Apple highlights invention behind iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

I disagree with you.  Edges are weakest area if we talk about glass.  Even if it is covered with film, it is highly likely to be exposed as there is no perfect fit film at the moment.

Unless it's covered with rubber on the corners, it's going to be damaged in some way.

• Reply 22 of 54

You know, with that extra length, I wish that they would add an extra row to they keyboard so that we could have easy access to numbers...

• Reply 23 of 54
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    hjb wrote: »
    Still, if iPhone 5 is dropped less than 45 degree front facing downwards, the edges are exposed.

Once again, where is the 4 better here? There is much more glass exposed on the 4 than the 5...
  • Reply 24 of 54
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Still, if iPhone 5 is dropped less than 45 degree front facing downwards, the edges are exposed.

I don't understand this whole conversation at all. On the 4 and 4S the entire edge of the glass exposed (plastic rim does nothing) while on the 5 all of the glass is inlaid completely within the unibody. The 5 would clearly be much more robust. Also, the almost full back on the unibody (as opposed to just an outer ring of metal) would be MUCH stronger and less prone to torsion and deflection. Again, the 5 is much better engineered. Perhaps you're mistaking the shiny 45° chamfered edge of the metal for glass. That's metal, not glass.

• Reply 25 of 54
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

I suggest you to apply Invisible Shield from Zagg (maximum protection) to iPhone5, when they come out.  It also provides better grip.

Thanks. I don't know what I didn't think of that! (honestly didn't think of it). Hopefully a shield will adhere well to the textured metal. Still... I do rather like the look of the aluminum on the while iPhone. Not crazy about the white maybe... but I like the raw bead-blasted aluminum look better than the anodized black metal.

• Reply 26 of 54

Quote:

Sorry, I like iPhone 4s better designwise. iPhone 5 does not have protective edges covering front glass, when would Apple learn?

looks like iPhone 4 is going to be my last Apple phone. 

• Reply 27 of 54

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

looks like iPhone 4 is going to be my last Apple phone. 

Good. One less troll to deal with.

• Reply 28 of 54
    I enjoy this topic. I wish Apple( and others) would highlight their inventions more often. Some of the things these companies engineer are fascinating and are something to behold.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Thanks. I don't know what I didn't think of that! (honestly didn't think of it). Hopefully a shield will adhere well to the textured metal. Still... I do rather like the look of the aluminum on the while iPhone. Not crazy about the white maybe... but I like the raw bead-blasted aluminum look better than the anodized black metal.

I have Galaxy Nexus with Invisible Shield Maximum Protection.  You know that Galaxy Nexus has plastic back cover, but the film went well with it.  I think it would be ok to the metal back.  See the installation guide on the web and take your time when you apply it.  Agree with you, I also hoped iPhone 5 with aluminum back in November last year before I bought my Nexus.

• Reply 30 of 54

I love how Samsung said their design is inspired by nature and made for humans, did they ever explain their build process? You know, the precision that goes into building their devices? Or did they just throw out fluffy words?

• Reply 31 of 54
    Good. One less troll to deal with.

Yeah. Not everyone can appreciate what goes into designing these products. I love to read about the manufacturing processes involved in designing these things.

Also, Apple marches to the beat of its own drum. People see what the market is doing and are put off when Apple doesn't attempt to mimic their competitors. Personally, I love Apple's approach. They aren't afraid to blaze a new trail. Market research, why bother?
  • Reply 32 of 54

Quote:

I wonder if we should be concerned about scratches in the black version (for those who don't use a case). Nice thing about the glass sandwich design was that the aluminum band could still be raw aluminum and always look good. I'm thinking the back of the black iPhone will look pretty horrible after it's spent a year or so living in a pocket. I might get the while one instead.

If you look at the image in the picture, the black is pre anodized while they are polishing it. 

I would think that would show that it would be pretty resistant to scratches. 

• Reply 33 of 54

Quote:

I don't understand this whole conversation at all. On the 4 and 4S the entire edge of the glass exposed (plastic rim does nothing) while on the 5 all of the glass is inlaid completely within the unibody. The 5 would clearly be much more robust. Also, the almost full back on the unibody (as opposed to just an outer ring of metal) would be MUCH stronger and less prone to torsion and deflection. Again, the 5 is much better engineered. Perhaps you're mistaking the shiny 45° chamfered edge of the metal for glass. That's metal, not glass.

FINALLY!!! 

I was wondering when someone would point this out. 

• Reply 34 of 54
    postulant wrote: »
    I enjoy this topic. I wish Apple( and others) would highlight their inventions more often. Some of the things these companies engineer are fascinating and are something to behold.

I completely agree. You look at the phone and it looks nice and is thinner but you can't really tell how much work, unique design and new technology went into being able to make such a device. I find these sorts of things fascinating.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Queue all the trolls, slobbering like inbred monkeys about how this simply a 'stretched' iPhone 4S, and how Apple got 'lazy' and 'didn't bother changing anything', then point to some oversized piece of Android garbage phone surrounded by shitty plastic as an example of innovative design. 

It's clear a shitload of R&D went into this, as well as a meticulous amount of thought. engineering, and design. Yes, the shape is generally the same, which was a conscious design decision. Just like the new Retina Macbook Pros.  But that's it. The entire phone is remade from the ground up, both internally and externally, with alot of deep thought and care. Entirely new production techniques had to be thought up and perfected to create the phone. How many other phones can you say that about? This is a completely new phone, end of story. There's nothing lazy about it. The fact that they decided to retain some of the iconic design language changes none of that. 

• Reply 36 of 54
    hjb wrote: »
    Sorry, I like iPhone 4s better designwise. iPhone 5 does not have protective edges covering front glass, when would Apple learn?

Those aren't protective edges covering the glass in 4/4S- It is the glass! With the glass inlaid in the IP5 (meaning it doesn't protrude above the metal band) glass strength is significantly enhanced because when impacted, the glass has no where to go to expand, thus crack. Try placing an egg in a ring, or pipe where it sticks out half way. Then beat on the top of the egg with a hammer. The egg won't break because the sides are supported by the ring or pipe it is resting in. Same with glass on IP5. Since it rests in the unibody casing, the glass can't expand to crack very easily. Thus, the IP5 glass should be considerably stronger and damage resistant.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    I'm feeling a little underwhelmed, and I'm an Apple fanboy. I don't want/need a longer iPhone, the 4s I have is the right size. I knew last year that the 4s would be an interim upgrade. I didn't expect iPhone5 to feel like an interim upgrade too though.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

What plastic rim are you talking about there is no plastic just glass and metal !
  • Reply 39 of 54
    "Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display," - well, notice it for a few seconds at least before you wrap it in a leather pouch or a rubber bumper case or similar so that the beauty that you can no longer appreciate is well protected.

Ah well ...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display," - well, notice it for a few seconds at least before you wrap it in a leather pouch or a rubber bumper case or similar so that the beauty that you can no longer appreciate is well protected.

Ah well ...

No matter what brand smartphone I owned I would have it in a pouch or case of some kind. Actually, my preference is the foof case, textile lined with sheepswool. I put my naked iPhone in that and take it out when in use and can enjoy the design in it's original glory.