Apple iMessage reportedly suffers sporadic worldwide outages

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    edit: Pipped by [B]ChristophB[/B].
  • Reply 22 of 41
    christophb wrote: »
    Until iOS 6, the iPad could not use your phone number for iMessage, it had to be an AppleID shaped like an email address. Messages on MacOS cannot (yet) use the phone number for Caller ID. I suspect that will change on or shortly after 9/19.
    Edit: Messages on the iPad and Mac are able to send iMessages to an iOS device phone number.

I'm running the GM now and it's working fine but I recall having some trouble getting iMessages to send to a user via one of the two address types (i,e,: phone number, email). I forget if it was from within iMessages or within Contacts but one of the ways didn't understand one of the formats for an iMessage.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm running the GM now and it's working fine but I recall having some trouble getting iMessages to send to a user via one of the two address types (i,e,: phone number, email). I forget if it was from within iMessages or within Contacts but one of the ways didn't understand one of the formats for an iMessage.

I didn't have that problem but I did have issues prior to the GM sending pics to non-iMessage phone numbers from my iPhone and iPad. I don't like how the Mac client appends iMessage beside every phone and email address. I'd rather it be by the ones that I've verified as iMessage. At a minimum it should tag the phone numbers with the designation (iPhone, Home, Office, mobile, ...) I applied in contacts so I can tell the difference. A person with 3 phone numbers and how am I supposed to remember which one is the iPhone. Who dials numbers in this century?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    christophb wrote: »
    I didn't have that problem but I did have issues prior to the GM sending pics to non-iMessage phone numbers from my iPhone and iPad. I don't like how the Mac client appends iMessage beside every phone and email address. I'd rather it be by the ones that I've verified as iMessage. At a minimum it should tag the phone numbers with the designation (iPhone, Home, Office, mobile, ...) I applied in contacts so I can tell the difference. A person with 3 phone numbers and how am I supposed to remember which one is the iPhone. Who dials numbers in this century?

Have you tried sending a formatted hyperlink via iMessages on the Mac? It comes though to iOS devices as just text. I tend to drag-and-drop links by dragging the favicon in the URL. Even if you create the link from iMessages Menu Bar they will still show up as just text. This doesn't happen going the other way, and it's not losing the data via the iMessages server because from iMessage clients between two Macs it still retains the hyperlink data. Very odd bug for any company to have in the 21st century.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Have you tried sending a formatted hyperlink via iMessages on the Mac? It comes though to iOS devices as just text. I tend to drag-and-drop links by dragging the favicon in the URL. Even if you create the link from iMessages Menu Bar they will still show up as just text. This doesn't happen going the other way, and it's not losing the data via the iMessages server because from iMessage clients between two Macs it still retains the hyperlink data. Very odd bug for any company to have in the 21st century.

I noticed that and reported it. 10.8.2 no love.

Another item they didn't fix is sharing the iMessage verification information between Messages and Safari. I send links using the share button next to the URL. I can have an ID in Messages that I have an active conversation going but Safari needs to check on it's own. Silly...

Oh, and look out for default enabling of read receipts on the Mac Client. iMessages are like SMS and phone calls. I'll get to you when I get to you.

Edit - Oh, I see... You're thinking it's an iOS 6 GM thing. Yep just sent something to myself and it's right on Messages and wrong on the iPhone. I reported the problem on the Mac Dev not iOS dev. Perhaps not in time.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I've not had problems sending or receiving, but iMessage RARELY updates conversations on multiple devices as it should.

One reason that could be happening is that people are sending to your phone number, not your email address.

One of the people I IM with constantly during the day just got her iPhone up to iOS 5.1.x so now she can iMessage but for some reason it doesn't work with me and I have iMessage. I can iMessage other people and so can she but we cannot iMessage to each other, it just goes regular AT&T text. What do you think the problem is?

• Reply 27 of 41
    mstone wrote: »
    One of the people I IM with constantly during the day just got her iPhone up to iOS 5.1.x so now she can iMessage but for some reason it doesn't work with me and I have iMessage. I can iMessage other people and so can she but we cannot iMessage to each other, it just goes regular AT&T text. What do you think the problem is?

If it's going via SMS then you two are using your phone numbers. What happens when you plug in iCloud email and vice versa? Does the Send button turn blue to indicate iMessage?
  • Reply 28 of 41

Quote:

If it's going via SMS then you two are using your phone numbers. What happens when you plug in iCloud email and vice versa? Does the Send button turn blue to indicate iMessage?

