Reported iMac inventory shortage may signal imminent refresh

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

if anyone's been paying attention there is an iMac refresh coming in the next couple of weeks but i think they will probably just be a redesign body and slimmer i.e. NO DVD/CD Drive and probably thunderbolt capable you can forget RETINA display (maybe they'll produce a less glossy reflective display) because i think it would be costly and they probably cannot produce enough as yet.... but i heard the 21" model would be announced with the iPad Mini and maybe a week or 2 after the 27" so no internal Disc Drive for slimmer design but you can bet there will be Thunderbolt, USB 3 and maybe WiFI 802.AC

I know several people who are waiting for this upgrade and are due for these new iMacs

BitzandBitez

I'm one of those people. I am tempted by the rMPB but I don't need the mobility so I'm going to wait to see what the refreshed iMacs are like before making my final decision.

• Reply 22 of 34
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I'm so hoping for a redesign, so I'm waiting for an event announcement.

If there's no redesign I'll wait one more year before updating, I don't want to buy now and have a slimmer iMac come out next year :(

• Reply 23 of 34

Aside form iMac stock issues, I've also noticed stock of the Thunderbolt Display getting rather low as well. Argos and PCWorld sold off every one they had at a discount (£100 off) with no restock date. Amazon UK doesn't even list it anymore (and by that I mean its not sold and shipped by Amazon themselves in the listings).

Maybe we'll see an updated version with USB 3?

• Reply 24 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    All Macs are hampered by the very high cost of SSD which is the only way to go for at least the boot drive these days. I hope Apple use their might to bring the cost down to them as they have with all other peripherals they adopted across the board in the past. 1TB or at the very least .5TB SDD should be standard in every Mac by 2013 IMHO and through bulk buying Apple and internal R&D should position Macs with SSD with no price differential from competitors still selling HDs.

The post PC era is here but as I have said many times, Macs are only just getting started. A Mac ain't no fracking PC!
  • Reply 25 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    aia wrote: »
    I'm one of those people. I am tempted by the rMPB but I don't need the mobility so I'm going to wait to see what the refreshed iMacs are like before making my final decision.

I normally sell my main Mac every two years and upgrade. However, I am thinking of retaining my 15" mid 2010 MBP i7 (which I have added a boot 256 GIG SSD to as well as retaining a data 1TB HD) as a mobile for several more years but adding a new iMac as my main computer. My only doubt revolves around not knowing what Apple are doing with the MacPro which was my main machine since they came out up till a two years back when I moved to the MBP + LCD external display for work at a desk since the MacPro seemed to be lagging in development. I have sorely missed the true multitasking and crunching power of the MacPro to be honest. The good news is my MBP with the SSD is now way faster for most tasks but I still lust for raw power. So is it going to be worth waiting for a Pro or will a new iMac be sufficient ?... so many questions ... lol
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ktappe wrote: »
    It's for real this time. We ordered four iMacs a month ago. We got 2 of them and have yet to get the other 2. They really are in very short supply.  

Are they stock configurations or BTO?
  • Reply 27 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Matte option please. Thanks.

• Reply 28 of 34

My very old 17" MBPro has been on it's last leg for over a year. Finances are a big issue as well as my aging eyes so I was prepared to bite the bullet and get a 27" iMac on credit, but I've been waiting since Spring for the supposedly imminent new iMac models. I was really hoping they would be announced with the iPhone event. Now I would consider just settling for the current iMac models, but they seem to be in very short supply.

I'm starting to seriously consider trying my hand at building a Hackintosh... 

• Reply 29 of 34
    I for one am not watching for an event announcement on any iMacs. What could they do that is event worthy that hasn't had an event of some kind. Likely nothing.

The computers and displays I think will be a silent release. IF the iPad mini is real, and I'm not certin it is, that could get an event. But not the computers.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Aside form iMac stock issues, I've also noticed stock of the Thunderbolt Display getting rather low as well.

Maybe we'll see an updated version with USB 3?

And HDMI? Do that and perhaps make a larger size model and you have the 'real' Apple TV. Increase the screen quality and refresh rate and you really have it. Then revamp the little black box a bit, say up the storage for better caching of streams, had the hardware to push h.265, better audio, even perhaps the Digital 3D from Pixar etc, who owning to their history with Steve would probably be happy to play test subjects, and Apple could be another step on their way to competing with cable.
  • Reply 31 of 34

Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

if anyone's been paying attention there is an iMac refresh coming in the next couple of weeks…

We don't know that.

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Buy an external. 

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I for one am not watching for an event announcement on any iMacs. What could they do that is event worthy that hasn't had an event of some kind. Likely nothing.

If the iMac gets an event, it will be because it not only got a retina display, but also got a full-on redesign. "Thinner because no ODD while still looking the same" isn't really a redesign.

• Reply 32 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    satchmo wrote: »
    Buy an external.

Or pull the cover glass off. If it's a reworked model, I wouldn't be surprised they doubled the antireflective quality, the Retina display cuts down the reflections significantly over previous models. 
    If the iMac gets an event, it will be because it not only got a retina display, but also got a full-on redesign. "Thinner because no ODD while still looking the same" isn't really a redesign.

I think the MBP Retina's design changes largely mimics that description though.
  • Reply 33 of 34

Short on stories this week? Lets spark things up with shortages of iMacs.

Next please!! 

• Reply 34 of 34
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I normally sell my main Mac every two years and upgrade. However, I am thinking of retaining my 15" mid 2010 MBP i7 (which I have added a boot 256 GIG SSD to as well as retaining a data 1TB HD) as a mobile for several more years but adding a new iMac as my main computer. My only doubt revolves around not knowing what Apple are doing with the MacPro which was my main machine since they came out up till a two years back when I moved to the MBP + LCD external display for work at a desk since the MacPro seemed to be lagging in development. I have sorely missed the true multitasking and crunching power of the MacPro to be honest. The good news is my MBP with the SSD is now way faster for most tasks but I still lust for raw power. So is it going to be worth waiting for a Pro or will a new iMac be sufficient ?... so many questions ... lol

My only computer in my home right now is a rev A Air which I purchased as a refurb in 09 - it's mainly used for light web browsing. And I really do mean light browsing, as that thing gets really slow once you go on the Flash-heavy sites. I've been long overdue for an upgrade, but I've been making do with my laptop (PC) from work. I've just been issued a new laptop at work but they've now become very strict about what we can and cannot install, so now is the time to replace that Air. Plus I've been wanting to focus more on OS X (I really cannot stand Windows).