Apple's Lightning port adaptors sell out, shipments pushed back 2-3 weeks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just half an hour after the iPhone 5 went up for pre-order, adaptors for Apple's new Lightning port sold out, forcing users with 30-pin compatible accessories to wait until new shipments arrive in October.

Lightning Adaptor


Both versions of Apple's new Lightning to 30-pin adaptor saw stockouts within 30 minutes of Apple initiating pre-orders on Friday, with estimated ship-by dates bumped back into next month.

Currently, there are two adaptor models available, a $39 version with a 0.2-meter cable and a $29 unit that resembles an oversized 30-pin plug.

Lightning Adaptor with Cable


Apple unveiled the smaller 9-pin Lightning connector alongside the iPhone 5 at a special event on Wednesday, with the new plug said to be a necessity in building thinner iDevices. The proprietary part is 80 percent smaller than the legacy 30-pin connector it replaces, is all-digital and can be plugged into compatible devices in any orientation.

Besides the iPhone 5, the new iPod touch and iPod nano also use the newly introduced standard.

The adaptors may be available in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, though the stock allotted to each location is not known.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    Um... didnt these always show an October release date? I ordered one the same time I preordered my 5, which was minutes after sales went live, and it was listed ship date: October.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Saw this coming and ordered a few USB cables this past Wednesday... The order tracking states that they are scheduled for delivery between the 17th - 19th. Wouldn't be surprised to see them on eBay next week!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Saw this coming and ordered a few USB cables this past Wednesday... The order tracking states that they are scheduled for delivery between the 17th - 19th. Wouldn't be surprised to see them on eBay next week!

    It's the adapters that are said to be in short supply, not the USB cables.

    Edit: Nevermind, you're right, AI is wrong. It's the USB lightning cables that are delayed, not the dock connector to lighting adapters like the headline and pictures indicate. What's up with that, AI?
  • Reply 4 of 12


    Hey no problem... mine aren't going on eBay just to be clear and a form of capitalism for things like this I hate. I just wanted two extra... one for my car and one for work. 

  • Reply 5 of 12


    There is another adapter on sale in the UK Apple Store.  A Lightning to micro USB adapter, currently showing availibility of 3 days:


     


     


  • Reply 6 of 12

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by webweasel View Post


    There is another adapter on sale in the UK Apple Store.  A Lightning to micro USB adapter, currently showing availibility of 3 days:


     


     




     


    This will only be available in Europe. This is so you can use any micro-usb based charger to charge your phone, as required by law in an attempt to reduce the massive consumption (throwing away) of chargers. The US doesn't have this requirement so Apple doesn't offer the adapter there. I'm sure 3rd parties will offer something like it eventually. I haven't seen it in Apple stores outside of Europe.

  • Reply 7 of 12


    So much for these things being overly expensive, lol.

  • Reply 8 of 12
    The ship date was already 2-3 weeks when I tried to add it to my order at 3:14...so they sold out of them 'lightning fast'. I understand the phone selling out, but not the cable, seems like that should be pretty easy to make in large volume and could have been entered into manufacturing quite a bit before the phones and ipods...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    If you check the accessories listing on the order page of iPhone 5, it says that the phone will come with the 30-pin connector adaptor (though not listed in the 'what's in the box section'). You don't have to buy another one right away.

    [http://i.imgur.com/LkmV0.png]
  • Reply 10 of 12

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post



    If you check the accessories listing on the order page of iPhone 5, it says that the phone will come with the 30-pin connector adaptor (though not listed in the 'what's in the box section'). You don't have to buy another one right away.

    [http://i.imgur.com/LkmV0.png]


    I wonder if this was regional? I don't remember seeing that on the US Apple Store site. When I tried to order the adapter at 12:04 PST, it was already showing an October delivery. Didn't bother to try to buy the adapter cable. Just hoping that I will be able to pick one up on launch day.

  • Reply 11 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,400member
    I gotta say, that 30-pin docking adapter looks like trouble. If this thing is used in any kind of dock, like an Apple iPhone 4/S dock, I can see the lightning plug getting snapped right off accidentally. Likewise if used on an old docking cable and handled the wrong way. That's a lot of bulk to put on the end of a little tab with no other means of support.

    On the other hand, I LOVE that micro USB adapter ... Just what the doctor ordered for 99% of what I plug my iPhone in for -- charging! May have to have a buddy of mine pick one of these up in the UK for me ...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I gotta say, that 30-pin docking adapter looks like trouble. If this thing is used in any kind of dock, like an Apple iPhone 4/S dock, I can see the lightning plug getting snapped right off accidentally. Likewise if used on an old docking cable and handled the wrong way. That's a lot of bulk to put on the end of a little tab with no other means of support.
    On the other hand, I LOVE that micro USB adapter ... Just what the doctor ordered for 99% of what I plug my iPhone in for -- charging! May have to have a buddy of mine pick one of these up in the UK for me ...

    Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about that too but hopefully they've made it sturdy enough.

    Has anyone seen or heard anything about an iPhone 5 dock stand? I can't find one anywhere in the Apple site. Seems odd they would t have those ready too.
Sign In or Register to comment.