Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171

What a joke of an article. Street view is better for real world use and its not close. 

And street view is no longer street view, its restaurant view, its shopping mall view, its museum view, college campus view, government building view, national park view, art gallery view. 

Not to mention google's transit (bus, ferry, tain), walking, bike.

Apple is releasing a inferior service with ios6. 

street view with the addition of compass mode makes fly over look stupid.

• Reply 22 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Sorry, I still think street view is much more useful.

I've been using iOS 6 since the first beta and while Maps has improved significantly I do miss Street View. There is no substitute for finding an address by taking a virtual stroll down the street.

After my initial "fun" with FlyOver I have not used it since. I simply don't see how this feature will be useful in finding a location. On top of that, in an area with any substantial structures you can't even begin to see the street because the height of the building is blocking your view.

I have no problem with this feature being included but i do have a problem with a useful being removed. If Apple wanted to compete Google on mapping then why not make their own Street View. I can't imagine there are patents that prevent Apple from strapping a camera to a car, it's in how the tech is executed after that.

Couldn't use the tech with FlyOver to get very detailed digital images that are very precise in how far away from the edges of the buildings they are so regardless of how far the vehicle is on the street you could adjust your viewing position to be on the sideway and still get the same perspective. I'd personally like a tech that would recognize every vehicle shape and people so that Apple's version of Street View would eliminate all those elements from the image with the tech that allows FlyOver to see so many angles at once. Nice clean streets without mobile object blocking facades an signage.

LOL!  Then you could green screen the people and the cars and display them in front of...

How would you handle statues?

Actually, I'm looking forward to FlyUnder and FlyInside... "You Are Here".

I suspect that Apple will need to eventually add street view -- and allow Google Maps in the Interim...  Or, possibly, just incorporate Google Street View into iOS maps as they have done previously.

• Reply 23 of 171
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I wonder how good this is going to be OUTSIDE the US. as GSV does exists for quite a lot of cities and countries and wherever I went, I found it very very useful....

I wonder too.  I travel to Beijing a lot for work (about 6 mos. of the year) and searching for anything on Google maps kind of sucks.  They just recently updated the maps to be bilingual, but you still can't search for an address unless you type it in Chinese.  With the Chinese adopting Apple's Ecosystem far faster than any other country, I'll be closely watching the improvements they make for that.

• Reply 24 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Google has become the very essence of the word 'creepy' on the Internet.

Can't wait to get the last vestige of the Mountain View Ad Company off of my iPhone.

I don't see anything wrong with Street View from a privacy standpoint.  The images aren't good enough to see into windows.  And many times, you can't get a good enough look into buildings because of street trees or other physical objects that block a clear view.  Plus, if you have nothing to hide, there's absolutely nothing wrong with street view.  Google even blurs out license plates on cars.  Not to mention the images are not real-time.   I just looked at my own house on street view.  Found my cleaning lady's car parked in front, but can't read the plate number.  Point is, unless you know exactly what you're looking at, it's pretty harmless.

• Reply 25 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    LOL!  Then you could green screen the people and the cars and display them in front of...

How would you handle statues?

Actually, I'm looking forward to FlyUnder and FlyInside... "You Are Here".

I suspect that Apple will need to eventually add street view -- and allow Google Maps in the Interim...  Or, possibly, just incorporate Google Street View into iOS maps as they have done previously.

Statues have a different density than mammals and statues tend to be more stationary than mammals so between radar and the algorithms that allow FlyOver to recreate a 3D image I think it's possible to remove certain types of objects. Now stationary cars would be a different story but it could still be done if the camera can record the detail on the other side of the object from a different angle. Of course, a car parallel parked and the source vehicle on a narrow lane road would probably not be able to get enough detail to remove the object but road vehicles and pedestrians shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Reply 26 of 171

Quote:

So you never use any sort of map for anything? You automatically know where every street?

Do you know realize the benefit of Street View that allows you get information about a location without actually going to that street. Example: "What was the name of that [insert business name] we were at when we were in [insert city name] last [insert previous time frame]?"

another example.  Let's say you had lunch at some place, saw a shop a couple doors down you wanted to visit but didn't have the time to go.  Now you forgot the name.  Just pull up street view...problem solved.

