New 'iPhone 5' shots show side-by-side comparison with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pictures claiming to show Apple's next iPhone continue to surface ahead of an expected Sept. 12 announcement, with a new series of shots showing side-by-side comparisons with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

The latest batch of pictures of the handset commonly referred to as the "iPhone 5" were published on Friday by Nowhereelse.fr, and once again show a new design with a slightly taller display that has been seen repeatedly in other leaks. In this series of photos, the alleged new iPhone is shown next to an iPhone 3GS, and an iPhone 4, offering a better look at how the new design will be different.

The "iPhone 5" case appears noticeably thinner than the iPhone 3GS, and even thinner than the iPhone 4.

The images again show a SIM card slot on the right side of the device, with volume buttons on the left along with a mute switch. Not included in Friday's latest shots is another picture of the bottom of the device, but one shot showing the rear casing of the handset from the inside with various parts shows the smaller dock connector and moved headphone jack.

The pictures also show a new hole between the camera lens and LED flash. The mysterious addition has also been seen on leaked components claimed to be from Apple's "iPad mini" and next-generation iPod touch.

iPhone 5 1

iPhone 5 2

The latest images come just a day after a series of high-quality images claimed to show the front assembly for the next iPhone, and compared the part to Apple's current-generation iPhone 4S. Also on Thursday, a very blurry picture purported to show a processor labeled "A6" on the next iPhone's logic board, though the quality of the image made its legitimacy questionable.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 12 to unveil its next-generation iPhone with a slightly taller 4-inch display. It's anticipated that the device will become available just over a week later, on Sept. 21.

iPhone 5 3

Some concerns arose this week that availability of the new iPhone at launch could be constrained. The Wall Street Journal reported earlier Friday that Apple's LCD manufacturing partner Sharp has hit delays and not yet begun shipping screens for the new iPhone. However, it was said that Japan Display Co. and LG Display Co. are already shipping screens for the next iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    'in the hand' this is going to be a much better experience than seeing a crappy photo. Hold your prejudice, boys and girls.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    It's growing on me. Just hope it's lighter than IP4 (I carry phone in pocket).
  • Reply 3 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Notice that this rumored iPhnoe 5 is so much narrower than the 3GS...

Interesting, you know the theory going around was that Apple couldn't make a 3:2 aspect screen because it would sacrifice your thumb reach range and make the device too wide.  Well, if this device is legit, obviously they could have made a 4" 3:2 aspect screen based on what I see here.  The 3GS didn't have thumb reach issues.

You know, even though the 3GS was so much thicker, I still prefer the shape for ergonomics.  I remember when Jobs presented the design, he was so excited about mentioning how wonderful it was the hold the 3GS, how well it fit in your hand.  Never said that about the iP4, just praised it more like an object, a marvel of engineering and design.  Which it is a pretty phone, but not that comfortable to hold.  I know they love to go thinner for thinner-sake, but i could care less.

• Reply 4 of 65

Er... hold on...

A powder-blue and gold edged iPhone 4?

• Reply 5 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Er... hold on...

Obviously Non-OEM parts there although they could have coated the band with a vacuum chamber and some chemicals. I know someone here that replaced his own screen on his black iPhone 4 and wanted to be different so he stuck a white display assembly on it. He has a zebra iPhone now.

• Reply 6 of 65
    mkart4mkart4 Posts: 18member

I think this comparison needs to be made with the screens on

• Reply 7 of 65
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member
    My hope that all the rumors were all wrong and the screen will be bigger all round instead of just taller dies a bit every day. It pretty much dead now... A taller screen was/is a stupid idea. No idea why they went with it
  • Reply 8 of 65
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Er... hold on...

I was thinking the same thing. Makes the photos seem less legitimate. Though adding some colour wouldn't be a bad idea....
  • Reply 9 of 65
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Looks absolutely awesome to me. Not sure what there is to complain about.

• Reply 10 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Notice that this rumored iPhnoe 5 is so much narrower than the 3GS...
    Interesting, you know the theory going around was that Apple couldn't make a 3:2 aspect screen because it would sacrifice your thumb reach range and make the device too wide.  Well, if this device is legit, obviously they could have made a 4" 3:2 aspect screen based on what I see here.  The 3GS didn't have thumb reach issues.

