Report claims Chinese students 'forced' to intern at 'iPhone 5' factory

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

University students from Huai'an in Jiangsu Province were alleged to have been driven to a Foxconn factory after it couldn't find enough workers for production of the "iPhone 5,"

Crock of shit. I guess I imagined all those images showing an ocean of people outside of Foxconn desperate to get a job.  But yeah, now Foxconn is kidnapping students, and probably enfants and cute kitties to work in their slave factories,  am i right?

• Reply 42 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Crock of shit. I guess I imagined all those images showing an ocean of people outside of Foxconn desperate to get a job.  But yeah, now Foxconn is kidnapping students, and probably enfants and cute kitties to work in their slave factories,  am i right?

Perhaps Foxconn finds it less expensive to train university students than uneducated dirt farmers = Profit!

• Reply 43 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Does this come from the same source that said Steve Jobs was trying to smuggle throwing stars onto a plane? lol

It is true.

Steve went on a business trip to Japan on his private jet.  

He purchased some throwing stars as a souvenir for his son.

Airport security would not allow him to take them onto his own private jet.

Steve was furious and vowed to never return to Japan.

Apple denied it but of course they don't want to admit that their CEO thew a hissyfit at the airport.

• Reply 44 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacChelsea View Post

Trust me. This is true. We have had numerous reports in the news here in Hong Kong about this situation in mainland China. Many of these students are from poor families in the countryside and they couldn’t afford to pay the tuition fees. so the schools sent them to factories to work for six months or so, the schools will get most of their wages as tuitions fees and then the students are given just a meagre fee for their daily living. Then the students will go back to schools to study for about 3-4 months, and then they have to go tot he factories again. I’m sure you can find numerous reports on the web (many in Chinese though) about this, as it’s not an uncommon practice in China.

That's a far cry from the article which implies that folks are being grabbed off the streets and basically held prisoner to do this work. 

• Reply 45 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I disagree. All my girlfriends have absolutely craved donkey penis.

Not bragging of course.

You laugh but according to my Shakespeare professor from Uni the reason an ass is mentioned in Midsummer Night's Dream is cause the donkey was renown for the size of its penis and the vigor with which it used it. 

• Reply 46 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Move along, ladies and gentlemen. Nothing to see here.

This is just another attempt by Apple's competitors to put a damper on their launch next week. Next thing you know they'll be hiring terrorists to attack Apple stores.

Oh, wait...

(Images courtesy of 9to5mac)

• Reply 47 of 49

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Man those spec sheet iPads are really ON there. Where can I get that glue?

• Reply 48 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

So, basically it's learning to be a slave. An iPhone 5 slave.

They are being paid, and they are not in chains.

Companies exploiting interns is not new or unique to China. The students may not enjoy the work, but they must think the end result is worth it or they would not be there. Paying some dues to get ahead is not slavery.

• Reply 49 of 49
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Cheap "in house" labor?! Nothing new here; it goes on in a lot of places in various forms.

Doing it to school-kids seems a bit harsh but it's par for the course at university level. It's actually a bit of a scandal in the German university system that (e.g.) chemistry professors that own chemical factories use their own students as cheap/free labour. I had a buddy took over six years to finish his PhD because of all the work he did at the Herr Professor Doctor's factory. American profs also keep their students back on pretexts (cheap skilled in-house slave labor), which puts them at a 3 to 4 year age disadvantage on the world market compared to graduates from British or Australian Unis (where science PhDs at 24 y.o. aren't uncommon). (And the Swiss, Dutch and Germans (suspended in 2011) also have national army service to hold them back.)

Enz