• Reply 27 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    That was exactly my point when they first unveiled the features of the new Maps App.  Hasn't Apple's philosophy always been to make products and services that were significantly better (in all aspects) than the competition?  To me, this new App is a "Beta" at best.  Before Siri, I can't remember when Apple produced "Beta" versions of software?  This seems very Un-Apple-like.  They've always had the position to produced finished products the first time and only improve with updates.  This new vision seems like a step backwards for Apple.

There have been plenty before Siri that were released as Beta. Siri is just the most prominent because of the requirement to market it, to make it heavily sued, so it can eventually not be a beta.

As of iOS6b3 it no longer feels like a beta product but it does feel incomplete because of the lack of Street View. I don't use the public transportation aspect but that seems fine if they include APIs that allow for others to make competing products. Usually doesn't replace something unless it has a distinct advantage for the consumer. I will happy with Google releases an app for iOS.
  • Reply 28 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Spin it how you want, but working in NYC I can tell you that iOS 6's maps app is way, way less useful than iOS 5. It will be a dramatic downgrade. No subway directions, no street view so you know what the storefront looks like... GPS doesn't work great in the city anyway... I expect Apple to have a PR nightmare on its hands next month...

I didn't even think about subway mapping?  You mean iOS 6 Maps has no subway overlays?  That would really piss me off since I highly rely on them when traveling.  Grrrr.  Plus in Beijing, the subway exits are so crazy, sometimes you're a full block away from the intersection by the time you exit the subway.  Google Maps does have some really good overlays for that!

• Reply 29 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Quote:

I have no problem with this feature being included but i do have a problem with a useful being removed. If Apple wanted to compete Google on mapping then why not make their own Street View. I can't imagine there are patents that prevent Apple from strapping a camera to a car, it's in how the tech is executed after that.

Google has been sending out cars with cameras for years around the world (not just around the USA).  It has been an incredibly time consuming effort, and they've had their own legal run-ins and privacy issues along the way. 

For Apple to come along and redo the same thing would, in my opinion, be impossible in the shortened time window that they have.  Google has thousands of people working on Google Maps.  Apple has not put the same amount of human resources into their project to be able to play that kind of catch up.  Maybe Apple could borrow Google's driverless vehicles and then use them to Street View map the world...

Here's how you do it... you group-source it...  Everyone with an iPhone and the AutoStitch app can submit their media and get paid for it... iTunes Gift Cards...

Quote:

I have often walked down this street before; 

But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before. 

All at once am I Several stories high. 

Knowing I'm on the street where you live.

• Reply 30 of 171
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

another example.  Let's say you had lunch at some place, saw a shop a couple doors down you wanted to visit but didn't have the time to go.  Now you forgot the name.  Just pull up street view...problem solved.

Don't you remember where you just had lunch a few days ago?  If the shop was a few doors down, just go back to that block.

What am I missing?

• Reply 31 of 171

Quote:

As of iOS6b3 it no longer feels like a beta product but it does feel incomplete because of the lack of Street View. I don't use the public transportation aspect but that seems fine if they include APIs that allow for others to make competing products. Usually doesn't replace something unless it has a distinct advantage for the consumer. I will happy with Google releases an app for iOS.

Well, I hate the idea of allowing 3rd party devs to make up of Apple's laziness to integrate features.  If they don't have at least transit maps and subway exits overlaid in the native app, it's pretty freakin' useless to me.  You need a one-stop-app when on the go.  Not one app for transit, that uses Maps as it's background, then the standard Maps app for location finding.  That's just stupid.  Please tell me they at least overlay this in the Dev Beta?

• Reply 32 of 171

post 31

• Reply 33 of 171

post 34

• Reply 34 of 171

post 35

• Reply 35 of 171

post 36

• Reply 36 of 171

post 37

• Reply 37 of 171

post 38

• Reply 38 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Don't you remember where you just had lunch a few days ago?  If the shop was a few doors down, just go back to that block.

What am I missing?

you miss the point.  enough said.

• Reply 39 of 171

post 39

• Reply 40 of 171

post 41 whew