Apple's new iOS 6 Camera app makes Panorama capture easy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

But I thought Apple wasn't plagued by fragmentation issues? whistle.gif

There is a difference between an app that you can install but doesn't work right and a restriction on whether the app can be installed at all. That is how Apple deals with obsolete functionality. They just don't let you install it if your device does not support it. Disappointing for owners of old devices but at least it eliminates the bug reports and support requests. You gotta pay if you want to play.

• Reply 22 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

The only thing I can think of is that they didn't have enough time to test it on the iPad, and that it'll come in 6.1 or so when they're sure it works perfectly. That's probably what happened with Siri for iPad.

They know that iPad is not a mobile device, unless you call moving from the kitchen to the living room mobile. Siri is tailored as a mobile device application. Plus, they don't like to completely duplicate iOS device functionality because they want you to buy both an iPhone and an iPad and perhaps an iPad mini and an iPod and an aTV and a MacBook Pro and an iMac. They leave little pieces and parts out of each model so you end up with the entire family of products. No one ever complains. They just happily add to their Apple ecosystem family. There is quite a bit of /s above or more like /tic. (tongue in cheek)

• Reply 23 of 53
    Missing a few salient facts.

No, i didn't. You were the one who missed the point entirely, so let me slap you in the face with a full debunk.

The 4th iPod touch has a single core A4 chip with half the RAM of iPhone 4, and a 0.7MP rear camera and VGA 0.3MP front camera (they're only good for FaceTime, not taking photos).

Doesn't stop Photosynth from working on it.

The original iPad has no camera, while the iPad 2 has a dual core A5 but the same 0.7MP rear/VGA front cameras as last year's iPod touch.

I've never mentioned the original iPad, and Photosynth works just fine on the iPad 2.

So the only device that could made decent panoramas but was left off was the new IPad, which has an A5X + 5MP camera.

The iPhone 4 has a 5MP camera too, and again, Photosynth works just fine on it. The fact that the 3rd generation iPad, which CPU is better than the iPhone 4S' and iTouch 5, and which camera is as good as the iTouch 5's, was purposely left out of the loop, is more than enough evidence to demonstrate that this choice had planned obsolescence rather than hardware compatibility in mind.

Apple supported the feature on the devices that make sense to capture high quality panoramic photos, including its 2010 iPhone 4. Not because of "BS," but because it made engineering sense.

The original post doesn't mention the iPhone 4 in the list of supported devices. Who's missing facts now?

Microsoft's Photosynth, like the app mentioned in the article, is designed to output highly compressed pano pics that are less than half a MB. Apple's new feature generates a 28MP image closer to 16MB. Not really the same thing.

You are absolutely correct there; compression uses up even more CPU...

Maybe next time you TLDR you shouldn't bother commenting either. 

Apparently you were the one who didn't read...

gqb wrote: »
    Not if his purpose is just to gripe and troll.

Your lack of reading comprehension doesn't make me a troll.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    vaelian wrote: »
    TLDR: Don't delete Microsoft's Photosynth.

Why on earth are you referencing Photosynth? It's not even remotely the same thing nor is it used for the same purpose.

Complaining Apple didn't release Panoramic mode on every device is stupid. A few days ago, everyone was perfectly fine without it. It's not like there aren't third party apps available.

All you do is complain, thread after thread. Blah, blah, dock connector, blah.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    mstone wrote: »
    There is a difference between an app that you can install but doesn't work right and a restriction on whether the app can be installed at all. That is how Apple deals with obsolete functionality. They just don't let you install it if your device does not support it. Disappointing for owners of old devices but at least it eliminates the bug reports and support requests. You gotta pay if you want to play.
    Pure horseshit and you know it. Siri wasn't allowed on the iPhone 4 for one reason: give people an exclusive option so they had a reason to buy the 4S. Siri works just fine on the 4 and the ipad2. I know, because I had Siri on both. You really believe the 4 couldn't handle a panoramic app developed by Apple? Are you saying 3rd party developers are better at making ios apps than Apple is?
    And now we get to see additional fragmentation in apps, because if you are a developer you have to rewrite everything to handle the 5's larger screen or deal with letterboxing. iOS has had the ability to scale up to 4" for about 2 years, but developers ignored it. Now you, as a customer, get to deal with a less than optimal experience.
  • Reply 26 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Pure horseshit and you know it. Siri wasn't allowed on the iPhone 4 for one reason: give people an exclusive option so they had a reason to buy the 4S. Siri works just fine on the 4 and the ipad2. I know, because I had Siri on both. You really believe the 4 couldn't handle a panoramic app developed by Apple? Are you saying 3rd party developers are better at making ios apps than Apple is?

