Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're wrong. Android has 600,000 apps in the Play store as of June 2012.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_market) iOS has 650,000 as of June 11, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS))

Lol... It cracks me up with jrag pulls info out of his butt and then gets disproven.  One of my daily highlights.  Then it's better when he tries to still argue his point.  lol.

Android apps are hideous and need more regulation for google's UI.  But with several different aspect ratios, processors, features, etc- continuity is hard.  Android doesnt necessary have to raise the bar- just make a standard- and force everyone to abide by it.  Then the phones will follow suit with aspect ratios, more up to date technology, etc. (I'm speaking of the cheaper ones).

Regardless... give me an iPad mini!

• Reply 62 of 116
    'I played around with this at Best Buy, considered picking it up, but then decided against it."

Does Best Buy carry the Nexus 7 now?
  • Reply 63 of 116

I really enjoyed all the erroneous and untrue statements reading the Android proponents comments about the Google Nexus 7.

The truth if anyone can consider Google Nexus 7 "buttery smooth" it is due to the use of a twelve core graphics processor.  Notably, the use of a twelve core graphics processor on a relatively small 7 inch screen with only 216 pixels per inch.

Interesting how "quality of apps" isn't a consideration of Android proponents because "it is too subjective."  No, you simply don't understand design and are unfamiliar with the requirements of a high quality user interface.

• Reply 64 of 116
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I doubt we will see Apple selling an iPad Mini for $199, so the Nexus ought to have its own niche of being an inexpensive tablet that is adequate for most users' needs.

If the rumors are true that the iPad Mini is based around the iPad 2, then it ought to be inexpensive to manufacture so there is no reason not to target $199 unless there is an Apple tax.

Apple sold over 17 million iPads last quarter alone. iPad sales numbers are fast approaching iPhone sales numbers.

Folks are willing to pay up to get an iPad. Competing with Apple on price in the tablet market (or rather, iPad market) is usually a losing proposition. 

What's an "Apple tax"?  Apple does not levy any additional tax on products above the standard rate you're already paying. 

• Reply 65 of 116
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

this AI short Nexus 7 review is ... too short. it omits one really important fact and misses the most important "big picture."

the important missing fact is the Nexus 7 is wifi only. that of course is a very significant practical limitation on everyday use. especially since its smaller size makes it so portable. sure, Google will likely come out with a cellular model for, say, $275, but hasn't yet. wouldn't surprise me if they announce it in a week or two, ahead of the iPad Mini launch - there will certainly be a 3G Mini.

the missing big picture is the ecosystem. Google's strongest feature is its very extensive ecosystem, which is very very convenient for consumers who are totally set up with it. i would think that is the best reason to buy any Android device. ecosystems are far more important than isolated apps - the app supply issue, which isn't really that important.

the Google and Apple ecosystems are the two widest-reaching certainly. the don't match up completely, but certainly overlap predominantly. the big advantage of Apple's is its consistency enables all third party software to integrate with it smoothly, making it very easy for non-techie consumers to use increasingly sophisticated apps. whereas Android's fragmentation has resulted in pervasive inconsistencies among third party software and a general lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down - the app quality issue, which really is very important.

• Reply 66 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Impressively unbiased review. The Nexus 7 is a fantastic piece of hardware and software. I love that your only negatives are about it are android apps and the iPad mini. I actually think the android apps are more of a plus than a negative. All current android apps run full screen natively right out of the box on the Nexus 7. Something that the iPad mini might not be able to say. That being said, do you think apple can(will) compete on price? $199 is quite cheap. If the iPad mini is $299 I'd go for a Nexus 7. If it's $199, I'll take the iPad mini.

$199 is for the Nexus 7 with only 8 gigs of storage (and some taken up by the OS).   Will Apple sell an iPad mini with only 8 gigs?   Certainly all previous iPads have started at 16 gigs.    So it's possible that you'd really be comparing a $249 Nexus 7 vs. a $299 iPad mini (with the same amount of storage). Is the iPad worth $50 more?

• Reply 67 of 116
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

this AI short Nexus 7 review is ... too short. it omits one really important fact and misses the most important "big picture."

the important missing fact is the Nexus 7 is wifi only. that of course is a very significant practical limitation on everyday use. especially since its smaller size makes it so portable. sure, Google will likely come out with a cellular model for, say, $275, but hasn't yet. wouldn't surprise me if they announce it in a week or two, ahead of the iPad Mini launch - there will certainly be a 3G Mini.

the missing big picture is the ecosystem. Google's strongest feature is its very extensive ecosystem, which is very very convenient for consumers who are totally set up with it. i would think that is the best reason to buy any Android device. ecosystems are far more important than isolated apps - the app supply issue, which isn't really that important.

the Google and Apple ecosystems are the two widest-reaching certainly. the don't match up completely, but certainly overlap predominantly. the big advantage of Apple's is its consistency enables all third party software to integrate with it smoothly, making it very easy for non-techie consumers to use increasingly sophisticated apps. whereas Android's fragmentation has resulted in pervasive inconsistencies among third party software and a general lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down - the app quality issue, which really is very important.

It was the same thing when the Kindle Fire was released. A lot of fanfare over nothing much. Great device, supposedly, and all that jazz, but the consensus was: "it's good but it's no iPad." 

