Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

No. Only the information you have publicly displayed on your Facebook profile. It doesn't change anything.

Thanks.  

• Reply 62 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

You would think Apple with their easy UI would do something like your suggestion. Instead they took the Facebook all-in approach and you have to go back and disable the features you don't want after it screws up your address book. I want to use the facebook share sheet but I want facebook far away from my mac address book.

Agreed 110%. In 10.8.2, Apple has teamed with Facebook to grant the latter access to our Contacts, what used to be much more elegantly known as Address Book.

Facebook gets access to our Contacts list. Not just those on Facebook but all of them - business and personal. Every single one.

Hey, what possibly could go wrong here?

• Reply 63 of 66

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Facebook gets access to our Contacts list. Not just those on Facebook but all of them - business and personal. Every single one.

lol, privacy. Like anyone actually cares about that anymore, right? Right? 

*cut to 2017*

"Hey, a new [post-Twitter equivalent] from the LockheedMartin corporate account… 'Finally got our Mach 8 scramjet working in a plane shaped to dampen the booms. Commercial incorporation in three months; here're the blueprints: bit.ly/th1515f4k3'. Ah, well, good for them."

• Reply 64 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Agreed 110%. In 10.8.2, Apple has teamed with Facebook to grant the latter access to our Contacts, what used to be much more elegantly known as Address Book.

seems multiple opinions on true nature of Facebook to Address Book (Contacts) connection.

I am hesitant to do the 10.8.2 update, even though historically, each Apple OS release needs to get to about .3 or .4 before it seems to have cleaned up most of the new version issues.

So what I would like to know, if anyone can answer, is there a way to Prevent/Prohibit/Turn OFF the Facebook integration connection?

Or is it forced on everyone who needs and gets the 10.8.2 update?

If so, then we, at least those interested in privacy, need to start flooding the Apple Feedback site with comments, suggestions, complaints -- as I am doing now.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

• Reply 65 of 66

It is a good update that improves battery life noticeably.

• Reply 66 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

seems multiple opinions on true nature of Facebook to Address Book (Contacts) connection.

I am hesitant to do the 10.8.2 update, even though historically, each Apple OS release needs to get to about .3 or .4 before it seems to have cleaned up most of the new version issues.

So what I would like to know, if anyone can answer, is there a way to Prevent/Prohibit/Turn OFF the Facebook integration connection?

Or is it forced on everyone who needs and gets the 10.8.2 update?

If so, then we, at least those interested in privacy, need to start flooding the Apple Feedback site with comments, suggestions, complaints -- as I am doing now.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

It's an all or nothing thing. You either sign up to allow Facebook access to your contacts list, or you don't. Doesn't appear to be any limiting preference options. So, you don't need to turn it off, just don't turn it on.