And now we get to see additional fragmentation in apps, because if you are a developer you have to rewrite everything to handle the 5's larger screen or deal with letterboxing. iOS has had the ability to scale up to 4" for about 2 years, but developers ignored it. Now you, as a customer, get to deal with a less than optimal experience.

Meanwhile I will just sit back and enjoy. You bought into a certain level of functionality when you purchased the device. If some features get enhanced and others do not it does not change the fact that you still have everything you paid for. Be thankful you get the upgrades you do since with the alternative (Android) you basically need to to be a certified IT administrator to get any upgrades at all and even then they are not guaranteed to work with your particular device.

• Reply 27 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Photosynth has worked great for me for the last two years. I like the guide arrow in the iOS 6 app, but that it doesn't work on the IP4 is an issue if you happen to own one of those.

• Reply 28 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why on earth are you referencing Photosynth? It's not even remotely the same thing nor is it used for the same purpose.

Um... I'm sorry, but what? Photosynth is a photo app, who's one and only function is taking panoramic photos in a very similar fashion to this new feature in iOS 6. I understand you have a beef with this commenter, or whatever, but that's no excuse to start talking out of your butt like this.

• Reply 29 of 53
    mac.world wrote: »

Nope. It was clearly about resources.
  • Reply 30 of 53

So, what is being said mostly is that Apple does have fragmentation but people don't want to admit it.

• Reply 31 of 53
    pendergast wrote: »

Complaining Apple didn't release Panoramic mode on every device is stupid. A few days ago, everyone was perfectly fine without it. It's not like there aren't third party apps available.

All you do is complain, thread after thread. Blah, blah, dock connector, blah.

I'm referring Photosynth for two distinct reasons: it does what people were expecting the new Pictures app to do (which is also what Apple led us to believe in the keynote); and because Photosynth does not have any of the nonsensical hardware requirements.

There are many things I like about Apple and many that I dislike. Currently I'm as much of an Apple fag as any of you here, as the owner of most of their product lines and first-party accessories (Apple TV and Mac Pro excluded), however I have a very low tolerance for greed and bullshit. I can excuse their prices on everything because Apple means quality to me, however I can not excuse planned obsolescence or intentional barriers to interoperability, and every now and then Apple pulls the asshole card on people and does those things. Siri an iPhone 4S exclusive? I can take that, it needed the noise cancelation hardware on the 4S as well as the third-generation iPad to function properly in noisy environments. However things like the missing Bluetooth profiles, the purposely disabled cell phone hardware on the iPad, the new Lightning Connector that is less functional than the old one, and the unavailability of both FaceTime and iMessages on other platforms (either as first-party implementations on those platforms or at least as public specifications that third-parties can implement) are pure greed, and that I can not tolerate, because unlike many of you I am not a blind follower, and if this situation worsens I won't personally think twice about jumping ship.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    jackmohack wrote: »
    So, what is being said mostly is that Apple does have fragmentation but people don't want to admit it.

They are offering iOS 6 to 4 generations of iPhone, but not all 6. Yep completely fragmented¡
  • Reply 33 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They are offering iOS 6 to 4 generations of iPhone, but not all 6. Yep completely fragmented¡

And only two generations of iTouches. Fragmentation is fragmentation, Sol. If you're going to use this against Android devices, it's only fair to poke Apple in the proverbial rib when it does the same thing.

• Reply 34 of 53
    mac.world wrote: »
    But I thought Apple wasn't plagued by fragmentation issues? whistle.gif

And you thought correctly. Fragmentation only happens when there are so many incompatibilities between different versions and flavors of the same platform that developers end up without a common abstract base to develop for. This happens on Android because in addition to hardware changing a lot from flavor to flavor within the same generation, its APIs also change and become incompatible from generation to generation. That, coupled with the unavailability of firmware upgrades to many handsets results in a poor to non-existent common base that you can take for granted to target a broad set of existing hardware. On iOS, however, if you develop for the broad common set, you are guaranteed to target all currently existing Apple hardware.
  • Reply 35 of 53

Can I take capture high quality, panoramic images with iPhone in landscape mode? Like Microsoft's Photosynth app?

