Samsung says verdict is not an Apple win, but a 'loss for the American consumer' [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I agree it's a bit stale if you've seen it a few times. But for those who haven't, it is still funny and clever, I would assume. (In fact, I thought that it brilliant in the image in the 'busted' post above, with the 'E' hidden behind the Android's now chopped off head).

In any event, are you now taking on the role of style advisor?

The image is alright because it's doing something different. I'm just talking in general.

I have opinions and thoughts on things. I certainly don't expect my opinions, especially on petty matters like this, to be canon. I simply think it detracts from any attempt at a cogent comment in the same you know anyone who uses Crapple and iSheep is not going to have much to add to a conversation.

This forum has the best members of any site so perhaps I am putting too much of a burden on this topic. This is a day for rejoicing, for justice for anyone who cares about intellectual property so I recant my initial comment.
  • Reply 82 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The image is alright because it's doing something different. I'm just talking in general.

I have opinions and thoughts on things. I certainly don't expect my opinions, especially on petty matters like this, to be canon. I simply think it detracts from any attempt at a cogent comment in the same you know anyone who uses Crapple and iSheep is not going to have much to add to a conversation.

This forum has the best members of any site so perhaps I am putting too much of a burden on this topic. This is a day for rejoicing, for justice for anyone who cares about intellectual property so I recant my initial comment.

I should have added: not that there's anything wrong with being a style advisor! :-)

• Reply 83 of 167
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Dear Samsung:

Blow it out your arse. We are sick of you spewing this crap. We want real diversity, not your knock-off crap. Stop pretending like your some poor little kid being bullied when you're the one bullying other Android manufacturers and stealing and copying.

What Americans want is people to reap the benefit of their hard work and not to get rich at the expensive of those who did the work and took the risk. What Americans want are for corporations to play by the rules and respect our legal system. So please, spare us the melodrama and go back to your little peninsula where you can lie and cheat and it's OK because it's part of your culture.  We happily await real competition and products from Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, Sony and hopefully RIM: companies that actually have original ideas from time to time.

• Reply 84 of 167
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

If the world contained half as many patent lawyers, and twice as many scientists and engineers actually doing basic and applied research, and inventing new technologies and products, we would all be far better off.

And how do you expect to pay all these scientists and engineers when other people in other countries steal your idea and make it for next to nothing? The companies that employ those people would go out of business and that's EXACTLY what has happened to American manufacturing. My grandfather worked at Bethlehem Steel for a long time. When we rebuilt Japan, we also made new steel mills for them (which we really had to because we did destroy a lot of their industry).  But these steel mills DESTROYED American steel.  What used to be a bustling industry in my hometown now lies in rusted ruins.  Same with Detroit and textiles in small towns in Pennsylvania.

So your vision for world peace is nice and all, but I really don't see how handing others a free lunch and them starving us with it benefits anyone in America.

• Reply 85 of 167

Samsung needs to get rid of whoever is sanctioning these incredibly bad business decisions, and replace them with honourable people who understand

good business practice and ethics.

The way they have treated and spoken about Apple is shameful.

Who can treat such an important partner and customer with such disregard and disrespect.

There should be a watershed at Samsung,a complete clear-out of the board.

They need to start building bridges as an example to ALL potential future partners.

It still might not be enough for Apple at this time though.

• Reply 86 of 167
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. What has Samesung ever innovated?  All's they do is copy Apple and others.  That is why their name is: Same-sung.

The answer should have been, what have Koreans innovated? Throughout history they've copied, just ask their neighbor Japan.

• Reply 87 of 167

Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

The answer should have been, what have Koreans innovated? Throughout history they've copied, just ask their neighbor Japan.

The Samsung Galaxy being "The most infamous plagiarism in human history" might be overstepping it, but I like it all the same.

• Reply 88 of 167

A loss for the American consumer, you wish.  Apple represent the United States, our most cherished company. Apple supports the US economy, provides jobs, and pay billions of dollars in taxes to our government. Why would we ever want a foreign company to dominate over your own country. Look at how many foreign smartphone companies there are; HTC, Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Samsung, and etc. Apple is the only US base company that has any chance of competing with all these foreign ones. Apple deserved to win. There shouldn't be any justice for companies that copy and steal peoples' products. Be innovative and create your own product designs.

• Reply 89 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hates the Samesung, Samscum, Scamsung, et al. comments. I guess I just don't see it as clever or original to use these well worn puns. I'd rather see something original even if the attempt at being funny or clever failed, or a cogent argument as to why they are scummy, copyists.

