Apple confirms discontinuation of iPhone 3GS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone 3GS has officially been discontinued by Apple, the company confirmed on Thursday, and has been replaced by the iPhone 4 as its free on-contract handset.

Some industry watchers had speculated that Apple could continue to offer the iPhone 3GS in developing markets as a contract-free device. But the company confirmed to All Things D that the iPhone 3GS is officially discontinued.

Last year, with the launch of the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 3GS became Apple's first free smartphone with a new two-year service contract in major markets like the U.S. At that price, it helped Apple reach a lower end of the market that the company had previously not competed in.

iPhone

But with Wednesday's unveiling of the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4S moved down to the $99 price point, and the iPhone 4, first released in 2010, became Apple's new free phone.

Rumors first cropped up last week that the iPhone 3GS, which was first released in 2009, would be discontinued by Apple with the launch of the iPhone 5.

While the iPhone 3GS has been discontinued, recent buyers won't be left behind with next week's launch of iOS 6. The new mobile software update, which will be released next Wednesday, has support for the iPhone 3GS, though not all features are available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    I am discontinuing mine too.....
  • Reply 2 of 47
    The 3GS can’t do everything in iOS 6. But for a 3-year-old model, we have it made compared to all the rapidly-abandoned Android devices that fail to get the current OS in even one year! They lose support before your 2-year contract is even up...

P.S. I think they need full production of display panels at that particular DPI for... some other device....
  • Reply 3 of 47

Quite the shelf-life this phone had. 

• Reply 4 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Why?

The announcement of the iPhone 5 magically makes your 3GS stop working?

• Reply 5 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Why?

It certainly makes it a POS in comparison.  :-)  

• Reply 6 of 47
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Why?

Reeer.

• Reply 7 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    unlike Android, which phones are discontinued within several months and are rarely update-able outside of the first few months, if at all.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Let us not forget the fastest product to ever be obsoleted: The Nokia Windows 7 phone.

This product, however, may lose its place in history to the Nokia Windows 8 phone which may not make it out to market... and still lacks a ship date or price.

Little known factoid: To change a Windows 8 device from one orientation mode to the other, open the settings tool and change the orientation setting, close the settings tool and you're good to go.
  • Reply 9 of 47

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So did the 4 and 4S.

• Reply 10 of 47

I still use my 3GS. Gets great reception in NYC.

My 3GS was originally on a 2 year ATT contract, but after the contract expired I got it unlocked and moved it over to T-Mobile.

Great phone. Upgraded it to iOS 5 and it still works well.

I think I still be using it 2 years from now.

Apple supported this product (and all their products) for a long time.

• Reply 11 of 47

That has got to be the most uninformed opinion I've read in a while - why so much hate? The new Nokia phones are quite impressive and best the iPhone 5 in many respects based on specs alone.

It was just announced the older phones will get an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 and will not be left behind. The new phones have no release date yet, but the carriers are already prepping for release.

• Reply 12 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Little known factoid: To change a Windows 8 device from one orientation mode to the other, open the settings tool and change the orientation setting, close the settings tool and you're good to go.

That's so funny, I hope it is true. :)

• Reply 13 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelh View Post

That's so funny, I hope it is true. :)

It's untrue.

• Reply 14 of 47

Originally Posted by FruityCyclops View Post

It was just announced the older phones will get an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 and will not be left behind.

Which ones? And they're certainly still being left behind; they're not getting WP8.

Originally Posted by FruityCyclops View Post

It's untrue.

Yes, it was a joke.

• Reply 15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which ones? And they're certainly still being left behind; they're not getting WP8.

Yes, it was a joke.

All of the WP7 Lumia phones. Actually, I don't think it was a joke, but we'll let the author of the misinformation speak for him/herself.

• Reply 16 of 47
    I had kind of hoped that Apple would have kept it around at a lower price in developing markets to gain market share. But perhaps Apple is thinking that the iPod Touch is the better way to attract people to the ecosystem at a lower price. Plus, I'm sure there will be plenty of used iPhones sold at discounted prices around the world, which can also help expand the user base.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Quote:

Why?

What a troll response...I have had it 2 1/2 years and would like a new one.  You still using the original iPhone or something? (some people actually do by the way)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yup, time to upgrade while I can still get a decent price for it to go toward a new one.  I could understand his comment if I was retiring a 4S but a 3GS???  Why not??

• Reply 18 of 47

Also APPLE increased the Unlocked base line Price! AI can you report this in your article at all?

iPhone 3GS - 8GB - $375

iPhone 4 - 8GB - $450

iPod Touch at $299 darn good.

Personally I am waiting for all the new products to be released:

iPad Mini (may be in colors like iPod Touch)

Retina 13" MBP

iMac

I am plan on getting one of these product, so gotta wait.

• Reply 19 of 47
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    That has got to be the most uninformed opinion I've read in a while - why so much hate? The new Nokia phones are quite impressive and best the iPhone 5 in many respects based on specs alone.

It was just announced the older phones will get an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 and will not be left behind. The new phones have no release date yet, but the carriers are already prepping for release.

Sure on specs alone it does best the iPhone. (Not sure which ones off the top of my head). How does it compare in reality. Lets wait until it is a real shipping product and compare it. The iPhone wins on two major fronts. It has a release date and a price.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    icoco3 wrote: »

What a troll response...I have had it 2 1/2 years and would like a new one.  You still using the original iPhone or something? (some people actually do by the way)

Yup, time to upgrade while I can still get a decent price for it to go toward a new one.  I could understand his comment if I was retiring a 4S but a 3GS???  Why not??

It really was bizarre. Android users regularly upgrade hardware just so they can get last years OS upgrade. Upgrading your 2.5 year old phone seems reasonable.