California state agencies have spent $423,000 on iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    What does that mean? I am not getting your pun (if that's what was intended).

The president had a herp derp moment and instead of pronouncing it core men he pronounced it corpse man. I think it was a just an honest brain fart, but it was fun to annoy my extremely liberal professor neighbor, who is a total grammer nazi, and considers him the smartest president ever.

Nuts, I just proved that rule about nazis always being brought into political discussions.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Hey, I guess the Government is opening up to another way of doing things.  It's good to see Microsoft have actual competition where they feel like Apple did.  Now the tides are changing, but MANY of the Windows users that were forced to use Windows are being given an alternative.    A lot of them don't miss Windows.

• Reply 23 of 47
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, that's just because of mismanagement of welfare funds. Can't pay the bills, but they buy $150 sneakers and iPhones for the kids.

I knew this thread was gonna get political from the title out… 

California is asking for a sales tax increase in November or $5.4 billion automatic spending cuts to K-12 education goes into effect. If the state really has money for iPad's, maybe they really don't need a sales tax increase.

• Reply 24 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

Maybe they got insurance and a volume discount.

They probably get a standard 10% discount.  I mean if you or your kids (if you have any) go to school, then you qualify for an educational discount.  Some companies are registering for employee discounts.  Probably most Government employees qualify for a Government employee discount.  

If you work for a company, ask HR or someone if they have registered for an Employee Purchase program through Apple.

Depending on the models under the program, the discounts are decent enough.  Electronic items don't have much margin in it, so the only way to get a big discount is when a company is dumping inventory to make way for a new product or because they are getting desperate.  What Samsung is doing by giving these reps $25 spiffs on a brand new product like the Galaxy S III is REALLY DESPERATION.  Because no one is lining up to buy one like the iPhone when it gets released.

• Reply 25 of 47

The State of California should love Apple selling to the State.  They have a TON of employees that pay State taxes, they are doing something to spurt the economy.  For most Government jobs, they don't need much more than a freaking MacMini for their desktop system and then an iPad.

• Reply 26 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Someone needs to show this guy a proper salute!

Maybe a "corpseman" can show him how.

LOL   Good call!

• Reply 27 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Someone needs to show this guy a proper salute!

The President of the United States is a civilian. He is not a member of the US Military and is therefore not entitled to salute. The military salute is a privilege earned by honorable service in the military. 

One of the core principles of our country is our military is under civilian control. The President is that civilian authority over the military as is the Secretary of Defense and the Secretaries of the branches of the armed services.  

In the photo above the president is communicating a very informal at ease gesture.

I don't know about being "entitled" to salute...  but the one initiating the salute is the member of the military.   The President who, by his office, is  the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces,  The President, is returning the salute... by curtesy, custom or protocol...  and, yes, it should be done in a proper and respectful way.

I believe, that the one initiating the salute must hold the salute until it is returned!

• Reply 28 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

The President of the United States is a civilian. He is not a member of the US Military and is therefore not entitled to salute. The military salute is a privilege earned by honorable service in the military. 

Geez. People will whine about anything.

In other news, the President is criticized for NOT saluting:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/obama-arlington-salute.htm

In reality, he's the Commander in Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces. As Commander, he should be saluted and he has the right to salute back. End of story.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/salute.htm

(Specifically, look under "persons entitled to a salute")

Well done, thanks for the links.

• Reply 29 of 47
    Oh, that's just because of mismanagement of welfare funds. Can't pay the bills, but they buy $150 sneakers and iPhones for the kids.

I think his comment was about people assuming you're rich if you have Apple products when he has seen evidence to the contrary. I don't think he was making a comment about welfare.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

If they (the state agencies) establish the pads are a substitute for laptops that otherwise would have been purchased then I applaud their cost cutting. An additional accessory, notsomuch.

• Reply 31 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

California is asking for a sales tax increase in November or $5.4 billion automatic spending cuts to K-12 education goes into effect. If the state really has money for iPad's, maybe they really don't need a sales tax increase.

IMO, the sales tax increase has no chance of passing.   One thing that could be done to ease the financial burden on K-12 education is to purchase iPads and electronic text books.   As I understand it, there are significant savings (lower cost per book, eliminate inventory, handling and warehousing costs, obsolescence, etc,).  I think that some districts in California were able to justify iPad purchases with cost savings and cost avoidance.

• Reply 32 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

Because I was in the USN, I always brace when I see military salute uncovered (that is without a hat on) because the Navy is kind of funny about that. But the other services, not so much. And you can salute anyone you like, there is no law against it. You are compelled to salute officers (and as Commander in Cheif, he is an Officer, well THE Officer, if you will).

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. 

• Reply 33 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I've seen boxes for Macs in the garbage of housing projects, gotta do something with the money they save on rent.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    don108 wrote: »
    The most expensive iPad is $829. How did the Dept of Insurance pay $1000 each? How did the <span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;"> Department of Water Resources spend $1055 each?  How did Caltrans spend almost $1118 each? </span>

That's a good question, and illustrates how government bodies waste tax dollars.
  • Reply 35 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

If they (the state agencies) establish the pads are a substitute for laptops that otherwise would have been purchased then I applaud their cost cutting. An additional accessory, notsomuch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've seen boxes for Macs in the garbage of housing projects, gotta do something with the money they save on rent.

Some of the people have two boxes. One desktop and one laptop.   For most of these people in upper management, I see no reason for them to have a MacMini to do most of their desktop work and then an iPad instead of a laptop.  That's what i would do for these government management people.  Sometimes, they don't get new machines every 3 years, so instead of buying a new machine, they get an iPad and make their desktop machine last a little longer.

• Reply 36 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I think his comment was about people assuming you're rich if you have Apple products when he has seen evidence to the contrary. I don't think he was making a comment about welfare.

Oh, yes, absolutely. That's definitely the point he was making and I agree with what he's saying, simply supplementing his second point about how less fortunate people will have Apple products. 

• Reply 37 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

The most expensive iPad is $829. How did the Dept of Insurance pay $1000 each? How did the  Department of Water Resources spend $1055 each?  How did Caltrans spend almost $1118 each? 

With additional AppleCare + Tax and maybe some apps they bought.  Did you see the actual PO?  Or are you just going by what someone said.  Maybe there were some extras like a case, adapters.  The little stuff adds up.

• Reply 38 of 47

Are those Secret Service snipers on the roof?

• Reply 39 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

it's ridiculous that people are complaining about that. iPads are cheaper than laptops, people think Apple is only for rich people. It pisses me off. It is such a bad stereotype. I go into the less priveliged areas of my state, and everyone is walking around with the latest iPhone. It makes me mad that people think that I am super wealthy just because I have a few Apple products. 

They are just jealous.  It's a whole mystic thing.  Apple Logo means expensive.  It's the brainwashed WIndows/Android sheep.  They just want cheap products and since they don't have anything tangible to talk about, they make stuff up, put us down.  I guess the best way to handle it is, ignore them.

• Reply 40 of 47

Quote:

Caltrans just spent $10s of millions upgrading the train crossing and overpasses so they could travel through the upscale community of Irvine, CA without having to blow the horn because the residents did not like the noise (thank you very much). So Caltrans spends $33,539 on iPads which is likely a budget cut anyway and it causes an uproar. Go figure.

Each department spends what they have at the end of the fiscal year and if they can write a justification, they get em.  It's just stupid BS.