Samsunk anyone?
  • Reply 90 of 167

This is a direct hit on samsung, but more importantly, Android.  Now, android hardware builders, which are all smaller than samsung, will think twice (or maybe a hundred) times before they consider building hardware for a phone OS that basically requires hardware that looks like an iPhone.  Take that google!

• Reply 91 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If Apple's win can prevent manufacturers from feeling safe from litigation when they power up their phones and tablets using Android, then Apple can dry up the support for Android-based devices. Alternately, this can force Android to drop any UI features that will get the manufacturers into litigation, thus making the Android OS less enjoyable to use.

Additionally, several court cases, including this one, have shown that Google is not capable of protecting the manufacturers as once thought. Therefore, choosing the "FREE" Android as an OS is proving to be very very expensive. 

Finally, with this court win, Apple is able to finally show and monetize the lose of profits. That may finally open up Google to be liable for each copy of Android they gave away. 

This verdict is a victory for Windows phone 7... 

• Reply 92 of 167
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    amoradala wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:normal;">"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rounded corners and rectangles."</span>

<span style="line-height:normal;">What incredible arrogance and ignorance.</span>

<span style="line-height:normal;">A disgusting company !</span>
    Obviously the jury didn't fall for Samsung's complete over simplification. This was about a lot more than "rounded rectangles". Samsung's lawyers aren't that obtuse but they were assuming the jury was. They assumed wrong.
  • Reply 93 of 167
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Obviously the jury didn't fall for Samsung's complete over simplification. This was about a lot more than "rounded rectangles". Samsung's lawyers aren't that obtuse but they were assuming the jury was. They assumed wrong.

True, but I'm disappointed that the jury fell for Samsung's silly Fidler patent nonsense.
  • Reply 94 of 167
    jkichline wrote: »
    And how do you expect to pay all these scientists and engineers when other people in other countries steal your idea and make it for next to nothing? The companies that employ those people would go out of business and that's EXACTLY what has happened to American manufacturing. My grandfather worked at Bethlehem Steel for a long time. When we rebuilt Japan, we also made new steel mills for them (which we really had to because we did destroy a lot of their industry).  But these steel mills DESTROYED American steel.  What used to be a bustling industry in my hometown now lies in rusted ruins.  Same with Detroit and textiles in small towns in Pennsylvania.

So your vision for world peace is nice and all, but I really don't see how handing others a free lunch and them starving us with it benefits anyone in America.
    This whole notion of lawyers stifling innovation is over blown. Besides copying another company is not innovating. If Samsung spent more time dong what they preach rather than copying Apple they wouldn't be tied up in court.

This comment reeks of Google saying software patents are bad at the same time Motorola is suing for patent infringement. Sorry Samsung but you're just as evil as you claim Apple to be.
  • Reply 95 of 167
    jragosta wrote: »
    True, but I'm disappointed that the jury fell for Samsung's silly Fidler patent nonsense.
    So the jury threw them a bone. :lol: what's really ironic is TouchWiz is what got them into the most trouble and I'll be most fandroids would rather have stock Android than TouchWiz on their devices. :lol:
  • Reply 96 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Blah fucking blah.

Yep. There's this thing called legal precedent. Apple could use this win to successfully motion for summary judgement in their favor and wipe out a chunk of cases in the US.

Also, how is the consumer hurt by Samsung etc actually having to do some R & D. Shocking but Samsung might come up with a fresh, new and better than Apple way to do something. And that helps consumers
  • Reply 97 of 167
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

That is my view and it is pretty consistent with what I believe to be fair and reasonable.  

It must be very comforting, to find that your views are "pretty consistent" with your beliefs...

DUH

Buncha self-supporting double-talk, trying to make your blahblahblah appear substantive.

• Reply 98 of 167

Quote:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices.

...And these fuckers are still lying. This is a victory for innovation, something they obviously know nothing about unless they reverse engineer it from Apple (as was abundantly clear during the trial, despite desperate attempts to burn the evidence). "Choice"? A red herring: look at all the choices that don't infringe on Apple's patents. "Higher prices"? More FUD. Look at all the non-infringing competitors who are selling products cheap Android phones and tablets.

They either know what they're doing and are now spinning lies to save face, or (scarier thought) they believe their own lies.

I really wonder sometimes...

• Reply 99 of 167
    twonjosh wrote: »

I prefer this one
  • Reply 100 of 167
    applegreen wrote: »
    What about Google?  I think it should be forced to pay at least some part of the damages that Samsung will have to pay.

Don't worry about Google their time will come