Samsung hopes 'strict internal firewall' will protect Apple parts deals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung needs Apple and Apple needs Samsung. 

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/27/idINL3E8JR0PN20120827

Absolute nonsense. Apple should toss this company as a supplier (and Apple will).

The arrogant, recalcitrant, incorrigible attitude of their management deserves nothing less.

Incidentally, good to see seemingly very efficient markets on Monday: At open, in Seoul, Samsung's market cap was down $12B. This morning here, Apple's market cap is up $12B. Nice bit of wealth transfer from Samsung's shareholders to Apple's shareholders there.

• Reply 22 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

...  It is hard to believe a "firewall" in a copy owned by a family clan like Samsung and with clear "pride issue" driving business decisions.  ...

Exactly.  And as has already been pointed out, the "firewall" is a bit of a myth since both units collaborated on hi-jacking the iPhone's previously.  

The way to read this announcement (between the lines) is that the (new) CEO is distancing himself from the group of "bad guys" at Samsung that did the copying.  That unit will eventually be isolated and take all the blame.  This allows the CEO to rise above such bickering and you will probably see a photo-op of him having coffee with Tim Cook sometime soon.  There will be much smiling and pretend back-slapping.  

By next year there will be those that will doubt in print whether there was *ever* bad blood between Samsung and Apple (probably some dumb article asserting same on MacWorld or some other hack publication).  

• Reply 23 of 81

If I was Apple I would be working on a steady plan to find or cultivate alternatives and once cultivated move there.  Helping fund your biggest competitor and work on the low level secrets with that competitor seems shortsighted, longterm.

• Reply 24 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

It is hard to fully trust Samsung now. Their intentions on some levels may be faultless but its all about the culture. I wonder if Samsung actually believe they are in the right - that they didn't copy Apple and that this is legitimate business practice. If so it is worrying. 

• Reply 25 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Incidentally, good to see seemingly very efficient markets on Monday: At open, in Seoul, Samsung's market cap was down $12B. 

Those people who thought that the verdict was only about a mere one billion dollars were really shortsighted and didn't think things through at all. The verdict will have a far greater impact than just hitting Samsung with a one billion dollar guilty penalty, as evidenced by today's stock action. Samsung's loss in court will have far reaching consequences for them.

Then there's the matter of what will happen if bans and injunctions are granted soon. This verdict will end up hurting Samsung to the tune of much, much more than a lousy one billion dollars! It also has a very negative effect on their reputation, as that company has now officially been convicted of stealing.

• Reply 26 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

A4 and A5 CPU's are Samsung chips with some apple unique features

This kind of misrepresents things.  You make it sound like they are modified Samsung designs when in fact they are Apple designs, manufactured by Samsung.  Both are modified ARM's, the SoC's are designed by each company and Samsung manufactures both.   

• Reply 27 of 81
    Despite high revenues, Samsung has only $12 billion in cash at hand. This 1 billion penalty will be over 8% of its cash reserves, and a quarter if tripled by the court. For Apple with 100+ billion under its belt, it would be less than 1% and 3%, respectively.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This kind of misrepresents things.  You make it sound like they are modified Samsung designs when in fact they are Apple designs, manufactured by Samsung.  Both are modified ARM's, the SoC's are designed by each company and Samsung manufactures both.   

That's why it was probably easier for Samsung to copy Apple's designs, firewalls and all.
  • Reply 29 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

To me, this shows a level of maturity that indicates that level-head prevail when rational conversations are had...  Even between Apple and Samsung.

It takes an awfully big person to sue a parent company for a record breaking amount (because they refused to negotiate or discuss reasonable solutions), only to turn around and order a record breaking number of parts from one of their subsidiaries.

I, for one, applaud Tim Cooks ability to keep business and emotion in separate corners.

That may be the case, but it also means that you're letting yourself get stabbed in the back by a company without them fearing return fire.  How many times have we seen ATI and NVidia cards get dropped because of issues?  Whether it's performance issues, or them flat-out stealing your designs, it's the same thing.  If Apple can't sever ties with Samsung to punish them and prove a point, then what recourse does Apple have but to continue to bend over and take it from Samsung?  I fully understand what you're saying about Tim Cook keeping a level head and all, but Apple has severed ties for a lot less than this before.  There's only one way to truly drive the dagger home with Samsung, and that's a complete loss of business from their largest buyer.  Think Steve would have been passive about this?  Regardless of separation of divisions inSamsung, their leadership knows full well what they are doing.  Apple would be best served punishing Samsung severely for what they did (and continue to do to this day), and I'm not talking about court cases.  I've read Tim Cook's letter that he sent out to everyone, and that's a nice touch, but he's at the helm of a company that's losing business to a rival that's stealing Apple's designs and pointing and laughing at Apple.  Samsung knew what it was doing, and was counting on Tim Cook not being able to pull the trigger.  Thus far, Samsung has been right, and that ought to piss everyone off (especially Apple shareholders).  

• Reply 30 of 81

I hope it's not the same firewall that was put between iPhone development and Google's Eric Schmidt when he was on the board.

• Reply 31 of 81

$1B is really nothing for Samsung, a company that will never go away as long as the Korean government is still supporting the company. If Apple doesn't order parts from Samsung anymore, yes, Samsung stock will take a big hit, etc., but life goes on for Samsung, they'll just sell the parts to other companies. Samsung is just an arm of the Korean government, government just don't go away, even if it's Greece.

• Reply 32 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Being giddy over Samsung's market cap down $12B is quite childish. Like Tim Cook said, this isn't about money it's about values. Apple doesn't care about the mone they care about Samsung and others not copying them.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Samsung will lose all of Apple's business one day. The damage is done.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like Tim Cook said, this isn't about money it's about values. Apple doesn't care about the mone they care about Samsung and others not copying them.

For Apple it's about values, that's not the case for Samsung and Fandroids, as they have rather crappy values. So, how does one teach these kinds of people a lesson, you hit them where it hurts most, and that's in their pocketbook. I'm very happy that 12 billion has been shaved off Samsung's market value today.image

• Reply 35 of 81
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Here's hoping AAPL dumps Samsung so violently that Samsung suffers long term permanent irreversible damage! 

• Reply 36 of 81
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Absolutely not. They lie and steal and cannot be trusted

Apple accounts for 10% of Sansung's business. They can kiss that goodbye over the next 24 months
  • Reply 37 of 81
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member

I find that hard to believe since Samsung is the most corrupt company in Asia.

• Reply 38 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I truly hope Apple have alternative suppliers lined up to enable them to drop Sammy ASAP.

Exactly! :) Samsung is going to pay for this cheating in more ways than a Billion dollar fine and lawyer fees! 

• Reply 39 of 81
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

I predict their relationship will only further seperate from here out.  Apple will continue to look for replacement manufacters whenever possible.. and will no longer trust Samsung on its most trusted and secretive parts.  Can you imagine if Samsung was producing the new IPS screen on the upcoming iPhone5, instead of LG.  If they were producing that part.. I'd bet money that a Galaxy S3i would magically pop on on on Sept 11th, with an IPS screen.

• Reply 40 of 81

Apple is already moving its display sourcing to Sharp. I have no doubt Samsung will be cut out of the loop eventually. Hopefully, Apple is getting suppliers to sign up with non-compete clauses. That way, if their new suppliers try to copy them, they'd be violating a contract which should be more clear cut.