Apple sells out of first-day delivery iPhone 5 pre-orders, now quoting 2 weeks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    I got an email from Best Buy this morning that said they would take pre-orders in store for availability Sept 21st. That may be an option for some assuming Best Buy has a reserve of devices.
  • Reply 22 of 60

I ordered 2 phones around 5:30am central time directly from Verizon.  They both said shipping by 9/21.  So happy to be done with AT&T.

• Reply 23 of 60

I just sat down at 5 am PST and my order on the Apple site went through in record time, which actually worried me. But then the last screen would not let me punch the radio button to pick up at my local ATT retailer which I thought was a glitch. Abandoned the Apple site, went to ATT and it took less than 5 minutes. 32G Black.

I'm actually relieved as a shareholder to see the stats so far.

• Reply 24 of 60
    I had no issues- ordered from Apple on my iPad at 3:20am. Order still showing 9/21 as deliver date. I did not get another email saying my shipping date has changed. Has that been common for anyone else? Fingers crossed...
  • Reply 25 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Shit!

I couldn't stay awake, and ordered 2 iP5s and 1 iP4S.  The iP5s show 2 weeks, the iP4S is 2 days.

Well... AAPL will probably be over $700 before we get the iP5s.

How strange, usually aapl drops badly after a product introduction.

Something must be wrong with the iP5. ;-)

• Reply 26 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulrich View Post

I placed my order at 3:50 this morning and was given a 2 week shipping time. If you recently placed your order I think you're out of luck for a launch day delivery (unless Apple pulls a bunch of iPhones out of their DVD drive).

I know. I just couldn't stay up or get up at 2 AM my time when I'll be up until at least that late with work tonight. It's been almost 2 hours since I got my order through and my order is still being processed.

• Reply 27 of 60

In Germany they started selling the unlocked phones on the Apple Store website at 9:15am this morning. Not a minute before.

I managed to place an order soon after for a black 16GB version. My order luckily says 9/21 delivery.

Now the delivery times are gone to 2-3 weeks for the black 16GB, and 2 weeks for all the other models.

A line was added that no more than 2 devices per order can be bought. (I highlighted that in yellow)

Yes, 679€ is what we pay it here (about 100€ is the 19% VAT). If you factor that out, Apple is ripping us off compared to the 649$ price in the US (even considereing a 8.25% Salex Tax, for say e.g., California).

• Reply 28 of 60

Order an iphone5 at 5:30 AM CT, indicated Sept delivery in email. I've been with ATT a long time. I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Reply 29 of 60

Sept 21, sorry

• Reply 30 of 60
    I had trouble ordering through the Apple Store app on my iPad. Checkout kept loading and loading and loading and loading... You get the idea.
    So, I switched over to my iMac and the order went through immediately. I got my confirmation email at 3:20 (east coast time) and my delivery date is 9/21. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    When I got online at 3:10 am ET, the Apple Store page said it was doing maintenance. I hit the reload button about 5 times and the store came up. Ordering the iPhone was done in five minutes. I also ordered an iPod Touch for the grandkid sent to a different address. The Touch will be delivered in October, the iPhone on September 21, the adapters in October.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    gtr wrote: »
    Surprised, anybody?

;-)

I am. I thought I would be able to order at 5am PT and still get first run for the 21st. I'm an American goddammit! Give me one that is going to one of the other countries! They took 'er iPhones!

I decided to cancel my order and brave the store next week for a Verizon white 32GB model.
  • Reply 33 of 60

I preordered from the Verizon website this morning and it says it will be delivered by the 21st. :)

• Reply 34 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

My carrier doesn't accept pre-orders but has said that they will have plenty in stores on the 21st... will test their claim at 9:00 AM that day lol.

You will 50th in line at 9am

• Reply 35 of 60

AT&T totally unprepared to handle the onslaught of hungry iPhone 5 customers, AGAIN! They don't even show any Apple products for sale on their Premier Business Site! It boggles the mind...

• Reply 36 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am. I thought I would be able to order at 5am PT and still get first run for the 21st. I'm an American goddammit! Give me one that is going to one of the other countries! They took 'er iPhones!

I decided to cancel my order and brave the store next week for a Verizon white 32GB model.

Why not just preorder from Verizon, they have it listed as the 21st still, and confirmed that on facebook this morning too.

• Reply 37 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    AI needs a poll option. Then we could ask all the trolls for the real reason why the shipping time has slipped.

a. Apple is artificially constraining supply to make it look like there's more demand than there really is.

b. It's just all the Apple sheep who have to run out and buy immediately and demand will fall off quickly.

c. Apple is restricting US supplies so that they can provide more for Germany as a payoff for the German courts siding with Apple against Motorola.

d. Apple is lying about the numbers.

e. Obviously, Apple has supply problems.

I wonder what the real reason is? After all, we know that it can't be high demand since it's obvious that this phone is nothing more than a spec bump.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    I'm glad I don't want one!
  • Reply 39 of 60

Maybe they ran out of launch day phones so fast because Apple's servers could actually handle the demand this time, even if AT&T's couldn't.

• Reply 40 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This just in:
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5-pre-order-sells-out-20x-faster-than-4-and-4s-further-highlighting-apples-dominance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

[QUOTE]it took 22 hours for the iPhone 4S and about 20 hours for the iPhone 4 to sell out of its pre-order, launch-day stock.

The iPhone 5 took just about 60 minutes. [/QUOTE]