High-quality images claim to show 'iPad mini' housing in detail

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Isn't this the exact same part as was shown in late july early august?  

here

Edit: And by that I mean this is actually not new information, comes *previous* to the recent much more believable looking parts leaks, and therefore seems more likely to be an early prototype rather than the final deal.
  • Reply 22 of 38

The logo isn't inlayed through the back, it looks like it may be a decal applied, not very apple-esque.  The lack of mounting holes isn't necessarily a sign it's a fake, apple could be building a subassembly that mounts to the holes on the outer perimeter.  I do think the logo is a dead ringer for a fake though...

• Reply 23 of 38

Whether they're real or not, the interesting stuff is unknown:

- Is it retina?

- What's the battery life

- How fast will it be compared to iPad 2 and Retina iPad

- How good is the camera

- Will it have an LTE version?

and...

- How much will it cost

So the leaks really don't tell you anything at all.

• Reply 24 of 38

font looks wrong.

• Reply 25 of 38
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

If the rumor is true, I'd definitely buy one.  The iPad is great, but it gets a little heavy during long sessions.  With a retina display, legibility would not be an issue for me.

• Reply 26 of 38
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tania View Post

Will Tim Cook ever going to do anything about all this leaks? Is this the new Apple mandate, let everyone in on whatever new products they're working on? It seems to me they're having major security issues.

Look at it this way. Leaks about Apple products are just like product announcements from the other companies. They give some indication that a new product is coming. The media is not allowed to touch it. The details are sketchy. No pricing information is revealed. And everyone is still in the dark when the product will actually be made available for sale.

As examples, I give you the Microsoft Surface, Blackberry 10, and Nokia Lumia handsets.

• Reply 27 of 38

We all know that Apple go through multiple prototypes when designing a product and sometimes pull a product at very last stages of development just because they decide they don't think it is good enough. 

One question though - if the iPad mini was released next month with the new dock connector, the iPad 3 would still have the older version.  The same could be said for the iPhone 5 coming out and Apple still selling the 4 and 4S.  However that wouldn't seem so bad since the 5 is replacing the existing products where as the mini is in addition to the current iPad.

• Reply 28 of 38
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamboat View Post

Anyone else think that this looks more molded than machined?  Hoping to see some Liquid Metal here.  It's resilience would be good for a product that is so conveinent to carry / give to kids.

It does have a moulded 'look,' but it's fairly obviously machined.  Also, this much liquid metal would make the iPad minis cost about five thousand dollars each. 

Personally I'm not liking the look of this at all.  My first instinctive thought when I see this thing is ... "that's not pretty" and you can rarely say that about Apple products.  I prefer for the moment to believe in the more recent parts leaks, especially this part, which looks more believable to me and is incompatible with this backpiece.  

I also question whether aluminium is even a good fit for an iPad mini.  This particular piece has a more rounded, moulded form as you point out and therefore is difficult and more time consuming to produce and seems to leave an awful lot of metal behind.  This thing looks like it has more metal in it and might actually be heavier than the original iPad aluminium.  I'd prefer something very similar to this, but using a 'unibody' plastic process.  

• Reply 29 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    brutus009 wrote:
    Notice the bottom left corner of the first photo.
    Doesn't it seem to just keep going and going?
    I realize it may just be an odd angle, but...
    Something seems terribly wrong there.

The Apple logo would also show on the other side as it's used for getting the wifi signal out so the logo and text are Photoshopped on (quite badly too). I think you're right about the first photo.
  • Reply 30 of 38

I'm surprised AI didn't include all the "via's": digi.163 via nowhereelse.fr via cnn.com via macrumors.com via ************ via cultofmac.com via digitimes via Al Gore. /s

In all seriousness, the images don't look right to be real. The lack of mounting points on the back casing itself is a dead giveaway. Someone mentioned Apple using a substructure within the case? Yeah, that makes sense, lets make the device thicker and heavier for no reason. I might believe that the logic board assembly will be attached to the back of the display itself, but that seems unlikely. Another issue: the speaker grills. Not because they look like the leaked iPhone grills, but because there are two of them! So the smaller iPad will have two speakers but the larger iPad (with more wiggle room for components) only has one... it doesn't make since. And there's no reason to put a microphone at the bottom of an iPad like there is for the iPhone. So why are there two speaker openings? Finally, the sides are constructed in a way that would make the device feel pretty thick. Apple has been focused on tampering the edges of the iPad (and the MacBook Air) to make it feel thinner in the hand than it actually is.

Regardless, this design doesn't resemble any of the previous iPad designs. But then again, Apple has surprised before and I could be entirely wrong.

• Reply 31 of 38

Anyone else notice that QR code?

Wish the image was higher res.

• Reply 32 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    A very nice unibody with dock connector and speaker grills that sure look like an Apple product.

time will tell...
    Speakers?

Stereo?

About time!

(or is it a mic for Siri?)
  • Reply 33 of 38

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Who says he hasn't "doubled down"?

Well, to know he has doubled down, we need to hear that one of Apple's suppliers, KFC, has informed its other customers that shipments of chicken, bacon, and cheese will be a little late… 

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

- Is it retina?

- What's the battery life

- How fast will it be compared to iPad 2 and Retina iPad

- How good is the camera

- Will it have an LTE version?

- How much will it cost

So the leaks really don't tell you anything at all.

- Probably not

- Less

- Slower

- Worse

- Maybe

- Not appreciably less than the iPad 2 will cost next year.

Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

One question though - if the iPad mini was released next month with the new dock connector, the iPad 3 would still have the older version.  The same could be said for the iPhone 5 coming out and Apple still selling the 4 and 4S.

Big deal. Apple has sold Macs with Thunderbolt for two years and USB 3 for a few months. 

In that time they've refused to update the Mac Pro to have these new technologies. They're perfectly fine with selling an entire line of computers with completely different features and ports. They often don't have their modern (meaning whatever they're selling at the time) hardware match up all hardware features across the entire line. The Mac Pro doesn't even have Bluetooth 4 yet. 

• Reply 34 of 38
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Look at it this way. Leaks about Apple products are just like product announcements from the other companies. They give some indication that a new product is coming. The media is not allowed to touch it. The details are sketchy. No pricing information is revealed. And everyone is still in the dark when the product will actually be made available for sale.

As examples, I give you the Microsoft Surface, Blackberry 10, and Nokia Lumia handsets.

LOL...so true.  If Blackberry shareholders are lucky the blackberry 10 will never be released.  Blackberry needs to sell itself before its current management wastes all the remaining capital it has.

• Reply 35 of 38

Seems pretty thick for an iPad mini. I would think Apple would be aiming for iPod touch thinness. This looks thicker than an iPhone 5.  Also, the first photo looks wierd - like the logo & ports aren't centered on the iPad case.

• Reply 36 of 38
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

my guess, the shape is about right...looks very similar to the first Gen iPhone profile, but the speaker holes are way too big and too far spaced.  Compare to the current iPad's almost microscopic holes, I'd say this is a fake, but a very good fake, or an early prototype such that they didn't have to put so much effort on fit and finish.

• Reply 37 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cash907 wrote: »
    ... and?

It kills the WOW factor and I'm not talking about Darrell Sheets from Storage Wars
  • Reply 38 of 38

Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Seems pretty thick for an iPad mini. I would think Apple would be aiming for iPod touch thinness. This looks thicker than an iPhone 5.  Also, the first photo looks wierd - like the logo & ports aren't centered on the iPad case.

That's because the parts are completely fake. The Apple logo is cut out on a real iPad. Those are just stickers or photoshop.