Genius training manual details banned words for Apple employees

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That was my experience. If you're polite and reasonable and if their search of your history shows that you don't abuse the system, they often go WAY beyond what is required.

My iPhone 4 fell in the pool last year. After drying it out, it worked for a while and then started dropping calls and having other problems. I went to the local Apple Store, fully intending to pay the $200 replacement fee for a refurb and they simply swapped it out at no charge. And that was one of the few times that I didn't get AppleCare for a mobile device.

Agreed.  I've had more 'stunned' experiences at an Apple Genius Bar than I've ever had with any other business in my life.   For example; they once replaced my WAY out of warranty, end of life G5 Mac Pro with a dead power supply with a brand new still in a sealed box Intel Mac Pro.  They also replaced my daughter's iPhone after she cracked the front glass while bowling with a brand new sealed iPhone (Might have been a refurb, but...) 

• Reply 42 of 70
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Doesn't sound like they consulted George Carlin on this one.

Crash, Freeze, Hang, C***, C********, M*********** and T***...

LMAO! I regularly run through all 7 words when my Mac freezes, crashes, hangs,....becomes unresponsive.  Sometimes I make up new ones! (and usually it's do to some crappy software).

• Reply 43 of 70
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

And what do the Microsoft Genius' call the Blue Screen of Death?

NORMAL.

• Reply 44 of 70
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

With Microsoft OS here is their word usage

IRQ problems  -  Feature

Registry problems - Enhancement

Virus attacks - Free Productivity applications

Driver problems - Advanced Functionality

• Reply 45 of 70
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

Crash, boom, and bamb.

Those are word that describe what Ballmer does each morning when he's, once again, out innovated, out maneuvered, etc.

• Reply 46 of 70
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

The fact that such a manual exists is, in fact, genius. 

• Reply 47 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That was my experience. If you're polite and reasonable and if their search of your history shows that you don't abuse the system, they often go WAY beyond what is required.

My iPhone 4 fell in the pool last year. After drying it out, it worked for a while and then started dropping calls and having other problems. I went to the local Apple Store, fully intending to pay the $200 replacement fee for a refurb and they simply swapped it out at no charge. And that was one of the few times that I didn't get AppleCare for a mobile device.

Same with me, except it fell in a lake, last week. Out of warranty. I was fully prepared to pay the fee to get it replaced. They swapped it out at no charge. 

Bought a 13" MBA 2 days ago. Re Applecare the convo went like this:

-"Do you know about Apple care? 

- Yep. 

-You want it?

-Nope. 

-"Ok great. You have a year from today to purchase if you change your mind" 

Also, the store had a shitload of employees. 

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that any of this internet chatter has any merit to it whatsoever. Service is still amazing, still getting freebies, Apple care wasn't 'shoved down my throat', and there were almost as many employees as customers, even though the store was packed. But I guess websites need clickbait. 

• Reply 48 of 70
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member

The words that are in the "Don't use" column are buzzwords though. Anyone who's worked with computers for years will know them, but to the uninitiated they might be confusing or intimidating. To your analogy, it would be like the doctor telling the patient they have "bronchioloalveolar carcinoma" - yes, it's the correct term in medical circles and to Latin scholars, but to everybody else, it's meaningless. "Not responding" is like "lung cancer" in this analogy in that it will be understood by anyone with a working knowledge of English.

• Reply 49 of 70

Bravo! Right on the mark!

• Reply 50 of 70

My wife works for a huge business software company. They do the same thing.

I am sure most computer/electronics companies do the same as well.

• Reply 51 of 70
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boga3 View Post

5 Popular lines to us when breaking up or picking a fight to break up with that same Apple Genius :

1. "yeah, I'm not all all looking for a relationship right now. I am really trying to build up my social network of friends right now and I'm sooo glad I met you!

2. "I just don't feel that there is enough room in your life for me, Siri and Apple blog trolling"

3. "I don't think it's ok to recite lines from Steve Jobs (the book) during our intimate times"

4. "It's not you, it's me. But mostly you!"

5. "I secretly think Apple should make their iOS Free. What do you think?"

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Just wondering... ...haven't really been looking during my visits, but since you brought it up, don't think I've seen many if any female Apple Genii... ...anyone with more experience who knows how well they're represented in the ranks?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotRichard View Post

Standard Operating Procedure in upscale restaurants. If a waiter says "crispy" he means "fried." If he says "briny" he means "salty." If he says "it's interesting" he means "I wouldn't order it but my boss says to sell it."

The restaurant's likely not too upscale if it's offering "crispy."  That is, I hate to break it to you, but KFC is not haute cuisine.....

• Reply 52 of 70

"Feel, felt, found" is ancient.  I learned it at least 20 years ago when being trained to work a charity telethon.

I thought Apple would use some great Jedi mind tricks and not a cheap Willy Loman strategy.  Eh.

• Reply 53 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caanan @ No Vacation Required View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    what about "spinning beach ball of death?"  Is that in the playbook?

Side note:  The logic board on my MBA (2011) failed last week.  Took it to Apple and - despite the fact that my MBA is no longer under warranty and I don't have AppleCare - they fixed it for free.  I was stunned.

Kernel panic instead of BSOD.

• Reply 54 of 70

I guess spinning beach ball of death would get you axed. LOL

I hate the genius bar.  I know whats up with my hardware and I dont need to be treated like an idiot.

• Reply 55 of 70

Originally Posted by down-low View Post

I hate the genius bar.  I know whats up with my hardware and I dont need to be treated like an idiot.

Not everything that Apple does caters to you.

• Reply 56 of 70
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Wait wait wait... this is insane! You mean to tell me that Gizmodo is still around!?!

• Reply 57 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    down-low wrote: »

Then don't go to the Genius Bar. Problem solved.
  • Reply 58 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

I taught myself a lot of this kind of stuff on my own when I worked at a computer store in college.....  Nothing wrong with that, imo.

+1

They are Soft Skills....without doubt the most important part of a job where you are interacting with customers.  CompTIA had a whole course on this strictly for IT.  There is nothing new here, and I expect other IT businesses to scramble for this handbook because it's probably another fine example of Apple genius.

• Reply 59 of 70
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Banning the use of IMPRECISE language is the idea.  What does "Crash" mean?  Kernel panic?  Did an application unexpectedly quit?  Or just stop responding?  The whole computer or just one application?  I could go on.  Avoiding common, highly-vague terms helps focus in on the problem faster - and that's good for the customer and the genius.

The banned terms aren't imprecise. They have a very definite technical meaning. For example, an application hanging or becoming unresponsive is called a bomb. But not everyone knows the technical meaning so it's probably right not to use them with most customers.

• Reply 60 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    what about "spinning beach ball of death?"  Is that in the playbook?

I'd go with Zen Rainbow of Patience.
    slurpy wrote:
    if I was Apple I would do the same thing. What the hell does 'crash' and 'freeze' mean anyway? Non-responsive is more technically correct.

I don't think it's for accuracy but rather reducing the negativity in the situation. Same reason they use 'thin' instead of 'thick'. The rMBP isn't 0.71" thick, it's 0.71" thin.
    kotatsu wrote:
    Imagine if a doctor did that - sorry you have lung canc... oh I mean, your lungs have stopped responding.

They do to some extent. Remember when Steve Jobs was told he had cancer, he was told to 'get his affairs in order', which he noted was doctor's code for 'prepare to die'. They say things like 'passed away' instead of 'died in a fit of rage by choking on some vomit'. If a harsh description isn't going to make a difference, they might as well use some euphemisms.