Apple releases iTunes 10.7 with support for iOS 6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Still getting the error, but the App Store *is* showing new updates to some of my apps, except for iTunes. Interesting. 

Overloaded servers, possibly:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19553590#19553590

• Reply 22 of 32
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Overloaded servers, possibly:

I have the error too.  It isn't overloaded servers.  They didn't crash for Mountain Lion or iOS5- it was just slow and bogged down.  I doubt iTunes 10.7 is an extremely anticipated release.  ;)

• Reply 23 of 32
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

I am still running a PowerMac G5 as well! I planned on getting the iPhone 5 as my first iPhone but now I will have to wait! Hopefully they will release Retina iMacs soon. I wonder why they chose to make 10.7 Intel only instead of just waiting for the overhauled version of iTunes before making the jump to Intel only?

• Reply 24 of 32

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

I wonder why they chose to make 10.7 Intel only instead of just waiting for the overhauled version of iTunes before making the jump to Intel only?

Why should an application hold back an entire OS?

• Reply 25 of 32
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why should an application hold back an entire OS?

I am sorry I don't understand the question. I assume by OS you are talking about iOS 6. Of course if Apple wanted to they could have supported both PowerPC version of iTunes 10.7 and therefore supported compatibility with iOS 6.

• Reply 26 of 32

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

I am sorry I don't understand the question. I assume by OS you are talking about iOS 6.

GOSH DANG IT APPLE. Having both your desktop OS and your music software hit the same version number at almost the same time… 

Never mind what I said before. image

• Reply 27 of 32

Too bad they're not adding or fixing real functionality, like the totally stupid way iTunes handles changing the location of your iTunes library, the inability to custom sort albums that share a release year (it's always alpha by title), and of course the eternal lack of FLAC support.

• Reply 28 of 32

Originally Posted by radian View Post

…the totally stupid way iTunes handles changing the location of your iTunes library…

Everything together. How stupid.

…inability to custom sort albums that share a release year (it's always alpha by title)… 

Not sure what you mean.

, and of course the eternal lack of FLAC support.

Forget FLAC. ALAC. Metadata. Not that hard to change your stuff.

• Reply 29 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I have the error too.  It isn't overloaded servers.  They didn't crash for Mountain Lion or iOS5- it was just slow and bogged down.  I doubt iTunes 10.7 is an extremely anticipated release.  ;)

All is well now.   :)

• Reply 30 of 32

Quote:

Everything together. How stupid.

Not sure what you mean.

Every other program I have that maintains a "library" or similar thing only requires you change the directory name to the new location of the library. Just move it, then change the prefix and you're done. iTunes reimports and copies hundreds of megabytes from old to new. That is indeed monumentally stupid. It wastes incredible amounts of time and requires you have double your library in available space if on the same disk. Not only that, it doesn't actually import everything. PDFs are ignored and must be manually added to your new library. Existing podcasts get severed from their feed. Videos lose metadata which must be readded manually. Basically, it doesn't result in the new being an exact copy of the old without many hours of manual intervention on top of the importation time

I don't see a Release Date field in iTunes Info pane, only a Year field, which can only be a 4-digit numeric value. You can't even enter "1999a" or somesuch. Not only that, the only option I'm given (upper left popup menu) for sorting albums is by "Year/Name", "Name", and "Year".

• Reply 31 of 32

Originally Posted by randian View Post

Every other program I have that maintains a "library" or similar thing only requires you change the directory name to the new location of the library. Just move it, then change the prefix and you're done. iTunes reimports and copies hundreds of megabytes from old to new. That is indeed monumentally stupid. It wastes incredible amounts of time and requires you have double your library in available space if on the same disk.

I have absolutely no idea why you wouldn't want everything in the same place. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Having said that, Menu Bar/iTunes/Preferences/Advanced, untick this.

Don't complain, then, when iTunes cannot play the media that continues to show up in the Library if you move or delete it.

• Reply 32 of 32

Quote:

I have absolutely no idea why you wouldn't want everything in the same place. That just doesn't make sense to me.

That's because you didn't understand what I was saying. Let's say you have an iTunes library in /foo/bar. You want to relocate it to /foo/baz. In a sane world, you would just "mv /foo/bar /foo/baz" (or the equivalent in Finder), then point iTunes to /foo/baz. That's it, you're done. Instead, you must create /foo/baz, then import /foo/bar into it. That's beyond stupid. It gets even stupider when you consider that, as I said before, iTunes doesn't import everything.