I don't know. We are just using iPhones and nothing turns blue in our txt.

• Reply 29 of 41

I suggest giving that a try even though your iPhone phone numbers should be registered with the iMessages server for your respective accounts.

Have you also looked at the iMessages settings to see how they are set up? I have mine to start new conversations with my iCloud email address specifically for the reasons ChristophB and I mentioned earlier
  • Reply 30 of 41

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I suggest giving that a try even though your iPhone phone numbers should be registered with the iMessages server for your respective accounts.

Have you also looked at the iMessages settings to see how they are set up? I have mine to start new conversations with my iCloud email address specifically for the reasons ChristophB and I mentioned earlier

Perhaps that might trigger the connection. I don't think either one of us has the other's iCloud email in their contact as we use our business email addresses.

• Reply 31 of 41
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple should've invested in Twitter before it got too popular.

indeed. but i just read that they're buying them now ...
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Perhaps that might trigger the connection. I don't think either one of us has the other's iCloud email in their contact as we use our business email addresses.

If I'm asking stupid questions, please forgive...

Did she create an iCloud account and use it and setup Messages?
    or

Is she using a pre-iCloud AppleID when enabling Messages?

Try deleting contact information and previous chats and send a Messages message with just her IPhone number and then use that conversation to create a new contact. Yes, I've seen that before.
  • Reply 33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Try deleting contact information and previous chats and send a Messages message with just her IPhone number and then use that conversation to create a new contact. Yes, I've seen that before.

That's never gonna happen. I have her mother including her maiden name in related people as well as all of her children, her childhood dog, first residence address and even her Clairol hair color number in that contact file

• Reply 34 of 41
    That's never gonna happen. I have her mother including her maiden name in related people as well as all of her children, her childhood dog, first residence address and even her Clairol hair color number in that contact file

Then perhaps delete just the iPhone phone number? It sounds to me like Messages is not setup right on her phone.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    I've had no problems with iMessage even this morning
    iMessages is working fine.

Although I do remember that some operators here in Europe would deliberately stop free messages
  • Reply 36 of 41
    iMessage is not reliable, but SMS is not fully reliable either.
    I wish people would realize the only reliable way to deliver a message is to call the person.
  • Reply 37 of 41

Let's just state the fact: Apple has never ever been great at anything that involves syncing. iDisk, MobileMe, iMessage, Facetime - none, I repeat, none of those products came or come close to reliability of such popular apps/platforms as Dropbox or Skype. The worst problem with them is that you never know when they'll work or no. You cannot trust any of them. I do not know why Apple despite spending billions on its new servers still cannot figure out how to achieve the reliability achieved by a small start up - Dropbox.

Steve Jobs was furious about Mobileme failure and fired the guy who was in charge of it, yet Apple still sucks at syncing. I just wish Apple bought Dropbox and Twitter and implemented the best in those platforms for iOS users.

• Reply 38 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

Let's just state the fact: Apple has never ever been great at anything that involves syncing. iDisk, MobileMe, iMessage, Facetime - none, I repeat, none of those products came or come close to reliability of such popular apps/platforms as Dropbox or Skype. The worst problem with them is that you never know when they'll work or no. You cannot trust any of them. I do not know why Apple despite spending billions on its new servers still cannot figure out how to achieve the reliability achieved by a small start up - Dropbox.

Steve Jobs was furious about Mobileme failure and fired the guy who was in charge of it, yet Apple still sucks at syncing. I just wish Apple bought Dropbox and Twitter and implemented the best in those platforms for iOS users.

I have few problems syncing, especially with iCloud.  My wife just had her iPhone 4S replaced due to a hardware issue.  Thanks to iCloud, she didn't even have to sync with our home Mac.  She had EVERYTHING back on her new phone within minutes at the Apple store.  

iMessage has been less reliable, though it will works well overall.  

• Reply 39 of 41
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

It's one more reason for Apple to buy one of RIM's divisions, i.e. the Messaging Network, when RIM is split into two separate entities sometime next year. It solves Apple's ineptitude of having a legitimate in-house messaging network service, and it also adds value to Apple's corporate offering - business people love the security and robustness of RIM's BB messaging network. 

• Reply 40 of 41

By and large I've been really pleased with it.  It had been pretty good until I started noticing issues with delivery last week.  A few times I'd be exchanging messages with someone, and then I wouldn't hear from them for 15, 20 minutes.  Then all of a sudden I'd get 5 or 6 messages at the same time.  Turned it off until they fix it, which will hopefully be soon.