Apple patent could lead to carbon fiber MacBook housings

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I'm all for Apple protecting their intellectual property, but this is really going to far, IMO.

CF molding is a pretty mature industry. I sure don't see anything new in that patent. It read like a basic description of how most CF stuff is made these days. I realise they are looking at it in terms of mass produced items like phones and computers, but how does Apple think Carbon Fibre bicycles, hockey sticks, and goalie masks are mass produced? There are massive factories in Taiwan that pump out millions of products using a process that looks to me to be exactly the way that Apple describes in their patent application -- two sided pressure molding with hydraulic ejector pins. You end up with glass smooth, incredibly strong parts that can be quickly stamped out in high volume.
  • Reply 42 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Agree.  Not sure that CF is recyclable enough to satisfy Greenpeace.  And from what I've heard, CF is easy to scratch.

I seem to remember Apple hiring a CF manufacturing process expert a few years ago.  And I also seem to remember that

Apple submitted a patent request (or received a patent) on a method of attaching a metal "skin" to a CF chassis.

This would add extra strength, reduce the scratching problem, and allow for Apple to maintain the metallic product appearance.

Maybe the next-next-gen MacBook Air will have that construction.  (If CF can be recycled efficiently enough.)

Aha! They're going to make the major substructures with carbon fiber and coat them in LiquidMetal for that shiny look and for added protection.

(of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounded like a good idea when I thought of it! :) )

• Reply 43 of 44
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing at all, when it is. Sadly, it isn't. Not with many here.

That one post, standing alone, looked fairly benign. I don't know the guy's history. I am guessing you do. I won't clutter things up any more.

Thanks!

• Reply 44 of 44
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Yes they do.
    Carbon fiber materials have been in use for decades there are many methods to employ the stuff. Is this method unique, I can't say for sure but it does appear to be an adaptation of an injection molding process. If I understand the patent correctly it looks like a very high volume method.
    Legitimate companies won't want to get dragged into court for obvious violations like you imply. Is it obvious maybe but that isn't the question, the question is has something similar been employed in the past. Many patentable processes have been adaptations of previous technology used in different ways.
    So? There is nothing unusal here. This patent is likely something that would be easy to license from Apple for non competeing products.
    Again I don't know what your point is. Like I said legitimate companies don't steal. This is really only an issue for those that want to compete with Apple materials wise.

My point was this... Apple patents all sorts of stuff... yet other companies think they can get away with using them. Why can't they get patents for themselves?

Recently Apple sued Samsung, and one of the patents was for a specific method of indicating the end of a scrolling list. AKA the bounceback or rubberband patent. It held up in court and Samsung was found guilty of it.

Samsung is a legitimate company... yet they were found guilty of using Apple's patents. Clearly Samsung couldn't think of another way to accomplish the task, right?

Now here we are... Apple has patented a new method of carbon fiber production.

So I was just wondering if we think we'll see another courtroom battle in regards to carbon fiber. That's all.

Since this patent was just issued to Apple... it will be interesting to see how it goes forward from here.