2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Amazon sold 6.1 Kindle Fires in 9 months.

Not particularly impressive.

"6.1 Kindle Fires"? I didn't know you could sell 0.1.

I think when it's returned, they still count it as a tenth of a sale...

although, then it should have said, "Amazon sold 1.6 Kindle Fires..."

• Reply 22 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I suspect that 22% in the US is based on Amazon website sales compare to other similar product they sell on their website. No Table supplier has called out how much of their sale was US only. 

Their claim maybe true is all you are considering it what Amazon sold themselves in the US. Other than this they can not make any claim like this since they or anyone else has the specific data to make the comparison.

• Reply 23 of 31

If they had a 22% share, they'd have to be, conservatively, selling at least 10M units. This would imply $2B in revenues. That would be material enough for them to have to break it out as a segment, I would imagine. 

The fact they don't feel compelled to do so or even provide any hard data on numbers sold screams B-O-G-U-S.

• Reply 24 of 31
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

22% of what?  Android tablets?  7 inch tablets?  If I were a shareholder I'd have to ask some serious questions about that figure.  

• Reply 25 of 31

They're probably counting the one my wife got from my mom as a birthday gift.  I told my mom to return it and I would pay the extra money for an iPad.  She returned it and now my wife is enjoying her iPad. :)

• Reply 26 of 31
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

If they aren't going to release numbers, why not swing for the fence? Should have said 45 or 50 percent.

• Reply 27 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

They're probably counting the one my wife got from my mom as a birthday gift.  I told my mom to return it and I would pay the extra money for an iPad.  She returned it and now my wife is enjoying her iPad. :)

You mother doesn't really like your wife; never approved of your marriage. Your rejection of her gift tells me you and your mother has never seen eye to eye on anything. Your relationship has become even more difficult since you got married.

Anyways, another lawsuit will get the real numbers out.

• Reply 28 of 31
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

I hate to be a kill joy of the number bashing, but in my little sphere, these numbers ring pretty true.  I know 10 people that own tablets right now.  Of the 10, 7 are iPads (including my own), 2 are Kindle Fires, and 1 is some other Android tablet (maybe a Galaxy tab).  Simple math: 10 / 2 = .2 (or 20%)

Go easy on me, please.  This is purely informational and for fun.  I am certainly not claiming this is scientific.  It doesn't mean Amazon is right, and it doesn't explain why they don't release the numbers.  I just think it is interesting.  Certainly not reporting the numbers makes it seem fishy, but I am not sure Amazon ever reports their Kindle numbers. 

• Reply 29 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

If they aren't going to release numbers, why not swing for the fence? Should have said 45 or 50 percent.

I think they DID swing for the fence, though. They know the iPad is roughly 70% of the shipped tablet market, so they probably spent around half a million dollars worming their way through what their competitors shipped to determine what the largest percentage of the other 30 they could get away with falsely claiming is theirs. 

• Reply 30 of 31
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Anyways, another lawsuit will get the real numbers out.

Have you ever used a Kindle Fire?  They have really done a number on Android and it is very little like it used to be (for the worse- from a usability perspective).  In my brief experience I was confused due to how different it was.  It wasn't very intuitive.  Plus the shape is a bit more boxy than an iPad.

I am not saying there isn't some patent infringement somewhere with regards to rubber banding or pinch to zoom, but I don't think Apple will be making much off the Kindle Fire....but I could be wrong

• Reply 31 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I hate to be .... in my little sphere.... Go easy on me...  This is purely informational ...I am certainly not claiming ...doesn't mean Amazon is right... doesn't explain why ...Certainly not reporting ... but I am not sure ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

...In my brief experience... I was confused ....I am not saying .... but I don't think ....but I could be wrong

Defensive much?