Evidence of airline support for Apple's Passbook surfaces ahead of iPhone debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah Near Field Communications, frankly I don't see any problem for Apple in adding NFC to the platform in the future if it is needed. However this gets Apple off the ground with a system that cuts a very wide swath as far as usefullness goes. NFC is no where near as flexible.

Honestly I see very high adoption rates for this technology as long as the documents are standardized and open. That is pkpass would need to be supported on platforms other than iOS. Even without that support though there is little to keep vendors from saying yes to the tech, of it indeed works well with existing technology. For example I can see optical scanners having no problems with this tech, laser based scanners might be another issue. That is would a laser actually be able to see the bar codes on an LCD properly. I don't know, probably should try this at work. If the system can offer the use of existing infra structure as suggested I can see rapid acceptance.

You have to admit this is a very innovative approach to the old chicken and egg question. It beats NFC simply by saying new hardware isn't required. Not to knock the naysayers but this is something uniquely Apple, looking at a problem and coming up with a simple solution that doesn't fit into the common mold.
    rot'napple wrote: »
    National Finals Rodeo, No.  

Near Field Rapport!  

Okay, okay.  NFC.
    /
    /
  • Reply 22 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yeah Near Field Communications, frankly I don't see any problem for Apple in adding NFC to the platform in the future if it is needed. However this gets Apple off the ground with a system that cuts a very wide swath as far as usefullness goes. NFC is no where near as flexible.

Honestly I see very high adoption rates for this technology as long as the documents are standardized and open. That is pkpass would need to be supported on platforms other than iOS. Even without that support though there is little to keep vendors from saying yes to the tech, of it indeed works well with existing technology. For example I can see optical scanners having no problems with this tech, laser based scanners might be another issue. That is would a laser actually be able to see the bar codes on an LCD properly. I don't know, probably should try this at work. If the system can offer the use of existing infra structure as suggested I can see rapid acceptance.

You have to admit this is a very innovative approach to the old chicken and egg question. It beats NFC simply by saying new hardware isn't required. Not to knock the naysayers but this is something uniquely Apple, looking at a problem and coming up with a simple solution that doesn't fit into the common mold.

100% correct.  Mass adoption on day 1, no additional hardware for consumers OR retailers, and it'll work all the way back to the 3GS.  In other words, millions of users.  Very shrewd.

• Reply 23 of 26

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

…it'll work all the way back to the 3GS.  In other words, millions of users.  Very shrewd.

… Hopefully. But I wouldn't bet it works with anything but Bluetooth 4.0. So just the 4S… 

• Reply 24 of 26
    solipsismx wrote: »
    There is a benefit to NFC in that there is an inherent security. Imagine if you wanted to make a payment would you want to access the app, input an amount which generates a barcode, which you then let someone scan? How would that work for a secure payment? The only way I can think of is if the barcode you generate is sent to a server with an expiration date and then when you scan it in it's sent to a server for verification that you just generated it. I'd think NFC payments are much easier. No need to do anything but input a PIN (if you have it locked) and perhaps choose which card you wish to pay with.

Usually such transactional systems base the authenticity of the transaction on cryptography, with each transaction generating a completely different output according to a random seed (also known as a key, because symmetric ciphers are really just big random number generators) only known by the client and host applications, so copying a transaction request is worthless as you can neither read the content (thus rendering you unable to manipulate it) nor re-use it.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Could Passbook ever take the place of NFR for buying most things?  Of is Passbook a stop gap until NFR gets its act together with regards to standards, security, and whatever other issue there may be?

/

/

yes, no new equipment and software to buy since anyone who has an app like this has already invested $$$ into it

• Reply 26 of 26
    bobbellbobbell Posts: 2member

I like iphone and i have used iphone for many years.I am having trouble to add my self created passbook pass.pkpass package to the passbook app.

I can open the package and it shows on the iPhone device, but when i press add to add this pass to the passbook app it is not working.

The log tells me:

Invalid data reading pass xxx. Signature must contain a signing date.

Whats wrong here during pass creation / signing ?

There is definitely something wrong with my new pass type id certificate uploaded because with the old one it was working ?