List of Passbook supported apps appears in iOS 6 App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the public release of iOS 6, Apple has also brought its Passbook section of the App Store online, giving for the first time a list of new companies that will support the new service.

Though a handful of applications are listed on the App Store as being Passbook compatible, downloading and installing them does not currently make the companies' respective store cards, tickets and other services appear in the Passbook application in iOS 6.

Launching Passbook in iOS 6 will inform users that the software is "the simplest way to get all your passes in one place." A summary of what Passbook can do is provided, and a link to the App Store is featured at the bottom of the screen.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the full list of highlighted Passbook applications on the App Store includes:
  • Fandango Movies ? Times & Tickets
  • Live Nation
  • Lufthansa
  • MLB.com At Bat
  • Sephora to Go
  • Ticketmaster
  • Walgreens
Passbook

The relatively short length of the list is noteworthy, because a number of the applications highlighted by Apple in its public demonstrations are not immediately available.

Other companies that have been shown with Passbook include Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines, Amtrak, W Hotels, Starwood Hotels, Starbucks, Target, and Apple's own retail stores. The Apple Retail application was last updated on Sept. 5, but does not yet support Passbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77

Passbook really ought to come to the iPad, as well.

So what happens when you have more cards than can be seen? It just scrolls, right? So on the iPad just keep one column, have that scroll, but either show more data at a glance and have multiple cards be able to be pulled out to the side at once.

• Reply 2 of 77
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I don't get it. I have the latest version of Fandango installed, and I have Passbook, but all I see is the same Passbook opening screen listed above telling me to go to the App Store.

Where's the integration?
  • Reply 3 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't get it. I have the latest version of Fandango installed, and I have Passbook, but all I see is the same Passbook opening screen listed above telling me to go to the App Store.

Where's the integration?

I'm assuming when you next buy a ticket using Fandango it will appear in Passbook.

• Reply 4 of 77
    When I open passbook I see the open screen above. When I tap "App Store" I see message "can't connect to iTunes store" jQuery1810727014557930197_1348083914609? Anyone else....
  • Reply 5 of 77
    When I try to open the iTunes link in passbook it opens the store but says its not available. Reboot hasn't helped. Wtf?
  • Reply 6 of 77
    When I try to open the iTunes link in passbook it opens the store but says its not available. Reboot hasn't helped. Wtf?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Is it required the use of a compatible Passbook app? I thought that we would buy our tickets on the internet, and then we would receive an e-mail with the ticket, which would open in Passbook, no need for more apps. What am I missing?
  • Reply 8 of 77

You have to go into the Fandango app, find a ticket you have purchased, and choose -> add to -> passbook. Then that instance of that ticket will appear in the passbook app.

• Reply 9 of 77

You have to go into the Fandango app, find a ticket you have purchased, and choose -> add to -> passbook. Then that instance of that ticket will appear in the passbook app.

• Reply 10 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexatriene View Post

Ahh, I thought this stuff was automatic. What's the point if I have to go into the app anyway to send it over to Passbook?

• Reply 11 of 77

Because passbook isn't the place to buy the tickets and cards its the place to store all of them for you. Once the store cards or coupons are in passbook then they update automatically. 

• Reply 12 of 77
    I honestly can't figure out how Passbook works. Seems very confusing, especially to average consumers who don't know ANYTHING about it. The app is so basic, you click it and it says 'this will store your tickets etc', then a button that says 'app store' - and it loads a completely random list of apps. What?
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Wait, so why doesn't Passbook work with the iPad, that doesn't make sense. Even if its WiFi only (or the LTE version) it should be there, you should be able to sync to all devices, Mac, iPhone, iTouch and iPad. This way you can have your Apple world synced wherever you go.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    Wait, so why doesn't Passbook work with the iPad, that doesn't make sense. Even if its WiFi only (or the LTE version) it should be there, you should be able to sync to all devices, Mac, iPhone, iTouch and iPad. This way you can have your Apple world synced wherever you go.

Because only an idiot would show up at a concert, baseball game, movie theater, airport terminal, store to check in/checkout with an iPad. This is like an ewallet -- an iPad isn't the target device.
  • Reply 15 of 77

Quote:

Ahh, I thought this stuff was automatic. What's the point if I have to go into the app anyway to send it over to Passbook?

Yeah... That's lame, Apple.

• Reply 16 of 77

When I click on 'App Store' in the Passbook app, all I get is "Cannot connect to iTunes Store," even though I can connect to it via the iTunes app.

Right now, it's a piece of useless used-up screen real estate.

• Reply 17 of 77
  • Reply 18 of 77

Quote:

Because only an idiot would show up at a concert, baseball game, movie theater, airport terminal, store to check in/checkout with an iPad. This is like an ewallet -- an iPad isn't the target device.

Tons of people have their iPads with them all the time now. I had mine out the other day at the airport with my boarding tickets because it was easier to have out then my laptop. Not saying it is a strong point to have passbook on the iPad just saying more and more people are carrying them with them. 

• Reply 19 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Passbook really ought to come to the iPad, as well.

So what happens when you have more cards than can be seen? It just scrolls, right? So on the iPad just keep one column, have that scroll, but either show more data at a glance and have multiple cards be able to be pulled out to the side at once.

Have you not watched the Keynote or read about Passbook? Passbook uses your location and will pop up whichever card you need automatically when you are in range of where you need to use it. Example, if you go to a starbucks location, your starbucks card will be waiting for you on your screen when you get near it. Not sure why you would need to scroll through multiple cards since you can only be at one store at a time lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Passbook on the iPad doesn't make sense to me as the whole purpose of passbook is to make payment more convenient by making your wallet or keychain "lighter" or obsolete. Meaning, you don't have to carry around as much cash and/or cards but instead use the device that you have with you all the time(your phone) as your one stop shop. If a person was going to lug their iPad around to make payments at stores why not just say screw Passbook all together and continue carrying a wallet and keychain?

• Reply 20 of 77
    When I click on 'App Store' in the Passbook app, all I get is "Cannot connect to iTunes Store," even though I can connect to it via the iTunes app.

Right now, it's a piece of useless used-up screen real estate.

Have you tried Reseting Network Settings in Settings » General » Reset?