Apple adds new "Limit Ad Tracking" feature to iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You've totally lost it. Your post is contrary to reality on so many levels that it's sad.

Then be a gentleman and point out how I'm wrong....
  • Reply 22 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Then be a gentleman and point out how I'm wrong....

Well, just to start, no one was advocating a "pay per site internet" silently or otherwise. That the Internet can be only free with targeted ads and tracking or "pay per site" is a false dichotomy that exists only in your mind. Then, you seem entirely clueless, especially in the current context, as to why so many people, more and more every day, despise Google. Hint: It has nothing to do with Google copying the iPhone and everything to do with Google violating their privacy on a regular basis. Lastly, you seem to have completely lost sight of the point in your denial of copying. It doesn't matter whether Apple owns touch screens or not, Google still copied them, Android is still a copy or iOS, and everyone knows it is.

• Reply 23 of 69
    Well, just to start, no one was advocating a "pay per site internet" silently or otherwise. That the Internet can be only free with targeted ads and tracking or "pay per site" is a false dichotomy that exists only in your mind. Then, you seem entirely clueless, especially in the current context, as to why so many people, more and more every day, despise Google. Hint: It has nothing to do with Google copying the iPhone and everything to do with Google violating their privacy on a regular basis. Lastly, you seem to have completely lost sight of the point in your denial of copying. It doesn't matter whether Apple owns touch screens or not, Google still copied them, Android is still a copy or iOS, and everyone knows it is.

you can not copy the concept of a damn touchscreen OS...period...and if you are suggesting such, then you are suggesting Apple copied the concept of personal computing.

you cannot copy the idea of using icons in said touchscreen OS, to do so you are suggesting Apple copied the idea of using icons on a mobile phone.

you cannot copy using capacitive screens which enable multiple points input, to do so you are erroneously suggesting Apple had any part in inventing that tech.

you cannot copy any of that.

Point by point show me HOW Android is in any way a copy of iOS without using a single argument that can be throw right back at you.

Your company stole the damn notification panel from Android straight up with minor alterations and additions yet that's OKAY...but a company realizing that Apple was on to something and ushered in a new era of mobile computing and thereby following through the door Apple opened is somehow doing something ungodly.

No where in human history has one company opened a door to a new industry and ended up at the finish line alone...why should Apple have been alone in this field they matured and kickstarted? Why do they deserve a place in human history no other company has been allowed before?
  • Reply 24 of 69

The current vitriol has EVERYTHING to do with Google's place as maker of Android and other Apple competing products and little to nothing to do with "privacy" violations.

Hence why there was a gigantic stink made when it was found that Google bypassed Safari settings...yet not a word mentioned when it was pointed out that nearly everyone bypassed those same settings for the same exact reasons, some even going as far as to suggest to devs to do the same thing.

You are using a few relatively inconsequential events to justify your irrational hatred for a company that genuinely provides more services to more people for "free" than Apple does.or likely will. And that's okay...but fess up to it.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

what's copied?

Rubber banding.

Slide to unlock.

The drop down from Lisa.

• Reply 26 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I strongly disagree. Look how many people downloaded Chrome for iOS. 

I only downloaded it so I could give it one star and describe it as crap before deleting it.

• Reply 27 of 69

Quote:

would you guys prefer a pay per site type of internet?

Like Appleinsider for 19.99 a year?

Nope, that's why I let other advertisers through and just block Google.

• Reply 28 of 69

Quote:

... Point by point show me HOW Android is in any way a copy of iOS without using a single argument that can be throw right back at you. ...

Google didn't copy iOS "point by point" they copied it as a whole. Everything Google does is a copy of something.

• Reply 29 of 69
    hill60 wrote: »
    Rubber banding.

Slide to unlock.

The drop down from Lisa.

lol @ the drop down from Lisa...reach much? Show me this drop down from Lisa please so I can laugh at you more.

Rubber banding hardly, if at all...plus Apple wasn't the first to use that effect, they simply patented it...

Slide to unlock? eh, 2.3 sure I'll let you have that, 4.1? nope...4.1 specifically avoids the language of the patent.

But lol @ dropdown from lisa...if that's all you can come up with then that's sad for someone who so vehemently claims this copy shit.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Google didn't copy iOS "point by point" they copied it as a whole. Everything Google does is a copy of something.

They copied it as a whole HOW?

Explain what that means...that bullshit may impress your other circle jerk friends but how about you actually tell me something as opposed to some meaningless soundbyte.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Nope, that's why I let other advertisers through and just block Google.

Thereby enforcing my point that this is based upon your gargling Apples and not based on any real concern or reason...thank you. At least you're honest.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    I only downloaded it so I could give it one star and describe it as crap before deleting it.

Could've just mentioned to everyone you were a big baby in a lot less words.
  • Reply 33 of 69

Quote:

The current vitriol has EVERYTHING to do with Google's place as maker of Android and other Apple competing products and little to nothing to do with "privacy" violations.

