Aerial photos show Apple's massive NC solar farm near completion

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by docpops View Post


    The panels are from SunPower, based in California. If you do some research on panel manufacturers these guys are making the absolute best and efficient ones on the market, if I am not mistaken.



    Do you know what they are doing for energy storage? My home system will soon pass 17 MW produced in two and three-quarter years.

  • Reply 22 of 30


    Originally Posted by DrAlexC View Post

    Wow, what are all those dark green areas off in the distance? Oh yeah forests that Apple hasn't yet cut.

    This shows full ignorance of the environment and the problems with emissions. It also explains why I'll not be buying any Apple product until whoever manages this kind of absurd development wises up to science


     


    Before I start laughing, I want to know if you're making a joke. You really ought to add a sarcasm tag if you are, since I realize some people are silly enough to have this opinion, and we made fun of it earlier in the thread.






    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

    …why don't we mandate that all roofs (both residential and commercial) have solar panels installed??


     



    Because I (an individual, and/or a business) can't be made to pay for something like that. The idea's fine, but unless it's cheap enough as to cost no more than the standard procedure for wiring a building initially, it's not happening. On top of that there's NO way it will be done if it's forced on all buildings, not just new ones. 

  • Reply 23 of 30


    Greenpeace has its international headquarters in the Netherlands, a country that produces close to nothing in renewable energy.

  • Reply 24 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    thrang wrote: »
    I like how most of the panels are cloud-covered...

    Actually, solar panels can produce power even when there are clouds. Not as much, but they don't shut down entirely unless it's REALLY dark.

    That's why they use a correction factor based on how may days of full sun, how many days of partial clouds, etc when determining annual capacity and the required amount of storage.
    dralexc wrote: »
    Wow, what are all those dark green areas off in the distance? Oh yeah forests that Apple hasn't yet cut.
    This shows full ignorance of the environment and the problems with emissions. It also explains why I'll not be buying any Apple product until whoever manages this kind of absurd development wises up to science

    So what science are you referring to? Please do the detailed calculations of how Apple's decision to use solar instead of coal power is negative for the environment. Be sure to factor in destruction of some forest area as well as all the energy and other costs for production of solar panels as well as production of power plants to produce electricity from coal.

    Show your work.


    For those asking about the amount of land required, that's true for a facility like this. Data centers are massive energy users. For many industrial users and most residential users, covering the roof with solar cells would provide more than enough energy to cover their annual requirements (if they have adequate storage or are connected to the grid). We could supply a significant portion of our electricity needs from solar without cutting down a single tree.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post



    What a stupid waste of land. 100 acres of nature used up just to make a few idiots happy.


    I agree. I hate Green Peace. If they actually stood for environmentally sound existence, my opinion would be different.

  • Reply 26 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post




    For many industrial users and most residential users, covering the roof with solar cells would provide more than enough energy to cover their annual requirements (if they have adequate storage or are connected to the grid). We could supply a significant portion of our electricity needs from solar without cutting down a single tree.



    Panels on the roof of a home is just ugly. I hate those satellite dishes as well. They do manufacture solar roofing materials which are more attractive but you need to design the house properly to orient it for maximum electricity production and the cost is probably a 15-20 year payback. Some electric companies will not reimburse you for power sent back to the grid and local storage in batteries is complicated and bulky. Solar power is only effective if the power company is allowing you to run your meter backward. The new digital meters don't actually run backwards. If you plan to get a plugin hybrid car, solar power is definitely a good system for recharging it. But it all depends on the power company.

  • Reply 27 of 30
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    
    
    
    wizard69 wrote: »
    What a stupid waste of land. 100 acres of nature used up just to make a few idiots happy.

    Hell yeah Suckah! I pity the China-dissin' fool what don't build a coal-fired generator on land like dat.

    /s
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Why does everyone have to demonize people that care about the earth? Environmentalist is not a bad word. Don't be a lemming and let the politicians use you. Caring about the planet's health should not be a divisive issue.
  • Reply 29 of 30


    Originally Posted by techno View Post

    Why does everyone have to demonize people that care about the earth?


     


    It's the nonsensical manner in which they care that demonizes them.

  • Reply 30 of 30


    wow !! good job apple

Sign In or Register to comment.