Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Freedom or Death !
  • Reply 42 of 49
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I read somewhere that like 80% of Facebook accounts are fake or duplicate/secondary, throwaway accounts which is against their rules. How long before Apple ID and iCloud accounts start being faked at the same rate? I can understand having to use your actually identity to register an iPhone since it has a monthly bill from the carrier but it is just a bit too invasive in my opinion to require you to have and Apple ID and a credit card to upgrade the OS on your computer. Personally I liked it better before when I could go to the brick and mortar Apple Store or Amazon and purchase the family DVD without having to register everything. Apple is just getting way too into my personal affairs for my liking. 

I'm sick and tired with everyone going on about how Facebook has over 950 million users. No it doesn't. It was over 950 million ACCOUNTS! Completely different. I wish people would finally acknowledge that.....

• Reply 43 of 49
    Good to see that Drag and drop, battery performance, awakening from sleep issues are right up there in Apple's priorities.
    How can I go back to Lion until this almighty mess called Mountain Lion has been sorted.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    maecvs wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired with everyone going on about how Facebook has over 950 million users. No it doesn't. It was over 950 million ACCOUNTS! Completely different. I wish people would finally acknowledge that.....

In a 10-Q filing, Facebook acknowledged that a total of 8.7% — or 83 million — accounts on the network are bogus. Of that 8.7%, 4.8% are duplicate accounts, 2.4% are user-misclassified accounts and 1.5% are “undesirable” accounts, a.k.a. spam.

So that only leaves 872 million accounts.

And I reckon that translates to a lot of users too.

It's still the largest online community... any way you slice it.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

The last thing in the world I need is better facebook integration.  What happens when Facebook falls of the Earth??  You have all this bloated crap in your OS.

• Reply 46 of 49
    mike fix wrote: »
    The last thing in the world I need is better facebook integration.  What happens when Facebook falls of the Earth??  You have all this bloated crap in your OS.

If Facebook falls off the Earth.... the OS will be updated... and the bloat will be removed.

It's probably 30 lines of code out of millions. Nothing to lose sleep over anyway.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

So far Mountain Lion feels more stable and quicker than Lion.  I'm having fewer issues and am seeing faster internet performance and a faster interface.  Power management seems about the same.  The only issue I had was on the initial install.  After a few minutes, I got a warning screen telling me my HDD was damaged and could not be repaired, so ML could not be installed.  I ran a permissions repair and disk verify, which came up OK.  It then installed in about 30-45 minutes.   So far, so good.  

• Reply 48 of 49
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

In a 10-Q filing, Facebook acknowledged that a total of 8.7% — or 83 million — accounts on the network are bogus. Of that 8.7%, 4.8% are duplicate accounts, 2.4% are user-misclassified accounts and 1.5% are “undesirable” accounts, a.k.a. spam.

So that only leaves 872 million accounts.

And I reckon that translates to a lot of users too.

It's still the largest online community... any way you slice it.

I guesstimate at least 100 million accounts are duplicate, triplicate, ones. Accounts that are abandoned from games people are barred and banned from. Lots of fake accounts as well. I just get annoyed when every equates an account for a unique, individual, separate user. Not even close.... 

• Reply 49 of 49
    maecvs wrote: »
    I guesstimate at least 100 million accounts are duplicate, triplicate, ones. Accounts that are abandoned from games people are barred and banned from. Lots of fake accounts as well. I just get annoyed when every equates an account for a unique, individual, separate user. Not even close.... 

That's precisely the quote I just showed you. Facebook already factored in all the fake accounts and whatnot.

So what's the real number of users then? 800 million? 700 million? Who knows. But Facebook is still the most popular social network on the internet. People ARE using it... more than any other membership site.

There are about 2 billion people on the Internet... so it's not hard to believe that 800 million people are on Facebook.