Reporter allegedly goes undercover at 'iPhone 5' factory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33

I find the timing of this alleged report suspicious as hell. 

• Reply 22 of 33
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 23 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

1. No iPhone to date has had any paint on it at all. Apple would use a different surface treatment for durability.

Wasn't the white iphone delayed because they couldn't get the paint right for the glass?

• Reply 24 of 33
    Actually, in virtually all the studies done, in productivity dollar for dollar, the American manufacturing worker is on par with china. Most of this is due to the utilization of automation. Here, those 4 assembly lines would be 1 line of robots building 6-8 parts at a time. The biggest cost savings in Chinese manufacturing are:
    1. No pesky expensive environmental controls.
    And
    2. Factory layout and reconfiguration.

It's easy to move folding tables around.
  • Reply 25 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I seriously hope this isn't a Chinese version of Mike Daisey

Perhaps if he ate KFC's "Double-Down" fried meatwich every day, he could.

• Reply 26 of 33
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Wasn't the white iphone delayed because they couldn't get the paint right for the glass?

Well, I was referring to paint on the outside. You might be correct on that one but if so it's on the inside of the glass. This report talks about masking the outside (including the connector ports), which, to me, sounds like someone speculating on how things are done based on their own non-production experiences.

The first thing an (exterior) painted iPhone would do when you slide it into a pocket with other objects is get scratched, and that simply isn't the way high-end CE devices are finished.

• Reply 27 of 33

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Perhaps if he ate KFC's "Double-Down" fried meatwich every day, he could.

That would improve security, too.

• Reply 28 of 33
    If this turns out to be true, it is a shame.

Although, It's the popularity and secrecy wrapped around apple that has us so invested. Right now I'm sure there are tons of stuff in everyones homes that have been made in similar or worse conditions, yet we don't know or care how or where they are produced.

I'm looking at my toaster oven, microwave, George Forman grill, tv, Xbox, ps3, coffee maker, exercise equipment.

I don't know where or how any of these are made. I'm sure at least one of them have questionable pruduction lines.

I'm not justifying these bad working conditions, I am only stating that if it bothers us so to hear this, we should do a clean sweep of all out beloved devises and appliances.
  • Reply 29 of 33

The article is a complete fabrication, and a fairly poor attempt at doing so.

In the original article (in Chinese), the reporter was assigned to put "protective paint" over "4 electric contacts of 1mm by 1mm each" with a felt pen. Not to mention the new iPhone connector having 9 pins instead of 4, does anyone in their right mind actually believe that apple would paint these back plates AFTER assembling the iPhones? There are numerous other errors in the article but being actually from Hong Kong I can tell you this is typical of the level of journalism in mainland China. There is nothing to see here, folks.

In case anyone is curious here, put the text below into google translate and you will see what I meant.

????“???”???????????????1??????????????????

• Reply 30 of 33
    philboogie wrote: »

Given the lack of photos etc, it's hard to take this as fact.

So he could be
  • Reply 31 of 33
    elppa12 wrote: »
    I find the timing of this alleged report suspicious as hell. And as such, not credible.

Yeah releasing this on the day the iPhone is being announced. Total coincidence, not
  • Reply 32 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not quite. Reading the source article myself I felt like reading a Chinese version of Weekly World News.

• Reply 33 of 33
    There are many types of [url=http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Gold-Metal-Detectors/]cheap gold detectors sale[/url] in the market, so it is really hard to make a decision which one to buy and whee to buy. I searched the internet for a long time and then I bought a gold metal detector, which is really helpful. And when I do metal detecting outside it can really distinguish what kind of the metal that it has detected and give an indication for me. And by using such kind of device I have saved a lot of time and energy. In a word, I love the gold metal detector and have confidence in it.