Hence why there was a gigantic stink made when it was found that Google bypassed Safari settings...yet not a word mentioned when it was pointed out that nearly everyone bypassed those same settings for the same exact reasons, some even going as far as to suggest to devs to do the same thing.

You are using a few relatively inconsequential events to justify your irrational hatred for a company that genuinely provides more services to more people for "free" than Apple does.or likely will. And that's okay...but fess up to it.

No, it's because people are tired of having Google violate their privacy.

Google copying iOS and Google violating privacy (and stealing books, etc, etc.) are separate issues, all worthy of condemnation. But the real, general, growing, public dislike of Google is about privacy violation and not limited to a few "Apple fanboys".

You seem to be in some sort of panic, though, you're getting shriller by the day.

• Reply 34 of 69
    No, it's because people are tired of having Google violate their privacy.

Google copying iOS and Google violating privacy (and stealing books, etc, etc.) are separate issues, all worthy of condemnation. But the real, general, growing, public dislike of Google is about privacy violation and not limited to a few "Apple fanboys".

You seem to be in some sort of panic, though, you're getting shriller by the day.

I see you all bathe in this bullshit FUD every damn day. And people aren't getting tired of anything...because nothing is happening...you are purposefully turning molehills into mountains because you hate Google for no other reason than they compete with Apple..you use these relatively inconsequential happenings as a shield for your irrationality.

It's like someone claiming they don't like Apple because of that Foxconn BS... utterly meaningless except as an enforcer of some preexisting bias.
  • Reply 35 of 69

Quote:

Your company stole the damn notification panel from Android straight up with minor alterations and additions yet that's OKAY...but a company realizing that Apple was on to something and ushered in a new era of mobile computing and thereby following through the door Apple opened is somehow doing something ungodly.

Have you read Google's patent application?

It specifically mentions persistent icons in the status bar indicating the presence of a notification in the drop down pane.

Care to point out where Apple, which by the way is not "my company", has "stole the damn notification panel"?

Apple had drop downs since Lisa, they introduced them almost thirty years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol @ the drop down from Lisa...reach much? Show me this drop down from Lisa please so I can laugh at you more.

But lol @ dropdown from lisa...if that's all you can come up with then that's sad for someone who so vehemently claims this copy shit.

• Reply 36 of 69
    Have you read Google's patent application?

It specifically mentions persistent icons in the status bar indicating the presence of a notification in the drop down pane.

Care to point out where Apple, which by the way is not "my company", has "stole the damn notification panel"?

Apple had drop downs since Lisa, they introduced them almost thirty years ago.

drop down menu isn't drop down notification...and Apple still violates some of the claims in Google's application...but even so, I'm not speaking of violating patents (I honestly don't care that Apple adopted a rather intuitive notification method I think that is how tech should work, especially in software) I'm speaking of lifting entire concepts and making them your own...you lot like to bitch about a touchscreen OS, or icons, or a completely different and altogether more useful "slide ot unlock" then I can bring up the drop down notification panel which is more like Android's than Android's slide to unlock is like Apple's.

You can't complain about one and ignore the other.
  • Reply 37 of 69

can someone point out to me the dangers and/or negatives of ad tracking?

No. If you're as smart as you pretend to be, you can go read about the concept of privacy (which seems to be foreign to you) on your own.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How long before Google bypasses this setting.

How long after that before Apple sues them for $20 billion? image

...still waiting for you to tell me what Android copied from iOS...

You're absolutely deluded. And people wonder why I have this thing against trolls.

• Reply 38 of 69

Quote:

I see you all bathe in this bullshit FUD every damn day. And people aren't getting tired of anything...because nothing is happening...you are purposefully turning molehills into mountains because you hate Google for no other reason than they compete with Apple..you use these relatively inconsequential happenings as a shield for your irrationality.

It's like someone claiming they don't like Apple because of that Foxconn BS... utterly meaningless except as an enforcer of some preexisting bias.

As I wrote in another thread, the truth is biased, and in this case, it's biased against Google.

• Reply 39 of 69

Quote:

and Apple still violates some of the claims in Google's application..

You want to go through "point by point" and show specifically where Apple " violates some of the claims in Google's application"?

Here's something to get you started, the rest of the yet to be granted patent application is here:-

Edit fixed link (I hope)

Claims

1. A computer-implemented user notification method, comprising: displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface for a mobile device, a notification of a recent alert event for the mobile device, wherein the alert event corresponds to a change in status of an application operating on the mobile device or of an account associated with the mobile device; receiving a selection in the status area by a user of the mobile device; and in response to the receipt of the selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of alert events for the mobile device, wherein at least some of the plurality of alert events correspond to messages received by the mobile device and the detail includes text from the messages. 

