Average price of iOS device cables to rise 84% with new 9-pin design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have never had to buy an iOS device cable... the ones that come in the box work just fine. This is a non issue for me, and I imagine it's a non issue for most everyone else.

You are very lucky then. Apples dock cables have been crap for me. I literally had one fall apart a few months after the devices purchase. These are cables that have seen little abuse. In reality they are fairly pathetic as cables go.
  • Reply 22 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

I'm still regularly using a 30 pin connector that's nearly 7 years old (yes, the one you need to pinch to release).  That's pretty robust in my book!

I also have one of these in perfect condition. But the new, shorter and no pinch release are cheaper than these. Sleeve has torn apart from 30 connector in no time. It still works fine, but I have been very careful with it since this happens. 

• Reply 23 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The new connector must be faster, or at least have greater power draw, right? I don't think they would change it without improving the specs at the same time. The iPad 3 charges very slowly and a lot of data transfer is HD these days.

I don't believe the charging rate is determined by the cable.  It might be faster as I have seen speculation it is USB 3.

The chip would seem to be a sign of Tim Cook at work.  I am so glad I haven't bought into the iOS ecosystem and the iGreed it entails.  Gives me for funds to buy Macs.

Yeah... That so-called "iGreed" that allows you to carry around a $200-$500 iDevice that is many times more powerful than a $2,000 computer from a few years back...

BTW, I have a few SCSI cables from last decade that cost about $300 each in today's dollars.

• Reply 24 of 32
    "In addition, Kuo revealed that each cable will be embedded with a detector integrated circuit in order to counter unauthorized accessories, further adding to the cost of the cables."

Does that mean that the cable will prevent jailbreaking?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    gordy wrote: »
    Considering you can get cables from places like Meritline for around $1, an 84% increase isn’t saying much IMO.

If this detector chip thing is true you might not be able to get those cheap cables anymore.

As for the official ones, I wouldn't be shocked to see Apple not raise the price. They can eat the loss out of hardware profit, unused Apple care etc
  • Reply 26 of 32

Originally Posted by master5hake View Post

"In addition, Kuo revealed that each cable will be embedded with a detector integrated circuit in order to counter unauthorized accessories, further adding to the cost of the cables."

No. How? What do accessories have to do with that?

• Reply 27 of 32

Is jailbreaking an accessory?
  • Reply 28 of 32

Quote:

The chip, if true, would be there to give Apple a revenue stream by preventing accessory manufacturers from producing more reasonably priced accessories. Tim Cook is supposedly expert at milking business systems.  iGreed, it all started with charging carriers a % of their data revenue in order to be allowed to sell the iPhone and has proceeded from there.

I think you're wrong - greed started the day man first gained consciousness.  Apple is in a tug of war with its ecosystem.  Both sides want as much of the profits as they can get.  Apple coming up with a novel solution to channel more of it to itself is no more greedy than the other end of the rope pulling as hard as they can as well.  I don't imagine you add an extra dollar to your grocery spending just out of charity, or buy the pizza specifically on the night that isn't buy-one-get-one-free because you're so generous, right?  Greed is what makes companies work harder and improve their offers.

• Reply 29 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Quote:

The chip, if true, would be there to give Apple a revenue stream by preventing accessory manufacturers from producing more reasonably priced accessories. Tim Cook is supposedly expert at milking business systems.  iGreed, it all started with charging carriers a % of their data revenue in order to be allowed to sell the iPhone and has proceeded from there.

I think you're wrong - greed started the day man first gained consciousness.  Apple is in a tug of war with its ecosystem.  Both sides want as much of the profits as they can get.  Apple coming up with a novel solution to channel more of it to itself is no more greedy than the other end of the rope pulling as hard as they can as well.  I don't imagine you add an extra dollar to your grocery spending just out of charity, or buy the pizza specifically on the night that isn't buy-one-get-one-free because you're so generous, right?  Greed is what makes companies work harder and improve their offers.

I have always been partial to Sloth... when I get around to it...

http://deadlysins.com/sins/index.htm

Click on the sin for a more in-depth review. Related topics are listed below.

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

• Reply 30 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... That so-called "iGreed" that allows you to carry around a $200-$500 iDevice that is many times more powerful than a $2,000 computer from a few years back...

BTW, I have a few SCSI cables from last decade that cost about $300 each in today's dollars.

I bought a Samsung Wave rather than an iPhone 4.  It was about  60% cheaper for the same level of quality and hardware capability.  The iPhone 4 certainly wasn't in that price range at the time.  Maybe in the US it was, but not elsewhere.

This article on the iPhone manufacturing cost gives the iPhone 4s retail prices in the UK as being between £499($800) - and £699($1120): http://tinyurl.com/96jjdtq  That's Apple charging $320 for 48 Gb of flash.  I recently bought a 32 GB class 10 Samsung micro SDHC for about €24.  Gee, I wonder why Apple doesn't put a memory card slot in their phones.

Apple can attempt to charge what they like and build into iOS as many money siphoning features as they like.  As a consumer, I just prefer to buy elsewhere.  I recently bought an iPod Touch for my daughter and thought it would be great to try out Airplay.  Stupid silly me.  Of course Apple would prevent you streaming to an iDevice!.  No, they want you to buy an Apple TV or an Airport express.

• Reply 31 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

I'm still regularly using a 30 pin connector that's nearly 7 years old (yes, the one you need to pinch to release).  That's pretty robust in my book!

Maybe the old cables where more robust, I don't remember having this problem when I was using old iPods before the iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I consider myself an abuser of tech and I can't say I've ever had that issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah, I've had Apple's cables fall apart but not after 6 months and certainly not with what I'd consider normal wear and tear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

I have never had to buy an iOS device cable... the ones that come in the box work just fine. This is a non issue for me, and I imagine it's a non issue for most everyone else.

literally all my cables (from iPhone 4),  have seen the plastic sheathing fray over time to reveal the content of the cable in less than a year. My macbook charger does that too.

Those cables doen't go any "anormal" stress, but I use the phone while it is charging.

Of all electric cables I use (usb, etc...), even old game controller cables who undergo a lot of stress, do not have this problem, it is only the Apple cables. 

I use an iphone for 2 years, so I will need to use successively something like 3 cables if I changed the cable when the sheathing opens..

And I'm not the only one to have this problem.

• Reply 32 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by luinil View Post

I use an iphone for 2 years, so I will need to use successively something like 3 cables if I changed the cable when the sheathing opens..

And I'm not the only one to have this problem.

Not the only one, sure, but far from a common problem.  You're doing something far outside the usual use case.  What it is there's no way for us to know, but your experience is far outside the norm.

In this crowded world where sales of iPhones are measured in 10 figures, whether you are the only one to experience a problem or not is not how we determine whether a problem is widespread.