Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111

This is like when Brian White & Gene Munster 'confirmed' that there was an Iphone mini coming. 

I wouldn't put to much relability into any of these statements.

Only time we'll know that theres something on the way is when Apple sends out invitations for an event.

• Reply 82 of 111

get sued by amazon?

• Reply 83 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I can't wait for Apple to put these in their new generation of products.

These dual-core models can then be replaced later by the quad-core model below:

Remember when SJ used to say in Stevenotes that something was so fast that it "screamed"? He wasn't kidding. 

So I suppose using these A6's mean it will definitely be called the iPad Air?

• Reply 84 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

This is like when Brian White & Gene Munster 'confirmed' that there was an Iphone mini coming. 

I wouldn't put to much relability into any of these statements.

Only time we'll know that theres something on the way is when Apple sends out invitations for an event.

Except those guys are just Wall Street analysts where the guys confirming the mini are some of the most well connected Apple insiders in the industry.

• Reply 85 of 111
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152132/apple-confirmed-to-hold-ipad-mini-event-in-october#post_2175765"]
    I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.

The Mini Pad and the Maxi Pad?
    More like
    iPod Touch Maxi
  • Reply 86 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Well I can't comment on that, but it's more appropriate than calling them iPad Intruders or iPad Prowlers. Nobody would feel safe with those kinds of names. Although with the dumb names Android OEMs like to tack onto their products, I may have just given them 2 new ones to chew on.

• Reply 87 of 111

I guess iPad mini is probably more descriptive than iPad Nano

• Reply 88 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

"Smaller version of the iPad". I don't get how either is less descriptive than the other. Whether one is more suitable is a different story.

• Reply 89 of 111

What if it is still called iPad, just like MacBook Pro/MacBook Air but with different screen size prefixes? ie. 8-inch iPad, 10-inch iPad, 12-inch iPad, etc.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that the component costs will not be much less. That is an interesting point, and leads me to think that this product is really all about margins and driving holiday sales. You release a product with 8 month old specs every year right before the holiday, and sell a ton of product at high margin before unveiling the new iPad a few months later, driving another round of crazy sales right after. This seems like a good strategy that will avoid cannibalization, and still pander to the confused, pedantic crowd that seem to think having less screen real estate will somehow be an improvement.

• Reply 90 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

It won't be called the "iPad Air" because that's a dumbass name that doesn't describe the product very well.  

• Reply 91 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slang4art wrote: »
    Also, someone mentioned earlier that the component costs will not be much less. That is an interesting point, and leads me to think that this product is really all about margins and driving holiday sales. You release a product with 8 month old specs every year right before the holiday, and sell a ton of product at high margin before unveiling the new iPad a few months later, driving another round of crazy sales right after. This seems like a good strategy that will avoid cannibalization, and still pander to the confused, pedantic crowd that seem to think having less screen real estate will somehow be an improvement.

I don't know what people are thinking when they say that the component costs won't be much less. The display, the processor, the RAM, the size of the battery to run it all. You save a huge chunk right there.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…

Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.

Or each iPod can get its own event.

September: iPhone

October: iPad mini

November: iPod touch

December: iPod nano

January: iPod shuffle

February: real iPad

March: real iPad ships

April: iPod nano mini

May: iPod shuffle mini

June: iPhone nano (WE WERE ALWAYS RIGHT)

July: iPad mini mini

August: iPad mini (not iPad mini, but regular iPad mini, iPad mini)

September: iPhone 4 again, because numbers.

But what about the iMac and Mac Mini?  What about the alleged 13in MBP Retina?

• Reply 93 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

Maybe they can get MiniMe to make the announcement presentation.

• Reply 94 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

But what about the iMac and Mac Mini?  What about the alleged 13in MBP Retina?

The former two should have been out months ago. The latter, who knows. We hear October. 

It's Apple Inc, not Apple Computer Inc, remember. Those don't matter anymore.

• Reply 95 of 111
    Confirmed by people who don't work for Apple. Great "confirmation. I will believe it when App,e announces. I hate it when this is considered confirmee.
  • Reply 96 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Why, in the name of Zeus, are they doing this ....  

Why? 

Why?!?  

NOBODY WANTS/NEEDS A FRACKING "iPAD MINI" 

Jesus ....

I want more than one.

Will likely end up with 3

Assuming they are real

• Reply 97 of 111

That's reassuring.
  • Reply 98 of 111

That's reassuring.
    Then where's the iMicrowave and the iRefrigerator?
  • Reply 99 of 111
    gazoobee wrote: »
    It won't be called the "iPad Air" because that's a dumbass name that doesn't describe the product very well.  
    Slow down. Look at the pictures. It was a joke. One picture was the A-6 Intruder (EA-6A) which has two seats, the other was the A-6 Prowler (EA-6B) which has four seats. The original poster related this to similarly numbered chips and the number of cores each had, I was only trying to acknowledge and expand on his joke. I was not trying to show any preference for naming a resized iPad. I don't have a preference but perhaps I should - I hate having to say out loud the names of oddly named products. If you need an example of this, try ordering anything at the local IHOP restaurant.
  • Reply 100 of 111
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Your story is misleading. It says Apple confirmed the iPad Mini event, yet Apple has done nothing of the kind. It only says your sources have confirmed the event.

The only way Apple confirms an event is when they announce it themselves and post it on Apple.com.

So anyone who is getting excited about this, calm down because nothing has been confirmed as of yet.