Sharp reportedly starts shipping iPhone 5 displays to Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After issues with production, Japanese electronics manufacturer Sharp has reportedly only now begun shipping displays bound for iPhone 5 assembly, with the news coming on the same day of the handset's unveiling.

Sharp was behind schedule when its president announced in early August that it would be shipping out the screens later that month, and an inside source claims the company started mass production earlier this week, reports The Wall Street Journal.

In late August, sources said the display maker was experiencing "manufacturing difficulties," though the exact nature of problem was not revealed.

iPhone 5

The new iPhone 5 utilizes new in-cell technology which integrates a screen's touch sensors within the LCD array.

Augmented by Sharp's shipments, Apple should be in a better position to supply what is expected to be strong demand for the iPhone 5. The Japanese company joins LG Display and the newly-formed Japan Display Inc., a venture from the display arms of Sony and Hitachi, in supplying the vital components.

Pre-orders of the new handset are slated to begin on Friday, Sept 14, followed by a rollout a week later on Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    That sounds like good news! I won't be able to pre-order mine until next Wednesday, and hopefully I'll be able to get one. Though I fear the first round of pre-orders will be sold out by then.
  • Reply 2 of 9

This is a ridiculous story.  OK, think about it.  Would Apple commit to a Sept 21st shipping date and hold a Global iPhone 5 Event without knowing the status of suppliers/parts?  I'm sure there are millions of iPhone 5s sitting in a US warehouse as we speak.   

• Reply 3 of 9
    Now that the iPhone has a corrected screen ratio will the iPad's follow to a corrected widescreen ratio too?
  • Reply 4 of 9

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Now that the iPhone has a corrected screen ratio will the iPad's follow to a corrected widescreen ratio too?

There's nothing "correct" about a 16:9 screen for tablet purposes.

• Reply 5 of 9
    ]
    There's nothing "correct" about a 16:9 screen for tablet purposes.

But then why all of a sudden for a 5 year old product , the iPhone to switch?
    Did Apple alll of a sudden deem the original sizing wrong?
    Why didn't it increase proportionately wide? Our thumbs can handle a button slightly over.
    Was it to differentiate itself from a Samsung so as not to copy its proportions? Very odd to change the screen proportions just in length to grow the product line.
  • Reply 6 of 9

Why didn't it increase proportionately wide? Our thumbs can handle a button slightly over.

I think they covered why they didn't do that pretty darn well. 

• Reply 7 of 9

Well it will be interesting to read hand on reviews as it looks too long especially for pants pockets.
    A better sizing would have been to remove the home button and keep the exact size footprint we currently have. but I will wait to read reviews on its ergonomics. Hold your current iPhone and try to reach for another row of icons and tell me that's not uncomfortable.
  • Reply 8 of 9

Hold your current iPhone and try to reach for another row of icons and tell me that's not uncomfortable.

That's not uncomfortable. I'm 6'2".

• Reply 9 of 9
    isheldon wrote: »

Well it will be interesting to read hand on reviews as it looks too long especially for pants pockets.
    A better sizing would have been to remove the home button and keep the exact size footprint we currently have. but I will wait to read reviews on its ergonomics. Hold your current iPhone and try to reach for another row of icons and tell me that's not uncomfortable.

The New iPhone is hardly taller than current models, which is a nice surprise. But to claim "A better sizing would have been to remove the home button..." is, em, odd. You need to realise there's other stuff in the phone behind the display.

You think beauty is only skin deep? Look through things, don't take things at face value.