• Reply 36 of 53
    cash907 wrote: »
    And only two generations of iTouches. Fragmentation is fragmentation, Sol. If you're going to use this against Android devices, it's only fair to poke Apple in the proverbial rib when it does the same thing.

Your attempt to paint all Apple devices and all Android-based devices as being the same is very weak. No one in their right mind here or on Engadget, Gizmodo, etc. believes that devices released this year not getting an OS update is the same as some device 5yo device not getting an update. What you're foolishly rallying against is progress. All you're doing is rallying against any new devices being released, which I'm sure you'd claim Apple already doesn't release enough of and is therefore stagnant. All we're missing is the "Steve would never have let this happen comment."

What does the number of generations have to do with supporting an old device. There was new Touch last year — don't say you didn't consider that — so it's being supported back to the model released in 2010. Show me how many Android PMPs released in 2010 are getting Jelly Bean. Just one. Show me one! I don't you can. Dealing with fragmentation of a platform isn't about supporting every device and device type back to the beginning of time, it's about supporting your devices in a reasonable manner.

Here is something else I'm sure you'd not mention but I know you would have considered. What OS are they installed with? By the time the new Touches appear guess what OS they will be shipping with? iOS 6. There is no doubt about that. How many devices are shipping with Jelly Bean? That's fragmentation! That's not being able to go get a brand fucking spanking new Android-based device today and have the latest OS on it. Chances are you won't get the last three latest OSes on it.

No one in their right mind expects Android-based vendors to support their devices as long as Apple supports theirs (which I think over 2 years back is getting excessive) because these other vendors don't have the EoC to make it viable (even with a smaller number of models it still wouldn't be viable for most), but they should at least try to not screw the customer over at the get go by fragmenting their line even before the purchase is made.
  • Reply 37 of 53

Sounds like photosynth works well for you. I had nothing but problems with it. It would not handle the exposure differences for me. So all my shots with sky in them had verticle blue streaks. I tried shots very similar to the ones in the article and it couldn't handle it. The only apps i have found to work are 3rd party computer apps that crunch away at processing the stiching. Any suggestions how I can make photosynth work better?

It would have been nice to have seen 'more' side by side comparisons of Apples app to the more popular 3rd party ones like photosynth.

It 'looks' like Apple has done their home work to make it 'just work'.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    cash907 wrote: »
    Um... I'm sorry, but what? Photosynth is a photo app, who's one and only function is taking panoramic photos in a very similar fashion to this new feature in iOS 6. I understand you have a beef with this commenter, or whatever, but that's no excuse to start talking out of your butt like this.

Because Panoramic is Panoramic, right? It's all the same?

I personally have a third party panoramic app installed on my phone. It's cool.

But it doesn't take high-quality photos with no distortion. It doesn't handle changes on lighting well. Etc.

Apps like Photosynth are cool. But it doesn't take photos you'd want to print out. It's a bar trick at worst and a quick and easy way to capture a large object at best. If the new panoramic feature in the Camera app is as good as they say, we're talking about high quality stuff that looks great printed or displayed on the big screen.

Taking Apple to task and using an app who's only similarity is taking extra wide pictures to say that Apple is deliberately keeping it off the 4 is idiotic.

And complaining about the iPad, really? You're going to take high-quality panoramic photos with a 10" tablet? Ok...
  • Reply 39 of 53
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

If you want high quality, get a DSLR.  The iPhone is a snapshot camera (although a pretty good one considering) but it is not a professional level camera.

Let's just keep this in context....

• Reply 40 of 53
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Sounds like photosynth works well for you. I had nothing but problems with it. It would not handle the exposure differences for me. So all my shots with sky in them had verticle blue streaks. I tried shots very similar to the ones in the article and it couldn't handle it. The only apps i have found to work are 3rd party computer apps that crunch away at processing the stiching. Any suggestions how I can make photosynth work better?

I can only assume that you were taking panorama pictures with a locked exposure and started by pointing to a very dark place, but this is pure speculation.