Apple iPhone 5 available for pre-order, some buyers experience issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefplur View Post

You have to use Safari. Firefox & Chrome does not work right with Apple.com. But I got my 64gb black ordered in three minutes.

Chrome worked fine for me...

• Reply 42 of 72
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Now shipping in two weeks? BOO!!

• Reply 43 of 72
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedoc View Post

I'm still getting this:   o

I kept getting that until I clicked on the "Store" button again.

• Reply 44 of 72
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

You are welcome lol

Is there anyway to have your preorder shipped to another address, other than the address connected with your billing?

FWIW, when I checked out (using my Apple ID) it already had my credit card and billing address on file. It did ask me to enter a shipping address, which happens to be the same as my billing address however I do see both listed separately on my order. By the way, this was ordering through the Apple Canada store (phones are unlocked and unsubsidized).

• Reply 45 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Trying to get through to my phone company in Australia to arrange an upgrade the customer care number went into meltdown.

Twenty minutes of failed calls, line busy, technical difficulties, I got through and have been on hold for forty five minutes.

It begins again.

Samsung can only dream about scenario's like this.

• Reply 46 of 72
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Apple, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint opened up pre-orders for the iPhone 5 at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, a number of buyers reported issues in completing their transactions while others got through the process quickly and smoothly.

I got through quickly with no error messages, ordering two of the AT&T version (was required to checkout one at a time) from Apple's online store.   But I encountered a bug in the algorithm for adding accessories.  After adding an iPhone5 to the shopping cart, I was offered AppleCare+ along with some appropriate accessories.  Whatever I added next from these, though, I was then offered a bunch of irrelevant iPhone4 accessories.  Moreover, if I didn't add AppleCare+ first when it was offered, there was then no way to get it offered again without removing the iPhone5 from the shopping cart and ordering it again.  

• Reply 47 of 72
    Just ordered at 4:20AM EST.

2 WEEKS to Ship.

RATS !!!!
  • Reply 48 of 72
    I snagged myself a 16gb black 5 min after midnight. Not sure why you would spend an additional $200 for a 64gb model. With the iCloud and LTE 4G, you don't have to have your phone loaded with all those files. Luckily for me, I still have my AT&T unlimited plan. I'm not gonna give that up fir nodda.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    You wait anymore it will turn into 3 weeks in less than 30 min I bet.
  • Reply 50 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by iButterfingers View Post

You wait anymore it will turn into 3 weeks in less than 30 min I bet.

I dont think so, because i'm guessing there's almost no way that the 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb models in both black and white sold out for all 3 carriers at the same time... when I clicked my order it said shipping 9/21 and by the time i was finished my email said 2 weeks. I think it's boilerplate. Well... i hope it's boilerplate. haha

• Reply 51 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by iButterfingers View Post

I snagged myself a 16gb black 5 min after midnight. Not sure why you would spend an additional $200 for a 64gb model. With the iCloud and LTE 4G, you don't have to have your phone loaded with all those files. Luckily for me, I still have my AT&T unlimited plan. I'm not gonna give that up fir nodda.

I got a black 64gb AT&T. Why? Right off of the top photos. I have every picture my wife has taken of our family since our first daughter was born I don't want them on the cloud. Similarly, I have videos of the family. I like to have free space and the options for that is worth the $200 to me. Especially after ordering the 16gb original iPad wifi and regretting not getting at least the 32gb for two years until I picked up a 64gb Verizon black iPad 3rd gen.

• Reply 52 of 72
    I got a black 64gb AT&T. Why? Right off of the top photos. I have every picture my wife has taken of our family since our first daughter was born I don't want them on the cloud. Similarly, I have videos of the family. I like to have free space and the options for that is worth the $200 to me. Especially after ordering the 16gb original iPad wifi and regretting not getting at least the 32gb for two years until I picked up a 64gb Verizon black iPad 3rd gen.

True enough, and why my iPad is 32Gb ... I should have gotten the 64, but for the phone, 16 is plenty for me. Oh yeah....why is ram on these phones so expensive. I mean, I picked up a cruiser 64GB at best buy for $29 last month on special. Really, 48 ram memory is $200 ... Really??
  • Reply 53 of 72
    The phone will be shipped to the address on your phone bill. Need to go to your carrier's site, change your billing address to address where you want phone shipped. Once it ships, change address back to where it was before on carrier's site
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Cant buy UNLOCKED. Now how much longer will I have to wait? ????????

