Apple design chief Jony Ive buys $17M San Francisco home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was reported on Monday that Apple Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jony Ive purchased a posh $17 million home on San Francisco's "Gold Coast," an upscale section of the city's hilly Pacific Heights neighborhood.

According to people familiar with the purchase, the house sits on one of the most exclusive blocks in San Francisco and was originally listed for $25 million, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Ive house
Jony Ive's new San Francisco home, via The Wall Street Journal.

The brick home, built in 1927 and designed by Willis Polk & Co., spreads 7,274 square feet over five levels, boasts six bedrooms, eight full bathrooms plus one half bath, an oak-paneled library, courtyard garden and six fireplaces. Of the six bedrooms, an upstairs unit sports a vaulted ceiling with exposed framework, while a two-bedroom, one bath staff apartment is located on the house's lower level.

Ive, who has been living in San Francisco with his wife and children, will be joining the likes of author Danielle Steel, who owns the 55-room Pacific Heights landmark Spreckels Mansion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    It looks lovely... and if anyone deserves it, it's Jony Ive!

David
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Phew - dispels 'the moving back to England' rumour thankfully
  • Reply 3 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What's the opposite of "There goes the neighborhood . . ."?

Edit: On further thought, inspiration is a very precious thing. Isn't this what Jobs, Apple, Ive, San Francisco, the winds off the Pacific, have been for a generation or so now?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    @marvin: so you can invite lots of friends over!

Also... I thought Ive was gay?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    That's gonna be a shitty commute to Palo Alto haha
  • Reply 7 of 26

How do you know what house it is Marvin?

• Reply 8 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Er, the guy has been married for 25 years and has two sons. If he's gay he's been faking it for a long time. ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 26

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You're thinking about the rumors about Tim Cook, stated once, never proven or refuted, repeated everywhere.

• Reply 10 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator

I guess so. He can host fairly big parties and with 8.5 bathrooms, no queuing needed.

Nope, married with kids. He just has an effeminate accent. That's just a design thing though - same in the fashion world.
    s!ke wrote:

I was thinking the same but it looks like it's only about 40 miles out. It could be an hour each way but it's not like he has a lot of work to do. He just phones Nishibori and asks him for the design then spends the rest of the day in the gym. His studio is off-limits to most people at Apple so nobody can check up on him watching TV.
    s!ke wrote:
    How do you know what house it is Marvin?

Those are photos posted by other blogs.
  • Reply 11 of 26

Don't confuse gay with homosexual or metrosexual.
  • Reply 12 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was thinking the same but it looks like it's only about 40 miles out. It could be an hour each way but it's not like he has a lot of work to do. He just phones Nishibori and asks him for the design then spends the rest of the day in the gym. His studio is off-limits to most people at Apple so nobody can check up on him watching TV.

Trust me it is. 101 south is a b!tch... but, he probably just goes in once a week for an hour at around 1pm. Or maybe he has a private helicoptor. HAHA

• Reply 13 of 26
    He's stripping all the walls and painting them white.
  • Reply 14 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by s!ke View Post

Ive has already lived in San Francisco for many years, so he's used to the commute. Driving an Aston Martin to work cushions that particular blow nicely.

No need for him to take US 101, either: Interstate 280 is much more direct to Cupertino and has less traffic.

• Reply 15 of 26
    Why does he need a house... Get back to work, Jony! (just kidding, of course)

The house doesn't really seem to fit into the minimalist, modern aesthetic, does it? More like a party house.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Neighbors down the street include Larry Ellison (his SF abode) and Gordon Getty.
  • Reply 17 of 26

Pincus of Synga bought a place a block down the street too.

• Reply 18 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're thinking about the rumors about Tim Cook, stated once, never proven or refuted, repeated everywhere.

He can't refute it. If he did, he would be called a liar. Just like Steve, Tim cares more about making money than taking a stand on social issues.

Meet Apple’s New Boss, The Most Powerful Gay Man in Silicon Valley

It looks increasingly like Steve Jobs' reign at Apple is over. If the CEO doesn't return from his third, indefinite medical leave, COO Tim Cook will succeed him, marking a new era not only for Apple but for gay progress.

Romantic interests: After Cook was profiled as a "lifelong bachelor" and "intensely private" elsewhere, we wondered if he might be gay. We've since heard from two well-placed sources that this is indeed the case, and it sounds like Cook's sexual orientation has been the topic of at least some discussion within the company. One tech executive who has spoken to multiple Apple management veterans about Cook was told executives there would support Cook if he publicly acknowledged his orientation, and even would encourage him to do so as he steps up his leadership role, but that they also had concerns about whether his coming out would impact the perception of the Apple brand.

http://gawker.com/5736917/meet-apples-new-boss-the-most-powerful-gay-man-in-silicon-valley

Media on Apple CEO Tim Cook's Sexuality: 'Come Out, Come Out...'

Like it or not, Tim Cook has been outed.

Out Magazine placed Cook atop its annual list of the most powerful gays and lesbians. Cook, a man who’s often described as “intensely private,” didn’t show up for the photo shoot.

“Cook is one of those at the high levels who is afraid to publicly confirm his homosexuality," Jackson writes. "And he won't be a role model for the LGBT community until he confirms the rumors and comes out of the glass closet he is assumed to be living in.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/25/idUS422760388920110825

• Reply 19 of 26

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

He can't refute it. If he did, he would be called a liar.

I'm sorry, people aren't in charge of their sexuality? So I'm gay if I'm told I'm gay? That has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard.

• Reply 20 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm sorry, people aren't in charge of their sexuality? So I'm gay if I'm told I'm gay? That has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard.

Tim would be called a liar by the straight and gay people that know him. That's why he'll never deny being gay.

Now, you have been labeled many things by many people, but you still refuse to accept it. Where's your pride? You certainly don't have any dignity left.