And the whole effort fizzled after a few quarters.

• Reply 68 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

That's just a lie and you know it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Pure FUD.

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps. So for your statement to be correct, there must be MANY hundreds of thousands of iOS apps that won't run on the iPad.

I'll settle for you naming just 10.

Angry birds phone version on Nexus 7. Click to enlarge

Angry birds phone version on iPad 2 Click to enlarge

Example of scaling.

Total fud, You are right! /s

• Reply 69 of 116
    quadra 610 wrote: »

It was the same thing when the Kindle Fire was released. A lot of fanfare over nothing much. Great device, supposedly, and all that jazz, but the consensus was: "it's good but it's no iPad." 

And the whole effort fizzled after a few quarters.

Agree 100% Quadra. I have a Kindle Fire and it is no iPad but for me it doesn't need to be. I mainly use mine as an e-reader which can do some ligght web surfing and in that regard it works just fine. If I want to get some good work done on a tablet however my iPad is my go-to device. I think Amazon's biggest mistake was in positioning the Fire against the iPad. They two are CLEARLY not equal but in my case there's a place for both.
  • Reply 70 of 116
    I have an old double-din car stereo that's begging to be replaced with a 7-in tablet.

I haven't figured out how to integrate the hands-free phone feature.

Another possibility is the Clarion Mirage.

Personally, I think Google, Microsoft, and Apple are missing HUGE opportunities by not making carputers.

(Yes, I know about Ford Sync by Microsoft, but it's not the same thing.)
  • Reply 71 of 116
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

No camera to take photos and videos.  Oops.  I would think that that is a normal thing for mobile devices now.  I guess they didn't want to charge an extra $50 for about $10 worth of electronics.  I wouldn't buy one.  I would give that product a SIngle Star and tell Google to hang it up and stick to their search engine and put more resources into getting YouTube to behave better.

• Reply 72 of 116
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

The iPad mini will probably come with a decent camera and maybe some other technology Apple has yet to announce.

• Reply 73 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojala View Post

I got the Nexus 7 (16G) as well, originally the idea was that it was cheaper and smaller to travel with than the iPad 3.

I have been very positively surprised.  I prefer the size to the iPad.  All the primary apps work very well on the Android and Jelly Beam feels the first really usable Android version and most of all, feels very competitive to iOS -- in fact some features are already better such as the multitasking UI.

I have also an retina iPad 3 but 3/4 of the time I carry the Nexus instead.  The market is getting tougher for Apple for sure, takes a while for the Apple-blind audience to notice though.  (I'm all Apple in general and consider myself a fanboy, too)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Angry birds phone version on Nexus 7. Click to enlarge

Angry birds phone version on iPad 2 Click to enlarge

Example of scaling.

Total fud, You are right! /s

This argument is rendered invalid by the following:

Almost all popular iPhone apps have a specially optimized Tablet version. 

Lets also not forget that not all Android apps scale correctly. Here is a prime example of a phone app being scaled on a tablet screen:

• Reply 74 of 116
    I keep going back to that unboxing video... that is truly a classic! No one will ever accusing them of copying Apple's packaging! eh Samsung?!
  • Reply 75 of 116
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The iPad mini will probably come with a decent camera and maybe some other technology Apple has yet to announce.

yes. taking snapshots and vids is absolutely one of the very most important/popular uses of smartphones, and the iPhone does a great job, both hardware and software. the iPad is too big/clumsey for everyday snapshot use. but a Mini might be an excellent size for it. the larger screen will make it easier to see what you are doing at least. Apple definitely should give the Mini the same camera as the iPhone.

• Reply 76 of 116
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Lets also not forget that not all Android apps scale correctly. Here is a prime example of a phone app being scaled on a tablet screen:

Are you sure that's a tablet?? If so that's a mighty big thumb he has. . . 

As far as the OP's point being "invalid" I'd disagree. I wasn't aware of the appearance difference between scaled apps on the two platforms and was surprised to see how well scaling works on Android apps, which would seem to negate the need for a "tablet-optimized" versions in many cases. Perhaps even most cases. 

• Reply 77 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What is a wool PC?

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)

Look it up. ``died in the wool'' is an old idiom that you know but are mocking due to the fact the person didn't write, ``dyed-in-the-wool.''

• Reply 78 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you sure that's a tablet?? If so that's a mighty big thumb he has. . . 

As far as the OP's point being "invalid" I'd disagree. I wasn't aware of the appearance difference between scaled apps on the two platforms and was surprised to see how well scaling works on Android apps, which would seem to negate the need for a "tablet-optimized" versions in many cases. Perhaps even most cases. 

Bingo. That is exactly why Google chose 7". The larger tablets DO need tablet optimized apps. The Nexus 7 has a size such that it is not needed. I'm not arguing what size tablet is best. Just saying that's exactly why Google chose to go with 7".

• Reply 79 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I can't say I have a single phone game that doesn't scale perfectly with my Nexus 7. All of the below were bought on my Phone and all work without "tablet optimised" special versions that would require a separate purchase. A selection of some below:

Universal apps on iOS are super cool but am not a fan of sd and HD versions of the same app. I also openly agree there must be apps that scale like crap on the Nexus or are purely broken.

• Reply 80 of 116

Edit: Double Post. Sorry