same time thought the 10" was "the best" size.

The rumoured size of the mini tablet is 7.85" not 7", just saying. It could make a functional difference.

• Reply 22 of 50
    doggonedoggone Posts: 380member

I'm simply amazed that the case makers have information about the size and shape of unreleased products.  What real advantage do it give them? Is the case market so cut-throat that you have to have a product before the main unit is announced or released.

The cost of building molds must be significant so I'm surprised it is worth the effort.  Maybe its just a way to get some cheap advertising.

• Reply 23 of 50
    welshdog wrote: »
    I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

Urethra. This will be the world's first liquor-powered tablet.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    originalg wrote: »
    I think they've knew there was a market for it, but at the same time thought the 10" was "the best" size.

The rumoured size of the mini tablet is 7.85" not 7", just saying. It could make a functional difference.

I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.
  • Reply 25 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.

All Apple did was to attack the competitors, companies make claims even they themselves don't believe in all the time in order to win market share. The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

• Reply 26 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbrook View Post

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.

Legally questionable?

journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical ...?

Relax. People are just having fun speculating. No one is getting hurt. It's not like ... shooting missiles from drones at another nation, for example.

• Reply 27 of 50

Quote:

But that's Apple's history, isn't it? And I'm not just talking about Jobs.

• Reply 28 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One

“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote in the email, which forwarded an article written by a reporter that switched from the iPad to a 7-inch Samsung tablet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

Choosing a device size is not a *strategy*. Just sayin' ...

• Reply 29 of 50

I believe this is the new Apple proprietary hole, or "A-hole" for short.

• Reply 30 of 50
    All Apple did was to attack the competitors, companies make claims even they themselves don't believe in all the time in order to win market share. The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

I don't think it was about not being able to make it work, but choosing another focus. I don't think poisoning the other options is a solution to the problem though. Apple tends to be measured in scaling up its product variety, focusing on just one size at first had other benefits too, some of which help keep support manageable for app developers.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

• Reply 32 of 50
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Likely an IR Blaster... :-/
  • Reply 33 of 50

Originally Posted by dan brook View Post

…to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose.

This is a rumor website. You have no idea why we exist.

If.

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

The e-mail proves that one person at Apple was not against the smaller device and that he said (no proof) Steve Jobs agreed.

• Reply 34 of 50
    If.

Right, in this case, if, but they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

lol..... lanyard?

• Reply 36 of 50

…they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.

Agreed completely.

• Reply 37 of 50

At last, the first phone designed with the sexting crowd in mind.

• Reply 38 of 50

Originally Posted by dcflack View Post

At last, the first phone designed with the sexting crowd in mind.

Does someone else want to make the joke about how a 7" device being called a "phone" is "compensation" or have I?

• Reply 39 of 50

Quote:

Right, in this case, if, but they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.

They sure like to be assertive at times. At the same time, it's also about how they present a new device/feature that they previously almost said never to. If they say "it's new, the greatest, we invented it" it'll come off poorly, but if they somehow manage to say "you know, there are times when we look back and we see we were wrong, there is something about a tablet this size that people want and we listened", it'll come off much better

• Reply 40 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

I think people really make far far too much of that "sandpaper your fingers" quote from Steve Jobs.  It's crystal clear if you listen to it in context, that the whole thing was an argument about sales, and not about product feasibility at all.  

I don't have it handy to check, but the way I remember it, he was talking about how the other manufacturers were coming out with 7" tablets and that the reason for it was pricing and product availability as opposed to a design choice.  

Yes, the part about the sandpaper does suggest he was dissing the whole category as unworkable, but that wasn't the chief point he was making.  It was more about how the other manufacturers were making 7" screens because that's all that was left in the supply chain and to not let them fool you into thinking that they were making 7" devices because they were inherently better at that size.