Apple iOS 6 GM brings improvements to Maps app, adds Flyover for New York and others

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I prefer my Prius nav system over TomTom. Prius says "next right" when a turn is coming up. TomTom tells you the number of yards/feet to the turn instead and sometimes TomTom's calculated distance is wrong and I go right past the turn. "Next right/left" is a much better method for turn by turn.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    is there really a correlation between ios releases and the amount of data that is available as 3d flyover? or is that jut coincidence during the beta cycle? does apple really need to release an ios update to make additional maps data available as 3d flyover? if so that seems to be a very inefficient process.
  • Reply 23 of 31

Wouldn't it be great if a company like Google were to write a competing app for the iPhone?

Don't they have some kind of map service thing?  

Of course, they'd have to put turn-by-turn directions into the app to make it competitive.

• Reply 24 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You can see a station is there but you don't know which one it is. You don't know if it's the one you want or whether it's on the right line that you need to get home.

If you're in central London, there's likely to be multiple stations on the same map. You have to click on each icon in turn to find the one you want. It's a major usability failure.

Or you could, you know ... take your eyes off the phone for one second (!) ... and look at the map provided in every tram car and in every station, or look at the signs posted in every station as you go through, or listen to the voice announcements of the station names over the PA, or, or ...

• Reply 25 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

This seems cool, except it will probably be years before it is mature enough to be of any use to me. The good thing about Streetview is that Google has it almost everywhere by now,

Indeed.  Apple is being kind of vague about what's supported and where and when it will be supported as well.  

Officially, no 3D buildings and therefore no fly-over exists outside of the USA. Period. 

On the other hand, they've shown off fly-overs of London, England and Sydney, Australia.  Lots of folks in the UK are probably expecting that 3D fly-over will be available in their countries.  Whether it will or not is debatable, but it's clear that a lot of people expect it at launch already when (officially at least), it isn't going to happen.  

When you add to that the fact that *last* year's innovation (Siri) was also USA only and that Siri only becomes available to faraway places like "Canada" with iOS 6.0, it seems likely that almost all of the 3D functionality of iOS maps will only become available *next* year, with iOS 7.  

So for folks like me living in Canada, we lose street view, bus directions, walking directions and gain ... nothing.  

At least until September 2013, I guess.  :-/

• Reply 26 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Whoever captured the images was doing performance testing and downloading new apps.

Except for the 99% of the Earth's surface which isn't captured.

Actually Google has pretty good coverage of North America, Western Europe, and Australia. South America, Africa, and Asia need some work. They have a handy map you can reference: http://gmaps-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/streetview_landing/streetview-map.html

• Reply 27 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    carniphage wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if a company like Google were to write a competing app for the iPhone?
    Don't they have some kind of map service thing?  

Of course, they'd have to put turn-by-turn directions into the app to make it competitive.

Not to mention with iOS having over 90% of mobile web traffic you'd think they'd have a financial interest in doing so!
  • Reply 28 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Or you could, you know ... take your eyes off the phone for one second (!) ... and look at the map provided in every tram car and in every station, or look at the signs posted in every station as you go through, or listen to the voice announcements of the station names over the PA, or, or ...

That only works if you're inside the station. And if I'm inside the station, I don't need to know where it is (!). I'm talking about when I'm out and need to find the nearest suitable station.

• Reply 29 of 31

Rather than just moaning,  try tapping the icon for the station.

Its not a paper map.  All the text doesn't need to be shown all the time!

• Reply 30 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The new maps are still awful compared the old Google maps. :( Train and metro stations are shown as an icon, rather than display the name of the station. In a big city like London, that's a major problem. 

It also doesn't distinguish very well between footpaths and roads.

I was hoping for better from the GM.

Rather than just moaning,  try tapping the icon for the station.

Its not a paper map.  All the text doesn't need to be shown all the time!

• Reply 31 of 31
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    None of this matters if you don't have google maps.