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the notification is displayed in place of battery and signal elements in a status bar that comprises the status area of the graphical interface. 

3. The method of claim 2, wherein the notification comprises text that scrolls across the status bar. 

4. The method of claim 3, further comprising removing the text from the status bar after scrolling the text, and displaying in the status bar an icon that visually represents an application corresponding to the alert event. 

5. The method of claim 4, further comprising aggregating, in the status bar, a plurality of icons that are each visually representative of one or more recently received alert events. 

6. The method of claim 3, wherein the text includes textual content from the alert event. 

7. The method of claim 1, wherein the alert event corresponds to a communication from a remote server reporting a message from two or more members of a group comprising electronic mail, chat, text messaging, voice mail, and a posting of data to a shared networked data source. 

8. The method of claim 1, wherein the user selection comprises a long press on a display screen of a pointing device. 

9. The method of claim 1, wherein the display in the central zone comprises a reduced-size version of a display of an active application that was in the central zone before the user selection. 

10. The method of claim 1, wherein the display in the central zone comprises a list of messages from a plurality of messaging applications. 

11. The method of claim 1, further comprising displaying a user-manipulable slider mechanism in response to the user selection. 

12. The method of claim 11, further comprising receiving a dragging manipulation of the slider mechanism across the graphical interface, moving the slider mechanism in response to the dragging mechanism, and displaying the detail regarding the plurality of recent alert events behind the slider mechanism as it is slid across the display. 

13. A machine-readable data storage medium having instructions stored thereon that, when executed, cause one or more processors to: display, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface for a mobile device, a notification of a recent alert event for the mobile device, wherein the alert event corresponds to a change in status of an application operating on the mobile device or of an account associated with the mobile device; receive a user selection in the status area; and in response to the receipt of the user selection, display, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of alert events for the mobile device, wherein at least some of the plurality of alert events correspond to messages received by the mobile device and the detail includes text from the messages. 

14. The article of claim 13, wherein the notification comprises text describing the recent alert event and is displayed in place of battery and signal elements in a status bar of the graphical interface. 

15. The article of claim 14, wherein the instructions further cause the one or more processors to aggregate, in the status bar, a plurality of icons that are each visually representative of one or more recently received messaging events. 

16. The article of claim 13, wherein the display in the central zone comprises a list of messages from a plurality of messaging applications. 

17. The article of claim 13, wherein the instructions further comprise instructions to cause the one or more processors to receive a dragging manipulation on a touch screen display of the graphical interface, from the status area and across the display, and move the slider mechanism in response to the dragging mechanism, and display the detail regarding the plurality of recent messaging events behind the slider mechanism as it is slid across the display. 

18. A computer-implemented notification system, comprising: a wireless interface to receive data for a user of a mobile computing device; a notification manager to generate a notification message for a device event, including device events received through the wireless interface, where the notification message includes information that describes the device event; a display manager, operable with a computer processor, to generate elements for a graphical display, to receive the notification message and to present the notification message in a first zone near a perimeter of the graphical display; and an electronic input device to receive a user selection in the first zone, wherein in response to the user selection, the display manager displays, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail information regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device. 

19. The system of claim 18, wherein the display manager displays the notification message as text that scrolls in a status bar area of the graphical display. 

20. The method of claim 19, wherein the display manager is adapted to remove the text from the status bar and display in the status bar an icon that visually represents an application corresponding to the messaging event. 

21. A computer-implemented notification system, comprising: a wireless interface to receive data that includes messages for a user of a mobile device; a notification manager, operable on a computer processor, to generate a notification message for a received message that includes information that describes the message; and means for generating a display of information corresponding to the notification message on a graphical display. 

22. The system of claim 21, further comprising means for generating, in response to a user selection, a display of detail information regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device.

btw, Point 2 seems to render your claims, somewhat moot.

• Reply 40 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I strongly disagree. Look how many people downloaded Chrome for iOS. A majority of users will download the new Google maps and new YouTube from the app store. Apple previously restricted ads in YouTube and Google maps because it was a preloaded app. Now Google is free to so whatever they want with ads. This will be a huge jump in revenue for Google. Google maps and YouTube are far too ubiquitous in so many iOS users lives. Just wait and see Google Maps and YouTube hold the top download spot for months on the app store.

TechCrunch just reported Chrome on iOS has reached a whopping 2.7% share of traffic. That's not a majority. 

While people might want to download the new YouTube app, you might wait to express your judgement over Maps until you use it. 

And if you thing Google sees "huge revenues" from mobile, you need to look at their public financial statements. They make nearly nothing from all mobile combined, and most of that has been due to iOS, where it had a lock on web search, Maps and directions. Money in mobile isn't coming from ads, really. That's why the App Store is trouncing Google Play and why nobody is doing serious commercial development for Android, apart from a few recognizable games ported over at minimal effort.