What should be my strategy? Open a new att contract then kill it for the unlocked price difference?

Went over to AT&T's site where they at least present the illusion they'll sell you an unlocked iPhone 5. But the execution buttons don't work. ????????
  • Reply 55 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyriddle View Post

I am getting an error saying that I am using an incorrect ATT passcode no matter where I try to order. I am unable to retrieve a passcode either. I know I am entering it correctly through.

Passcode is different than your password. It's an added level of security you'd only see if you logged onto your AT&T account page before now. Not sure what the default setting is... try the last 4 of your soc.

• Reply 56 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

What you get for the storage is staggering to me.

One iPhone photo averages 640kB for me. I have 3100 photos taking about 2GB. The extra 32 GB will get you an extra 45,000 photographs. It's hard to find one in 3000 photos, I'm not sure what to do with tens of thousands. I have 18 videos taking 0.4 GB total. These are mostly 30 second to 5 minute videos I took myself, so that's easy to expand with TV and movies.

I have a 64 GB iPad and the extra space doesn't seem to do it for me, I've left it half empty so far, and it's easy to cut back by reducing the song count.
  • Reply 57 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by remark View Post

The phone will be shipped to the address on your phone bill. Need to go to your carrier's site, change your billing address to address where you want phone shipped. Once it ships, change address back to where it was before on carrier's site

Funny thing about that: I just tried to log onto my AT&T wireless account page via the website and the iOS app, and both times it errored out with a "Please contact your service rep directly by dialing 1-888 etc or 611 from your AT&T phone." I think they've locked out any account changes for the next few hours, as that would put undue stress on their systems, which are fragile enough as it is. I think your billing address has to match that of your credit card, which in my case is my office, but the billing address for AT&T is my home address. Both show up on my order conf email, so I'm not sure where my phone will end up.

• Reply 58 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What you get for the storage is staggering to me.

One iPhone photo averages 640kB for me. I have 3100 photos taking about 2GB. The extra 32 GB will get you an extra 45,000 photographs. It's hard to find one in 3000 photos, I'm not sure what to do with tens of thousands. I have 18 videos taking 0.4 GB total. These are 30 second to 5 minute videos I took myself, so that's easy to expand with TV and movies.

I have a 64 GB iPad and the extra space doesn't seem to do it for me, I've left it half empty so far, and it's easy to cut back by reducing the song count.

I've got over 10k pictures including family and others. I can generally find what I want, however, a lot of times it is just...browsing. What can I say? I look like at my girls. I also collect comics and I have lots of comic art. I've got 3gb of video and that'll just keep going up. I just indulge myself because I've got the room. I've got lots of podcasts, about 13gb, lots of content. I don't have a ton of music, but I have all of my music with me.  When I'm driving all I listen to are podcasts and I want a wide selection.

Heck, with my iPad, I filmed the black belt ceremonies of some friends. I have to confess that I didn't think the camera of the iPad was a big deal, but I enjoy that too.

Basically, I don't want to worry about free space. I'd rather have too much stuff, but have with me what I want, than too little. I had nothing but regrets about the 16gb iPad. I was close to filling my 32gb iPhone 4. So basically, I decided, I'll get the same size for both 64 and I can keep them both in lockstep. I would not have gotten a 128gb even if it was available, but I'm pretty pleased with 64gb.

• Reply 59 of 72

Pre ordered mine (black, 32Gb) as an upgrade through the Orange UK website... had no issues with site responsiveness but it took a while for the Upgrade button to be available for the iPhone 5... for the first 20 minutes or so it just showed as Out of Stock with no option to order.

Still waiting for my confirmation email, but I seem to remember that took a few hours to arrive when I upgraded to the 4 a few years ago so I'm not worrying just yet...

• Reply 60 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Done 64GB black, $15 a month for the iPhone on top of a $60 plan, $700 calls, unlimited text, unlimited on net calls, 2GB Data.

My last 2 iPhones were 16GB and I am so sick of having to delete Apps, although the 16GB 5 would have been free.