Sharp hits delays producing screens for Apple's next iPhone - WSJ

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Yeah I do feel for them, actually… it used to be their screens were the cutting edge of display tech… their TVs always looked the best, their laptop panels, and so on. Always great quality.

They exist in a very tough niche in a very tough market… up against stiff competition in their own country (Japan) and then lots of upstarts too… Not an easy market to survive in much less own.

I hope they pull through...

I still think it's displays look the best. My newer Sharp TV is noticeably better than Samsung and Sony offerings in the same price range. Sharp also is the only flat panel TV maker to make all its own screens, which keeps the quality consistent.  Samsung is notorious for putting on display a panel it made, but boxing lessor quality screens. Sharp, however, built a brand new factory where the iPhone displays are made. Manufacturing issues likely have to do with the new factory. 

• Reply 22 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I still think it's displays look the best. My newer Sharp TV is noticeably better than Samsung and Sony offerings in the same price range. Sharp also is the only flat panel TV maker to make all its own screens, which keeps the quality consistent.  Samsung is notorious for putting on display a panel it made, but boxing lessor quality screens. Sharp, however, built a brand new factory where the iPhone displays are made. Manufacturing issues likely have to do with the new factory. 

Yah, agreed… if it's true, it's the combination of a new factory AND a new display technology ramping production (if the rumors of a new thinner display tech in the new phones holds up)… never an easy process, one can imagine.