Hackers leak 1M iOS device IDs supposedly taken from FBI agent's laptop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by magz View Post

You can check if your UDID is leaked here: http://pastehtml.com/udid , partial search accepted.

Of all my devices, only my iPad 3 (Verizon) was leaked.  I wonder if all the devices leaked were from Verizon?  

• Reply 22 of 42

So the FBI is engaged in illegal snooping?  Doesn't everyone know they do?  The federal spooks (FBI,TSA,CIA, etc) pay little attention to either laws or the Constitution; they do as they d**n well please. The Gestapo and the NKVD would have loved all the snooping equipment and technology that the federal spooks have.

• Reply 23 of 42

Not sure how you do that.  My wife has google docs from her work place that require java, netflix likewise requires it.  Do you have a work around that allows technically uninformed users to use the web and not have Java?

• Reply 24 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    IT sure does beg the question what the FBI is doing with that many UDID's to begin with….. I suppose we could have 12 million "suspected terrorists" and "felony suspects" and "drug-related criminals" in the US… but no doubt mixed in among those; "political activists" and "journalists" and "certain practitioners of selected religions" and so on… after all, Hoover may be long gone, but much of his culture remains...

I'd wager a good half those UDIDs are what we would consider unjustified, and crossing some legal lines...

The next big question would be, where did they get them? The same AT&T that helps the NSA monitor EVERYONE'S phone calls perhaps? Or maybe the NSA just shared...

No matter what, this is why I have a problem with laws like the Patriot Act… abuse of power is easy…. recovering the reins of power from the abusers, not so much...

It was the best Angry Bird players. Think about it, birds being shot into buildings built by pigs. Birds, as in planes, and pigs, a euphemism for law enforcement officers. Anyone who plays that game is a terrorist. It all makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 25 of 42
    What the f******!
    The government is up to its old tricks. Mother..........
  • Reply 26 of 42

America...Land of the free. Welcome to the real world, chaps.

• Reply 27 of 42
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

[SIZE=14px]Well, that is a bit misleading / euphemistic. Developers would get some of that for/from their own app, but certainly not for all of them on any phone; and certainly not any ZIP codes, phone numbers or addresses without user consent.

And perhaps they gave the consent. Who knows where this information, if real, came from to be on that laptop, if that is how they really got it
  • Reply 28 of 42
    old-wiz wrote: »
    So the FBI is engaged in illegal snooping?  Doesn't everyone know they do?  The federal spooks (FBI,TSA,CIA, etc) pay little attention to either laws or the Constitution; they do as they d**n well please. The Gestapo and the NKVD would have loved all the snooping equipment and technology that the federal spooks have.

Based on a statement by a hacker group. You know they could be lying. The laptop might have been evidence from a raid. Or the file was something they had from one of those 'snooping' apps and was never on the computer. Those 'look up your UDID sites could be phishing folks to get more info somehow.

Who knows what's going on but it might be what they say
  • Reply 29 of 42
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

13million odd people can now sue the FBI.

How do you know they are "odd"?

• Reply 30 of 42

It is unlikely that the FBI can have 12 million felons and terrorists on their laptops since most of the adult population is already in jail for one reason or another and they DONT have apple computers. I suppose it could be the "terrorists and felons" that work in financial services but I thought that they were on the same side as the FBI!

• Reply 31 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

um, they use Apple products?

• Reply 32 of 42

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The person who sues first will end up in a ditch somewhere mysteriously killed. With their identity wiped and replaced with a wanted fugitive posting.

Or is that the CIA's job?

KGB.

Originally Posted by magz View Post

You can check if your UDID is leaked here: , partial search accepted.

That's nice. This is just in case they didn't get your UDID, you can just give it to them willingly by typing it on the Internet. That's nice.

Originally Posted by sholto View Post

No, the phrase "#-odd" is used when the true number is unknown but a moderate range around the spoken number is.

• Reply 33 of 42

The laptop could have been a honeypot...  It will be intresting to follow the story to see the who's who on this list.

• Reply 34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The FBI has all this shit on a cheap-assed Windows laptop and didn't even think to encrypt it????!!!!!

at least he was not using a shitty Mac

• Reply 35 of 42

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

at least he was not using a shitty Mac

What purpose do you have to be here? At all?

• Reply 36 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Bingo.

Crap laptop

Crap OS

Crap Java

Crap security

Crap CSV file

Crap (no) Encryption

FBI annual budget: 8 Billion USD.

What's wrong with this picture?

why should they use OSX read usage data only 5% of all computers ran OSX...thank god the majority are smart and use Windows

• Reply 37 of 42

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

why should they use OSX read usage data only 5% of all computers ran OSX...thank god the majority are smart and use Windows

You're trolling. Blatant lies, no truth, complete nonsense. Why are you here?

• Reply 38 of 42

LOL NUBES. Sorry. Just had to get that out there.

• Reply 39 of 42

Happy to say I was not under investigation by the FBI. Don't know about you guys.

• Reply 40 of 42
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sholto View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Oh...good to be "odd" then, I guess...better than trolling anyway ;-)