Motorola expands RAZR lineup with three new Android smartphones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

True, but they won't be talking about it for long if the only features released are the ones that have been mentioned in the various rumors.

Joe Consumer doesn't know. Mainstream media will pick it up. Tech sites already had it covered. The bulk of the market doesn't visit tech sites. 

Every year there are rumours. And every year the iPhone dominates the headlines, regardless. It all comes down to product and ecosystem strength. That alone does plenty of marketing for Apple. The products largely speak for themselves. 

• Reply 42 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Motorola makes the worst garbage. I have never had a Motorola phone make it the whole two years of a contract. Something always breaks. Motorola also always has a different version of the power adapter. Whereas my second generation iPhone is still in use in the family.

• Reply 43 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

You might not like plastic but please, Lumia? You mean that 'looks good' phone that nobody wants to buy?

Say what you want about Nokia, but it makes a lot better hardware than Samsung, Motorola, or HTC. People aren't buying the Lumia because of the OS it runs not because of the hardware. I for one would go Windows Metro before Android.

• Reply 44 of 64

What I like about Moto is their great cell radios, wish one of these were coming to Sprint, still, I do have my Photon, not Q lol.  From reading around the web it looks like the Razr M has about the same footprint as the iPhone 4S.  I wonder if having that small of a bezel will cause problems.  I agree that the design could be a little more inspired.

PS:  I'm keeping my friends that dig the iPhone updated on all the rumors, most don't bother to read tech sites and they love my updates :)

• Reply 45 of 64

Yawn is right on... 

Google agreed to acquire Motorola over a year ago, and this is the result?

What a bore...

I guess it was all about the patents...  This is all 'me-too'...

• Reply 46 of 64

Couple of things;

Edge-to-edge screen,  I was under the impression that for the edges of the screen to be useful touch areas, there needs to be an slight area around the screen.  For anyone whos ever used an old fashoind PC touch monitor with a bezel,  touching the very edge (i.e. small scroll bar on a PC) is a pain

Also my wife has the new HTC One S from t-mobile,  it's nice, but the soft buttons are more of a problem than anything else.  they are right below the keyboard and nothing sucks more than typing a facebook post only to accidentally hit the home/back button and loose all of it...

The "Soft Buttons" should be a LED lit silk screen far lower (where the verizon logo is) with capacitive touch. Preferrably the touch interface would have to be pressure sensitve so it could tell the difference betweent a slight brush against and a deliberate Push.

There is NO REASON they should be on the actual screen,  they aren't "Context Sensitve"  (meaning they dont change,  just always the same 3 buttons) so a  fixed LED backlit silkscreen would, 1) free up screen space, 2) Prevent accidental touching,  etc...

I.E.

• Reply 47 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What I want to know is how come the media wonders if every phone will be an iPhone killer? Since the Galaxy S III is supposedly the best-selling top smartphone on the market why isn't the media asking if threesome new Motorola and Nokia smartphones will be Samsung killers? Why is it only Apple that the media is looking for someone else to overtake? Because Samsung isn't good click bait?
  • Reply 48 of 64
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

I'm tired of squinting when I type text messages on my iPhone 4.

Settings>General>Accessibility>Large Text...

...take your pick from 20pt to 56pt.

• Reply 49 of 64
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member

Heck, even iPhones' styles change over the years. And hear people holler when they don't!

• Reply 50 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

YAWN... who cares about fugly pieces of plastic. At least the Lumia looks good

I still think it's really pathetic that about the first comment about any non-Apple product is something about it's appearance. Does it really matter how pretty the iPhone is? I mean, what's the first thing most people do with their iPhone? They stick it in a protective case which pretty much destroys all of the actual product's aesthetics.

• Reply 51 of 64

Quote:

Meh? Really? Sure, it's not beautiful (and goodness knows, that's what really matters), but it has a 4.3" screen in a form factor nearly identical to the iPhone 4S.

Which begs the question: Why can't Apple deliver a larger screen in close to the same form factor? I'm tired of squinting when I type text messages on my iPhone 4.

Make the font larger, Gramps.

• Reply 52 of 64

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Heck, even iPhones' styles change over the years. And hear people holler when they don't!

And when they don't change "enough", hear them holler louder. 

• Reply 53 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Windows 8 is great and the Lumia is what have me jump ship from the  iphone 4s which is not great at all and iphone 5 is exactly the same soup all over again

What? Did Tim Cook give you a preview of the new iPhone and you now know all about it?

• Reply 54 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Yeah, but that are still rectangles with rounded corners.  :-)

• Reply 55 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Settings>General>Accessibility>Large Text...

...take your pick from 20pt to 56pt.

Such setting is not even an option on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean....

• Reply 56 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I still think it's really pathetic that about the first comment about any non-Apple product is something about it's appearance. Does it really matter how pretty the iPhone is? I mean, what's the first thing most people do with their iPhone? They stick it in a protective case which pretty much destroys all of the actual product's aesthetics.

EDITED: Inane content. :)

• Reply 57 of 64

Those phones look like bags of ass.

And to think I was so fond of the real RAZR

• Reply 58 of 64
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Truly disappointing from a company whose cell phones served me so well for so many years. They should've released one phone designed like one of these.

Hopefully their flagship phone will look a little better. It is being released in London in two weeks time - 18th I think.

The battery life on the Razr lineup is fantastic but it is amazing how ugly that small tappering off top and bottom makes them look.

• Reply 59 of 64
    54 years old here with glasses and recent cataract surgery. No problems here with viewing the iPhone 4S, although I'm looking forward to the slightly larger iPhone 5.

G
  • Reply 60 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Windows 8 is great and the Lumia is what have me jump ship from the  iphone 4s which is not great at all and iphone 5 is exactly the same soup all over again

Well... It appears you'll be left out in the cold. Just in case you didn't know, your current Lumia will NOT get Windows Phone 8 as an update. 

Buy a new phone today, no update for you tomorrow... that's the same soup all over again. At least Apple is proving to offer updates for iPhones going back 4 years old. No other company is doing that, period. The only surprise was the first iPad won't get iOS 6. 

PS, just because the announcement for the 12th has a 5 in the shadow, doesn't mean the iPhone will be dawned the illiterate #5 as part of the name. It was 5 years ago in June when the first iPhone was released.