How did you come to that conclusion without seeing a 4" 3:2 device and seeing how the average thumb sweep would affect it? The only 3:2 display are 3.5".
  • Reply 11 of 65
    geoadm wrote: »
    My hope that all the rumors were all wrong and the screen will be bigger all round instead of just taller dies a bit every day. It pretty much dead now... A taller screen was/is a stupid idea. No idea why they went with it

Care to elaborate why a significantly wider device isn't an issue for placing in a pocket or using one-handed when the thumb pivots from the side in a natural position?
  • Reply 12 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Makes the photos seem less legitimate. Though adding some colour wouldn't be a bad idea....

I want to see a (PRODUCT) RED iPhone.

The black screen and a red body... that'd look awesome.

• Reply 13 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    geoadm wrote: »

Because its not a stupid idea at all, it looks amazing, and will improve every aspect of using the iPhone.

Would you mind saving the, "I have no fringing clue what I'm talking about" opinions for Macrumors so I don't have to read them? Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    timbit wrote: »

It's a very ugly mod but to me that makes it even more legitimate because it screams access by someone from China who has intimate knowledge of iPhone assembly, or at least knows people that do.
  • Reply 15 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Care to elaborate why a significantly wider device isn't an issue for placing in a pocket or using one-handed when the thumb pivots from the side in a natural position?

I guess the question could be turned around and asked as such. Why are millions of android phones (more sold that iPhones) with a wider screen not a major issue for those millions of people?

Now clearly there are levels. A huge 5" screen is ridiculous, but a slightly wider and taller screen would not have been a bad thing IMO.  People are starting to favor more screen space over the smaller phone profile.  Sales of the larger Android phones bring strong evidence for that position.

• Reply 16 of 65
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Er... hold on...

I'm diggin' it.

• Reply 17 of 65
    captain j wrote: »

I guess the question could be turned around and asked as such. Why are millions of android phones (more sold that iPhones) with a wider screen not a major issue for those millions of people?

Now clearly there are levels. A huge 5" screen is ridiculous, but a slightly wider and taller screen would not have been a bad thing IMO.  People are starting to favor more screen space over the smaller phone profile.  Sales of the larger Android phones bring strong evidence for that position.

1) I haven't seen any evidence that this Android-based devices with considerably larger screens than the iPhone are outselling the iPhone. The only evidence we have are questionable stats from Google execs about activations. If you look at most Android-based devices on the market most are much smaller than the iPhone and most don't seem to be used as anything more than a feature phone, not an app phone.

2) It's clear Apple is making the transition simple for developers which will carry over to the users by only affecting the display along one plane. If they make a 4" display that is still 3:2 you do know you have a much wider device than you would any 4" 16:9 device, right? Are you suggesting they increase the pixel size, which screws with all the effort they put into investing into those 326 PPI displays and the size of elements of the display, or do you propose they increase the resolution in both directions which has many other complexities for a window-less OS?

edit: 4" at 3:2 is 2.22" wide. 5" at 16:9 is 2.45" wide. Not much wider. Can you see how the aspect ratio plays a role here? So what we are getting is an iPhone with a larger display that will be an easy transition for devs and users, and only gets a little taller despite the extra length of the display.

3) Why do you think a 5" is ridiculous but not something that <5"? Why do you draw the line there? What is the magic number? Why aren't you considering other aspects like aspect ratio, thickness, bezel and other things that affect the usability for the average hand of Homo sapiens sapiens.
  • Reply 18 of 65

Quote:

I want to see a (PRODUCT) RED iPhone.

The black screen and a red body... that'd look awesome.

Red is a tricky color to work with...

• Reply 19 of 65
    Hi. New to the forum although I have been reading for years. Another comment similar to the blue comment on the iphone 4 above, was the iphone3Gs ever available in white? I thought that white was not made available till the 4.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Placed a Samsung Galaxy S3 in one pocket and an iphone 4 in another. Guess which one was less noticeable and easier to get in and out. Hint, it wasn't the Apple. So some extra width really isn't a big deal. I too wish Apple had gone a tad wider.